What should I tell this guy??? ((About Deer Hunting))

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    A buddy of my cousins was telling him how he didnt want to go down south with us during opening wkd of shotgun this year if we dont know FOR SURE is he is going to see a deer!! I got a little upset when he told me that! I just need to figure out what I can say to the guy to get him to understand that....THATS HUNTING!! You never really know For Sure! I dont feel like hunting is just All About Shooting an Animal and going home! Any ideas on what we should say to him>>???:bash:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I've never been hunting, myself, although I'd like to go some time.

And I know I won't be silly enough when I do go to think that I'll bag a 10-pointer.... or to bag anything at all, for that matter.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I would tell him to keep his arse at home and play deer hunter on the computer or something. wouldnt take anyone with me who said that.

seriously though...man up and tell him to screw off,you'll enjoy yourself more...especially if you dont have to deal with someone cryin cause they didnt see anything.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I would tell him its his choice but once he bows out - he is out. I am sure there are many other people who would appreciate the opportunity with no such assurances. If he doesn't understand that is fine. Who would want to spend their weekend at deer camp with a person that had that kind of outlook on life anyway?

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    He must be young..Still has the blood lust..once you get older or hunt for a few years just being in deer camp is all you need. You start to enjoy just being in the woods and decompressing from the world.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    I would hunt all weekend, kill or no kill and have a good time, then stop by the local check station and let him look at other people's kill, and then tell him "There, you saw a deer".

On the other hand, I would just leave him at home. Then he will be crying when you come back because you didn't take him.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    It would likely be better for him to stay at home. Doesn't sound like the type who would tolerate the cold and sitting still while being quiet for more than an hour at a time.\

Chances are it would ruin everyone's experience.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Tell him that the only way he is guaranteed to see deer is to hang out all day at the check station. He'll see plenty of nice ones come through and that might help him understand why we spend so much time out there.

No guarantees in hunting, which is why it is called "hunting" and not "killing."

I'm in complete agreement with everyone else that leaving this guy at home will make for a better trip for all involved. Unless he was just making a silly comment, he's got the wrong attitude and would probably also be "that guy" who shoots at moving bushes because it's not acceptable to him to go home empty handed.

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    I like all your suggestions!! lol Well, he ISN'T going. I was thinking about it when I got off here last night and I just don't want to hunting with someone that doesn't enjoy just Being Outdoors!! I enjoy every minute of it!! Its actually My Cousins buddy but I know him also... I called my cousin this morning and I told him to tell TJ that I don't want him to go with us if he has that atitude about it. (maybe if he changes his outlook on hunting, then he may go with us sometime before the season is over) He is around 27 years old, but hasn't hunted much at all.

I appreciate all the replies!! Thank you!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A buddy of my cousins was telling him how he didnt want to go down south with us during opening wkd of shotgun this year if we dont know FOR SURE is he is going to see a deer!! I got a little upset when he told me that! I just need to figure out what I can say to the guy to get him to understand that....THATS HUNTING!! You never really know For Sure! I dont feel like hunting is just All About Shooting an Animal and going home! Any ideas on what we should say to him>>???:bash:

I'd tell him it sounds like he needs to "find an expert to go hunt with we'll fill your spot with my little sister. She don't cry as much, let me know how it turns out", turn around and never look back.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I would hunt all weekend, kill or no kill and have a good time, then stop by the local check station and let him look at other people's kill, and then tell him "There, you saw a deer".

On the other hand, I would just leave him at home. Then he will be crying when you come back because you didn't take him.

If I did get "stuck" with the jerkoff after a comment like that, I'd just swing by the check station on the way out to the field and drop him off. "There, I guarantee you'll see plenty there today. I'll pick you up a little after dark."

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

I would use it as an opportunity to educate him on what it really means to hunt so he doesn't go off telling everyone that same line. Could be used as fuel for the fire for the anti-hunting crowd to point him out as another blood thirsty right winger. I am a first year deer hunter and for me it is about getting back outdoors like I did when I was younger. I am spending my time with my dad. We discuss articles, strategy and the time we spend in the woods seeing absolutely zero we use to think through what we would do different. I love the time I don't see anything. I see turkey, squirrels, and love the complete silence.

For me, the days that go by without seeing deer just make the times I have that much more exciting when it does happen.

Its about getting back to your roots a little when people lived off the land and hunted for food. Its about learning something you can pass along to your children. I have never seen a gangster hunter so I think its a good way to bring up a child to learn responsibility, patience and dedication. Its about listening to the wisdom of an old timer and hearing some good stories as well as developing some new ones of your own.

Its an escape back to the freedom I once had as a kid and younger man before this computer based desk job with guaranteed health insurance grabbed me.

This is what I would say to him but I am learning that more people could care less. Perfect example, my brother wants a camo shotgun but doesn't hunt. I asked him why...he said it looks cool.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Wow, there must be a tool shed someplace thats missing a tool. When I dont see deer, I question what im doing or did wrong, not the deer. Its good to introduce people to hunting, but hunting isnt for everybody:dunno:

Top Bottom