• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am looking to get a lever-action, Marlin or Henry, but can't decide on caliber. .44mag or .45colt?? (Can't decide on Marlin or Henry for that matter.) Could someone give pros and cons? I would use it as an alternative for deer, general fun, and just to have one. I don't have a pistol in either caliber but that might be the next step and should also be considered. Sorry, multiple questions at once.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like the Marlin in .357 magnum. Sufficient for deer. Useful for small game. Cheaper fun. Only 6 pounds. Made in the USA. I prefer the more rapid reloading possible through the side gate (Marlin) as opposed to loading through the side of the tube (i.e. Henry method). I also prefer the solid top as opposed to the open top of the Winchester and clones. It's very much a Ford vs. Chevy thing, however.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The Marlin 1894's seem to be hit and miss. I had a terrible experience with one and it came back from a return trip to the factory still unacceptable so I'm done with them. OTOH I've never shot one of their big bore's that did not group up very nicely. I have a Marlin 444 at the moment and it is a real shooter. This of course is no help for an IN deer rifle. Have not shot the Henry's; I had a Puma in 45 Colt that shot very well, however the sights must have been set up for cowboy loads as with heavy loads I ran out of adjustment, and aftermarket sight options are nil without gunsmithing work so I sold it. Friend of mine has a Winny in 44mag - it shoots fine.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Of the options you mentioned, I'd take the Marlin in .44Mag. The flat-top/side eject design is easier to scope, the gun is available in stainless, and is lighter and less expensive than the Henry equivalent. I think the Henry action is smoother, but the Marlin is quite serviceable. .44Mag is available in a wider range of bullet weights and styles than .45LC, and you also have the ability to step down to .44Spl if you so desire (although the .44Mag isn't uncomfortable to shoot).

:twocents: worth from an AR guy who has shot a levergun or three, and liked 'em.

Might also check this thread for info, if you haven't already:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/30104-44_mag_deer_rifle.html

Last edited:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Of the options you mentioned, I'd take the Marlin in .44Mag. The flat-top/side eject design is easier to scope, the gun is available in stainless, and is lighter and less expensive than the Henry equivalent. I think the Henry action is smoother, but the Marlin is quite serviceable. .44Mag is available in a wider range of bullet weights and styles than .45LC, and you also have the ability to step down to .44Spl if you so desire (although the .44Mag isn't uncomfortable to shoot).

:twocents: worth from an AR guy who has shot a levergun or three, and liked 'em.

I would go for the .44 mag as well.

I have a .45 Colt single shot and other than the limited type of ammo you can buy for it, I have not been able to find any ammo for it locally at all in the last few months.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have and shoot both the Marlin and the Henry. The Marlin is set up for easy scope mounting which the Henry is not. The Henry has a very heavy octagonal barrel which makes for a very steady shot and soaks up any recoil. The loading is different but from a hunting standpoint there really is no difference.

The 44 mag gives you better selection with factory ammunition, the 45 lc has the edge if you reload. I use cast bullets in both and they both work well with anything I feed my Rugers. The 44 mag uses a RD 265 grain GC and the 45lc uses a RCBS 300 grain GC. Both are more than enough for deer inside of 150 yards.

The 45 lc Henry looks great in a case or on the range and I use it more for fun than hunting because of that. The Marlin is my hunting gun, having had it for 25 years. It has a 4X scope and a Wild West trigger which I really like, a light crisp break. Ruger Blackhawks are perfect companions for these guns.:)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have always liked the Henry's line, but you have a winner either way. I am in the market for the single shot sister to a long lever too. I am leaning towards 454 bc I will not hunt with it. I like my muzzleloader. The .44mag is a def for hunting.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have the Marlin in 44. Love it haven't hunted with it yet but plan too. Consider what you will use the matching handgun for. Also, availability of ammo. I sold my super redhawk... now I have an excuse to buy another handgun!

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    OK, a bit on the novice side when it comes to the lever's. Trying to buy one of these and a guy told me that the Marlin's came in two different versions of blued models with round barrel's. One was a cheap model for Sporting goods places and a better model for real gun shops. I almost choke trying not to laugh but thought.hmmmmmm..... so i'm askin.

Shot the Marlin 94 and didnt want to give it back to the guy. Everything i've been told (and its been a lot to absorb) has lead me to believe that the Marlins are a much more solid receiver when it comes to the larger .44 and .45 loads. Better accuracy down range up front and later on in life. But then again this is just a novice spittin back out words said to me.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks for all the information! It actually sounds like it is a toss up and personal preference. Might have to get both, one in .44mag and the other in .45c. Does anyone have anything to say about the ballistics of the .44mag vs the .45c. Does one have better terminal performance or distance?

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I think the marlins are great lever guns in general. As with many things older ones seem in general better than newer and I see more older 357s. I have owned 2 in 357 and the one I have now is definatlly in the plan to hold on forever catagory. I love to plink cheap 38s in it and never felt undergunned with hot 357s. That said I did buy a puma in 454 my opinion not the fit and finish of my old marlin but man I love the big whooping booming holes it makes:rockwoot: and if I a am rocking a cowboy wheel gun that day I can shoot the same light 45 colt loads in it and enjoy a big hunk of lead on target without any punishment on my shoulder. Remember whatever caliber you choose the leverguns longer barrel can really wring alot more out of it than a revolver can.

redfireman1969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    indpls
    pepsi and coke i have 44 mag and i love it and i have 410 lever action marlin and 39 a i like them better than winchester but thats my opinion dont much care for the puma , browning they are sweet to good luck

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Are you talking about the Henry rifle or the Henry Repeating Arms rifle? They're different beasts.

If its the old Henry, I think you'll find the Marlin a more practical levergun, plus it's a stronger action than the Henry. You can mount a scope on the Marlin if you need to, the Henry has no forend either.

If you're talking about the newer Henry Big Boy, run from that ugly POS.

Go for a Marlin in .44 Mag, they're great guns.

Update: Just realized you have to be talking about the Big Boy as the Henry Rifle isn't made in .44Mag.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you talking about the Henry rifle or the Henry Repeating Arms rifle? They're different beasts.

If its the old Henry, I think you'll find the Marlin a more practical levergun, plus it's a stronger action than the Henry. You can mount a scope on the Marlin if you need to, the Henry has no forend either.

If you're talking about the newer Henry Big Boy, run from that ugly POS.

Go for a Marlin in .44 Mag, they're great guns.

Update: Just realized you have to be talking about the Big Boy as the Henry Rifle isn't made in .44Mag.

Yes, talking about the Henry Repeating Arms Big Boy. Although I have fondled a true Henry, there is not a few thousand dollars in my budget for one. If I am not mistaken the original was a .44 rimfire. I believe Uberti makes a reproduction in .45c as you have mentioned.
    Is there any particular reason you would flush the Big Boy down the toilet?

Top Bottom