What was the first horror movie that really got to you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Which INGO member ya think these are?

[video=youtube;UBMLQ14OgPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBMLQ14OgPw[/video]

:laugh:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Very little actual gore, but lots of implication "want some BBQ?" but the editing made for terrific tension, it's what made the movie scary. First time I saw it was "WHOA!"

The only movie since then that had a similar impact was the first Alien.

I don't find science-fictional monsters and hokum-spookum monsters scary, with exception maybe of Alien (and frankly, seeing the monster for the first time was a little bit of a letdown). I can be surprised during a movie when the monster jumps out unexpectedly, but they don't induce "horror". Tension and unknown are better for that.

And people. People are scary. They happen in real life. TCM has scary people in it. I never found any of Steven King's books scary -- except for Misery. There was no supernatural stuff, just a mentally disturbed woman. THAT was scary.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The Exorcist. I can take clowns and slashers and big evil dogs, but demonic possession scares the living **** out of me. Maybe I would not be aware of this fact if my parents had not let me see it when I was eleven.

Yep. First one that was "disturbing".

Second one was "Alien".

Third one was "Les Miserables". Anne Hathaway's singing was more disturbing than the Alien critters.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This one just popped into my head, Night of the Hunter. First saw it as a kid in the 80s, figured, how scary can a black and white movie from the 50s be?

Robert Mitchum was scary as f**k in that movie.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I was 5 or 6

Me and dad started watched creature from the black lagoon together one night. Not long into the movie dad got up to go pee and must have just gone to bed. I was so wrapped up in the movie I expected dad to come back but he never did. I watched the movie alone in the dark all by myself. Scared the **** out of me.

Dad got a good laugh out of it in the morning.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Exorcist, Omen, Alien, first 2 Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street.

Maybe you guys can weigh in....for movies that depend on startling, I get so worked up anticipating whats going to happen in the scene I think they are scarier when I watch the rerun.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Deliverance....Mom and Dad left for the evening and I was home alone channel surfing and watched in the dark....before it was over I had the shotgun across my lap in the chair and making a oath I would never go any farther South than INDY for the rest of my life...LOL. I was around 11 years old.

Before that was Jason and the Argonauts, the flying bat things scared me bad, was probably 5 years old, that night was windy and night lights showed branch shadows through my bedroom window and all I could see was those bat people things.

Last edited:

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    When I was a kid I watched a cable special at a friends house (We didnt have cable) that was an 80s version of the Twilight Zone. One of the stories was about an abusive father who terrorized his kids. One night after dad abused the boy and bulldozed his toys in the sandbox as punishment, the toys (army men, jeeps, etc) came to life and killed the dad. horrifically.

The other favorite was "Dark Night of the Scarecrow". Its about a gentle giant developmentally disabled man that all the rednecks in the community feared and hated. He saved a young girl from a dog attack while they were playing together away from her home in the country. He fought off the dog and carried her to safety, bringing her bloody body home to her mom. Dad freaked when he heard and gathered a posse assuming he harmed the girl. Moments after chasing him down and brutally killing him, Dad gets word via CB that the man they are chasing is a hero; he saved her life by bringing her to safety. They all are shocked, but agree to sweep the mistake under the rug. One by one, the farmers that chased the man down are picked off in various supernatural "accidents". The ending is really cool.

If you have amazon prime, its free to watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Night-S...951&sprefix=night+of+the+scare,aps,187&sr=8-1

That movie got me as a kid (35 +/-) years ago and I've never been able to find the name. Thank you for that.

Poltergeist was the one that scared the hell out of me when I was under 10 years old, however long ago it came out.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Any Japanese Horror Movie is Disturbing to me. Ringu, The Intreview, etc.

The First Saw movie was disturbing, then the scene in SAW(3?) where the female Doctor performs brain surgery with a cordless drill cleared the Theater Literally.

Top Bottom