• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I've done that a lot. Until I started seeing the results, turtles starving to death with their nose and snout shot off and I was positive it was taking their brains right out. It was my own pond and I was the only one shooting them. It bothered me enough I didn't kill them that way any more.
    +1 to you! It's one thing to eliminate a pest. But in my opinion totally wrong to make something suffer.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    A few weeks ago I was coming home from town and saw an suv stopped with it's flashers on....4 people outside the vehicle trying to herd a 15 pound snapper off the road...one had a sweatshirt and was going to throw the shirt on top of it and grab it that way...I stopped and asked if they needed help. I could tell they were not at all familiar with anything outdoorsy. I walked up put one foot on its back, grabbed it by the tail and carried it to the side ditch...they flipped out like I was Steve Irwin or something....all I said was "I saw this on TV once":rockwoot:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Was at my parent’s house today and we found this big snapper at the edge of their driveway. We figured he must have moseyed on over from the pond across the street.

Took us about 10 minutes to get him to go inside an empty trash can so we could carry him across the street back to the pond.

photoja.jpg

fennsta_78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westfield
    A family I know loves to eat turtle. They would catch them and put them in a big tank with fresh water for at least a week. It helped to clean them out. The last one they caught, they cut the head off and hose clamped a garden hose to it's neck. Turned on the water and flushed it out.

Every year, my neighbor would make 50 gallons of turtle soup and that is how we cleaned them. We used to have 5-15 turtles in blue drums out back. Sometimes they would sit in those barrels for 6 months till we got enough weight to make the soup. Good eating but got a nasty attitude.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Snapping turtles are definately some mean suckers. Caught my fair share of them when i lived with my parents. I'd always find them either in the road in front of thier house or in their yard. I use to pick them up with a coal shovel, i'd flip them over first, pick'em up and take them to the nearest pond, mom and dad had several ponds near them.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    Why do you not want them there?

They eat my game fish, bull frogs and smaller turtles. Since we spotted the snappers, no one wants to go swimming in the pond anymore. I would feel better about kids playing around the yard without the snappers around. The one in the photo came out of the pond and was walking through the yard.

My question back to you is, why would I want them?

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    that turtle looks delicious!!! Back in Missouri we would use a trot line with 12" steel leaders and half of a sunfish. get a bunch of guys together and hang the snappers from the trees by a nail and start skinning.....ahhhh good times

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Well actually I do that also, I float 4 alligator heads in the pond, it keeps the Canada Geese away.

aligator2.jpg

aligator1.jpg
    I saw that a few years ago not too far from here....only the geese were sitting on top of the floating heads...the geese in my area wouldn't know an alligator from a giraffe :):...I don't think they've ever been south of US 40 let alone all the way to florida or somewhere to be scared of a gator

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think wildlife is cool. If I lived in FL, I'd probably allow an alligator live in my pond. :D

Every one who don't own a pond thinks that until they put a hundred grand in to the ground and a dam and then a few years in to stocking it to get a nice place to fish and enjoy. Then a couple years after that the fish are gone and there's a bunch of turtle heads popping up all over.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Every year, my neighbor would make 50 gallons of turtle soup and that is how we cleaned them. We used to have 5-15 turtles in blue drums out back. Sometimes they would sit in those barrels for 6 months till we got enough weight to make the soup. Good eating but got a nasty attitude.

Im assuming those turtles in the drums were live? Im not usually all PETA, but thats pretty messed up to keep a live wild animal in a container like that for 6 months. I have no issues with killing them, but no need to be cruel.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Im assuming those turtles in the drums were live? Im not usually all PETA, but thats pretty messed up to keep a live wild animal in a container like that for 6 months. I have no issues with killing them, but no need to be cruel.

Not trying to start a battle over ethics here but did you eat any meat or eggs yesterday? If so was it all 'free range'? Most animals for food are kept in confinement today. You ever been in a chicken farm? Or a modern dairy? Is he better off to kill the turtle quickly and waste it? Or keep it in clean water for a bit then eat it?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I grew up catching them, we just would tie a line to a tree or bush on the bank and throw the hook and bait (any kind of meat) out in the water overnight. the next day be careful when you approach your line because a lot of the time they will come up on the bank and wait in the brush. cut the line, grab him by the tail while holding him out from your body with his breast facing towards you and your good to go. when you pick him up take the flat part of your foor and step on the front of his shell where his head is then reach around for the tail. these turtles are SUPER fast so you need to know what your doing or you might loose some fingers figuring it out.

to kill them before cleaning we always would just whack them in the nose with a 2x4. then grab their jaw with plyers and pull the head out and cut it off. the head CAN still bite you after its cut off so I always would bury the head.

they taste sooooooooo damn good!! I wish I had somewhere around indy to catch them. id be in heaven.

Top Bottom