What is the most versatile rifle you own?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    If you could own just one what would it be?

I ask because I was thinking about picking up a 30/30 on monday. I'm going to a friends farm for some handgun plinkin and he's going to bring his rifles too. I want something that will be able to be accurate and easy to handle. I probably won't have the funds to get a second rifle any time soon to i want it to have a wide range of applications (taking out moose at 1000 yards is not one of them.)

I looked for a similar thread for about 30 seconds so if this is a duplication of past threads, my apologies in advance.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you lived in another State (I assume since you're posting on Indiana Gunowners that you live in Indiana,) then I would advocate the 30-30 lever action as one of the great versatile rifles of North America.

In Indiana? Since you legally can't hunt with a 30-30? Maybe the same rifle in .44 mag or another pistol cartridge that you can legally hunt with as a brush rifle <100 yards.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    TC Encore. New barrels for 200 to 250 or so.
    Looking forward to getting my 445 sup mag babl anyday. It will fire the 445 sup mag, 44 mag and 44 specials.

If your gonna get a lever gun, you might consider a caliber that you can deer hunt with. Better resale too in a 357, 44 mag or 45 LC.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    on a caliber only bases i dont like the 30-30. if i were to pick a versatle caliber for everything id probably go 7mm rem mag. you can load them with light bullets (i think 110 gr is the lightest) for coyotes and general plinking, but you can alot load them heavy for elk size game. plus recoil is pretty mild on them.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    on a caliber only bases i dont like the 30-30. if i were to pick a versatle caliber for everything id probably go 7mm rem mag. you can load them with light bullets (i think 110 gr is the lightest) for coyotes and general plinking, but you can alot load them heavy for elk size game. plus recoil is pretty mild on them.

Your opionion is 7mm is best caliber for a lever action all around? Is it realitively easy to find in different loads? As my first, i'm not looking for a muzzle loader.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    First thing you have to come to grips with is the lack of knowledge of rifles in this state.
    Rifles as a whole are pretty useless here. When I first started hunting out west I searched and searched for a gun shop that could help me with a good large game rifle and loads. I ended up searching the Internet and making my own descisions.

I guess it would be like going to Montana and asking about slugs.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Your opionion is 7mm is best caliber for a lever action all around? Is it realitively easy to find in different loads? As my first, i'm not looking for a muzzle loader.

your post didn't say you were set on a leveraction. i dont think they make a 7mm rem mag leveraction but i could be wrong on that. i was thinking more along the lines of a bolt action.

as far as finding factory loadings i dont think its to dificult to find a light bullet in a factory load.

the 7mm rem mag is not a muzzleloader.

if you are set on a leveraction i would recomend a legal deer gun. even if you dont deer hunt a indiana legal deer rifle has much better and easier resale than a 30-30. 30-30s are a dime a dozen. if you go to a gun show you will find tons of folks wanting to get rid of there 30-30. its just not a very good round ballistically. i have one now that i break out and shoot somtimes but its basically a truck/tractor gun.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I feel that my lever action .357 is probably the most versatile firearm I own. You can shoot target loads in .38 brass on up to my handloads of a 195gr bullet at 1600fps. Anywhere inbetween and all with accuract, decent capacity and quick shots available. I've got one of rmy two year old son, and I'm looking for another one since my wife is pregnant! Kids can start shooting one as soon as they can hold it because of the light loads and honestly, I can shoot the hot loads all day with litte discomfort. I really think it's a great rifle, and I've got plenty that cost several times more than this one did.

The .30/30 is a great round as well, just not quite as versatile. If you handload, you can come up with a great variety of loads for it as well.

Doug K

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    your post didn't say you were set on a leveraction. i dont think they make a 7mm rem mag leveraction but i could be wrong on that. i was thinking more along the lines of a bolt action.

as far as finding factory loadings i dont think its to dificult to find a light bullet in a factory load.

the 7mm rem mag is not a muzzleloader.

if you are set on a leveraction i would recomend a legal deer gun. even if you dont deer hunt a indiana legal deer rifle has much better and easier resale than a 30-30. 30-30s are a dime a dozen. if you go to a gun show you will find tons of folks wanting to get rid of there 30-30. its just not a very good round ballistically. i have one now that i break out and shoot somtimes but its basically a truck/tractor gun.

i was referring to the Thompson encore as the muzzie i wasn't considering. Thanks for the input, i was set on a 30/30 but i think you may have talked me out of it along with the info from doug K.

thanks guys

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    First thing you have to come to grips with is the lack of knowledge of rifles in this state.
    Rifles as a whole are pretty useless here. When I first started hunting out west I searched and searched for a gun shop that could help me with a good large game rifle and loads. I ended up searching the Internet and making my own descisions.

I guess it would be like going to Montana and asking about slugs.

ok................................

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is kind of like are blonds better than red heads...everyone has an opinion...but since you asked...I would say .270...

I have several highpowered rifles but the .270 i have that is a sporterized version of a mauser action, an be loaded down to 55gr rounds for varmits and push 185 gr loads for most all North American game. It is not the gun I ould select for a gun battle for all around use it would be my choice if I could only have 1 rifle...:)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'd say the .30-06. You can use it for everything from coyotes to large game, as well as a battle rifle (in the case of a SD) or sniper-ish rifle for the bolt.

I love em and I have 2.

Top Bottom