What would you do/ what would your reaction be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Jim's wife buys and refinishes furniture, and sells them to shops and at flea markets and online. She is refinishing a table and needs a belt sander, which Jim doesn't own. He knows his neighbor, Frank, owns one, so Jim asks to Frank to loan him the belt sander. Frank does so, as is common among neighbors in the neighborhood.

Jim's wife burns up the motor on the belt sander. Jim tells Frank that his belt sander is ruined, and asks where he got it so he can replace it. So far, so good.

Turns out, the belt sander is a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Cost was probably $20 or $30 or so. It was well-used, but was still serviceable at the time of loaning/ borrowing.

At this point, how does Frank react?

1. Says thanks, waits for new replacement for used sander.

2 Offers to pay half for the replacement of his used sander.

What factors influence your decision?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    If there was no intentional misuse I say don't worry about it, it was on its last legs anyway. Twenty bucks aint a lot to sweat, I knew it was cheap when I loaned it.

The good will towards a neighbor can go a long way in ways in the future you might not expect.

Edit : what influenced my decision? I like to think I was raised right and not everything is an eye for an eye.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    If I'm Jim, I'm going to buy a new sander and say sorry about the old one.

If I'm Frank I'm going to say thanks, but sincerely say that it was not necessary since the project I bought it for is complete and it was on borrowed time.

Price is the biggest factor. If I broke his DeWalt, the conversation might be a little more in depth.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If I'm Frank I'm going to say thanks, but sincerely say that it was not necessary since the project I bought it for is complete and it was on borrowed time.

Price is the biggest factor. If I broke his DeWalt, the conversation might be a little more in depth.

Yep, I will buy a new one for what I borrowed. If I broke his DeWalt I would replace it too. If I cannot afford to replace it I shouldn’t borrow it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I guess it depends. If I know Frank uses it quite often I would probably replace his sander with something a little better, I mean I'm already going to be there buying one for the home. If I know it's just a tool Frank has and it hardly ever gets used I will probably just get him the HF replacement.

If I'm Frank I'm going to thank him for being a stand up guy and offer him a beer, and remember it in the future.

This is why I hate to borrow stuff.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Jim...........replace the HF tool.
    If even a casual, neighborly friendship is only valued at $20-30, you have no business loaning/borrowing tools from each other.
    Consider it a cheap, lesson learned in purchasing cheap tools.

Frank.............same, evaluate the worth of his friendship.
    Don't overvalue a cheap tool and let it go.
    Take a positive out of the experience and go buy yourself a better version of that tool. (and if Jim replaced the HF one already, gift it back)

The driving factor for my answers are, not being a dick to my friends, good ones aren't too plentiful and mine are worth more to me than a power tool.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, I will buy a new one for what I borrowed. If I broke his DeWalt I would replace it too. If I cannot afford to replace it I shouldn’t borrow it.
    Bingo. If I use any of your tools and I can not return as borrowed then it is replaced like and same if possible.
    That’s how I was raised.

Also this thought, if you do this for a living/revenue stream then tool up. Seriously.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Right on. I was the loaner of a very expensive worm drive circular saw, the borrower burned it up and refused to reimburse any cost because "it was old and ready to die anyway". It was a little over 2 years old and had very few miles on it.

I ultimately let it go because the wives were good friends although I did have a little fun at his expense a few years later. He had loaned my wife his truck to haul some furniture one weekend, when she had finished with it, I called him up and told him that we had accidentally caught his truck on fire, and it had been totaled. Of course, my reasoning that it was old and ready to die anyway didn't help him overcome his grief at the news of his destroyed truck. When she pulled up in his undamaged truck a few minutes later he called me back rather put off by my joke at his expense. I never borrowed or loaned anything from or to him again.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I would replace the sander. If you borrow something, no matter what it is, you return it in as good or better shape than when you borrowed it. When we were building our cabin, my friend brought his dewalt sliding miter saw down for to us to use. We used it for several months, I kept asking him if he needed it back, he kept saying no. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and went and purchased a new dewalt sliding miter saw, just like his and dropped it off at his house. I still needed a miter saw, his old one worked fine so I kept it and gave him the new one out of appreciation for his help. As others have stated, a tool can be easily replaced, a friendship, not so easily.

Top Bottom