What knife should my kids buy me for fathers day?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    My two year old son and my three month old daughter have been discussing getting me a survival knife for fathers day but they can't decide what to get.

They know Im a big benchmade fan and while benchmade makes a great knife, fixed blade survival knives is not their specialty.

Within the benchmade line there is the Contego, the Bushcrafter and the Adamas, They know I would like the blade to be around 5'' and while they think the Adamas is my favorite they also know it is a little small.

Should they get me a Benchmade or branch off to maybe an Esee or something else for this fixed blade knife?

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Your kids at that age can talk and carry on a conversation? WOW

The Benchmade Bushcrafter is a very nice knife. Of course any ESEE knife is nice too. I have both Benchmade and ESEE in stock.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    They should order you a 5" Randall Salt Fisherman. Plenty thick for survival and not too pricey for a Randall. It will arrive in 4-5 years, but every Fathers Day from now to then, they can just give you a photo of one and remind you of the awesome knife that is coming........

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Thanks guys, my wife overruled me and got me a new toolbox. I dont understand why she has to always get me things that are more needed instead of just letting me have some fun.

I think I will get the Esee here in a few months

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What you want is a Bark River Knife and Tool (BRKT) Bravo (1, 1.5, or 2 depending on what length you want) in CPM 3v.....Or is that me that wants one???

Either way, buy one. It'll beat an ESEE, Benchmade, or whatever other fixed blade survival knife you're looking at into the ground.

You're welcome.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    What you want is a Bark River Knife and Tool (BRKT) Bravo (1, 1.5, or 2 depending on what length you want) in CPM 3v.....Or is that me that wants one???

Either way, buy one. It'll beat an ESEE, Benchmade, or whatever other fixed blade survival knife you're looking at into the ground.

You're welcome.

That's a pretty strong statement right there.

I looked at a Bark River knife at Blade. It seemed pretty well made.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    It's really a statement made for cpm 3v. It's the bomb diggity.

Is that the tall robot from Star Wars?

j/k, I'm not really a steel nerd. so that kind of gets lost on me :) If asked, I'll say I don't have a preference but then I look at all my knives and they're all 1095 or 0-1 so I guess I'm just an old fashioned type guy.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Wow those are some Beautiful Knives!! It looks like A2 is their basic steel and you can get a few nicer options such as the CPM 3V.

Maybe this is a little backwards thinking but as a survival knife I always thought I would want more like a 1095 or a A2 than a D2 or CPM 3V. This is my thought and reasoning, in a survival situation I will not have the best of sharping tools, maybe just a pocket sharpener with me. And with a simple pocket sharpener I would want to be able to get my knife sharp, therefore knocking out all the super steels and really just getting a good blade with great corrosion resistance that is easily sharpened. I mean the last thing I want is a dull knife I can't get sharp right?

Top Bottom