What is the most beautiful rifle ever made, to you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Different people have different Ideas and none are wrong. In fact, anyone's definition can change over time.

Roy Weatherby (the real gunsmith, not the corporation) used to make remarkable rifles. I have been able to see and handle a few. Rich African rosewood stocks with ebony fore end and grip caps, made with elegant lines with just enough carving and checkering to let you know it was special. Beautiful contoured metal work with deep, rich bluing. That was in the era of artisan gunsmithing. I had a corporate production .340 Weatherby, it was really kind of entry level but still really nice.

When I shot matches, my taste switched to beauty being defined as the rifle I was winning my classification with. The black composite H&S stock holding a model 70 action with the bluing worn away. Screwed to the front was a rough turned unfinished Hart barrel. It looked pretty good when my name was near the top of the score sheet.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    402Ll9r.jpg

Blaster F3 Super Sport , Grade 8 Turkish Walnut. I personally prefer a non engraved gun myself but still.

As to an actually rifled rifle my vote is M1 Garand personally.

hCYvgpg.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    When I hear the word beautiful I think elegance. When it comes to rifles, that means combinations of design, build quality, nicely figured wood and sleekness. That being said, I can’t pin it down to ony one design. I love the looks of a nice 1873 Winchester and would think one of the ‘sporting rifles’ would be the most beautiful. Full octagon barrel, pistol grip stock of nicely figured Wal it and lovely color case hardening. A nice sharps also it’s the bill. Then again, some colonial era and eve later muzzle loaders come to mind. Long stout barrels but extremely well balanced. Many of the English single and double rifles of the latter 1800’s are amazing in both design and workmanship. Also some of the sporter bolt actions of the interwar period are amazing. Too many to choose from!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Handguns was easy. This category is way too difficult, primarily because I have so little exposure to long guns. Several candidates for me would be (in no particular order): Remington 700 BDL in .270, M16A1, Thompson 1927, any Kentucky-type long rifle, M1 Garand.... And my all-time, bestest loved, favorite long gun isn't a rifle at all, it is a machine gun. I think the Browning .50 M2, on its tripod is a true work of art. Simply beautiful piece of work by the Master himself. Even the ammuntion is gorgeous. There is something magical about laying in the mud, launching 650gr AP/Tracer/Ball projectiles, stepping out at roughly 2400 fps, at targets over a mile downrange. Instant wood.

Top Bottom