• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Let me start by saying I know less than nothing about what things to consider for a daily “carry” knife. Would like to hear recommendations for features, brand, etc. Figure my budget could go up to $100. I‘m thinking something I could front pocket carry - say max 4” or so. Single blade, one hand opening and closing ability, etc.

Perhaps,as is evidenced by my inability to describe what I want, demonstrates little I know.

All suggestions appreciated.

TIA

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    How rough on this knife will you honestly be? If you're rough on em (and I am) I'd rather have a couple $50 edc knives than a single $100 one. Just food for thought.
    My personal edc is an Ontario Rat. Has a reversible pocket clip, one handed open and close, AUS-8 steel, liner lock, blah, blah, blah, decent knife and 35ish bucks on Amazon.
    I go through a couple per year and there are a dozen others in that quality pricepoint to choose from.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't exactly "carry" this but always something very similar in one of my vehicles.

th-1020299113.jpg

Mine is a cheap set I bought at a gun show years ago for about $10. The knife has been great for opening sealed packages, cutting small zip cords, etc. The pliers and other tools have been used on occasion for a variety of tasks. Never the best option, more of the "git 'er done" scenario. And it has gotten it done, many times.

Regards,

Doug

PS - There is always option #2:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I carried Kershaws for a while. I liked the flipper.

Went to a Bugout recently after losing my last Kershaw. It's so light I can carry it while running.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I usualy carry a wooden handled Estwing lock blade knife. Estwing contracted 5,000 knives to be made by EKA Sweden with the Estwing logo on the blade. It was based on EKA's model 88 minus the checkering and no hole for a lanyard. Here is a pic of the 88:
    1656122501801.png
    I like it enough that I went through EKA and picked up a spare.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    To be blunt, you will probably have to buy a few and carry them to see if the fit your needs. I have carried several knives over the years before I found a couple that I liked. Depending on the situation, I have a couple Kershaws and a Benchmade. The Benchmade has been my EDC for almost 20 years.

Cheap knives with cheap steel will dull quickly. Good steel will stay sharp longer and can be honed easily. Dont cheap out. Do some research on blade steel, and get the best steel you can get within your price range.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To be blunt, you will probably have to buy a few and carry them to see if the fit your needs. I have carried several knives over the years before I found a couple that I liked. Depending on the situation, I have a couple Kershaws and a Benchmade. The Benchmade has been my EDC for almost 20 years.

Cheap knives with cheap steel will dull quickly. Good steel will stay sharp longer and can be honed easily. Dont cheap out. Do some research on blade steel, and get the best steel you can get within your price range.

I think Hoosierdood hit the nail on the head - "...fit your needs."

I don't do a lot of "manly" work, so my cheap little folding knife does exactly what I need it to. I just don't have the need for a "better" knife.

I might suggest get something cheap, safe, and easy to carry. Use it as needed. If you find it does everything you need, stop there. If it doesn't, try to figure out where it isn't working well and upgrade in that direction. Sharper? Longer? More durable?

Regards,

Doug

PS - "To be blunt"? Really? That was bad.:)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Maybe something dual-purpose ? :cool:

i-VmD2PC6-L.jpg

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I carry 2 knives. The Buck 110 on my belt in a case, and a smaller Buck Workman that has 3 blades, in my pocket. I use the Workman prolly 3 x as much as the 110. I own a Swiss Army Knife, and a handful of cheapies folders sold at gun shows. Fixed blades include a Kabar USMC Knife, and couple of Moras for backpacks.
    All have a good use, and consider them like tools. Use the right one for the job.
    Check out YouTube and look up bushcraft or camping knives and lots out there.
    Price shouldn't matter if you want a decent blade and fits your hand.

Top Bottom