What is the highest tax you would be willing to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the highest level of tax you'd pay before fleeing the country?

• Total voters

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Andrew Mellon, arguably the best fiscal mind to ever have graced the white house, determined that the maximum tax rate for maximum revenue (on the top income bracket) was 25%.

This was before social security, medicare, medicaid, etc etc etc... So, if you factor that in, the most effective marginal tax rate is probably in the 10% range.

It is no secret that the current tax structure stifles economic growth, and thus tax revenue.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Many of us are already "fleeing the country", metaphorically speaking, by seeking tax shelters and barter. The threshold for those people is effectively "below what I'm paying now".

Indeed. If taxes were what people believed to be "reasonable and fair" there would be no need of deductions, credits or any other tax avoidance.

This year, I'm going to calculate my actual effective tax rate when I do my taxes. (state, local, federal).

I'm betting it's over 50% of gross by the time it's all said and done. That is without calculating tax burden on business (since it's so irregular from one business to another).

EDIT: However, I could probably safely assume a 15% increase in cost due to tax liability.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Nothing will ever change until the 16th amendment is gone. This is the reason I support the fair tax. The 16th as it is written gives the crooks UNLIMITED taxing power.
    The 16th was never legally ratified and after the tomfoolery and trickery was done, Woodrow Wilson (our pres at the time) realized what had happened and publicly apologized for what he feared was a mistake that would eventually destroy the country. He claimed to have been tricked into supporting it....Additionally, I believe when all taxes, fees, assessments, and whatever other name you want to call a tax are added up we already pay over the 80% mark.
    This is obviously just a PARTIAL list....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-eqG7tvrzk[/ame]

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that 10% for everyone might be a bit too low.

15-17% for ever. single. person. who. earns. has been bandied about quite a bit as the "necessary sums"

The only problem with leaving the country physically is "where would I go?"

-J-

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    I don't think there is a certain number because of how the tax system is structured. If you are in the top 2% of income, they are already paying a lot of taxes, so their threshold will be higher than somebody in the upper 25%. However, for the 50% and lower income percentages, they do not pay anything and with the way the system is structured, they still won't pay anything. The problem is that the burden is not shared equally.

The income tax needs to be done away with because the people cannot feel how much they are being taxed. The money is taken away before it gets in the hands of the consumer so it was like they never had it in the first place. However, a national sales tax would be felt by all, as long as it is a flat sales tax for everyone. When the sign says $100.00 and you pay $110.00, you actually hand that extra $10.00 away. Then everyone would feel it when taxes go up, not too mention that all illegal means of getting income would also be paying their taxes.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :dunno: i'm with the 10-15% range. i don't ever plan on leaving the U.S. but the Body of Christ is gonna be raptured outa here and end up in Jerusalem anyway according to the bible. if i did leave the good ole U.S., it would be to Israel. :popcorn:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    :dunno: i'm with the 10-15% range. i don't ever plan on leaving the U.S. but the Body of Christ is gonna be raptured outa here and end up in Jerusalem anyway according to the bible. if i did leave the good ole U.S., it would be to Israel. :popcorn:
    Actually.....
    The “Rapture” is not in the Bible! Despite being believed by a large number of protestants (many of whom also believe that only that which is in the Bible can be true) it was actually invented in the 1600s by one Cotton Mather – otherwise famous for murdering women by strangling them to death (by hanging) in the Salem witch trials. The term in the Bible commonly mistranslated to the word “rapture” actually comes from the Greek ἁρπάζω (harpazo) which actually means “caught up” or “taken away” and it refers to one person only (Philip).
    10 Biblical Facts That Everyone Gets Wrong

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The book of Revelation is really hard to read and keep it all straight in your head. I've done it twice and probably couldn't give a really accurate summary of what it says. 5 or 6 times is plus note taking is probably necessary to get all of the comings and goings straight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    How high would your taxes have to be, before you gave up and left the country? We are in such a mess right now, our taxes are bound to go up in our lifetime. What's it going to take?

We are following the same road as Britain. An article from this week says that their middle-class is going to be paying up to 83% of their money to the government in various taxes.

Middle Britain's tax rates 'could rise to 83%'

Can you expound on taxes? Federal, state, local, city, sales, capital gains, interest income? Any tax in particular?

We all know that some taxes are needed in order to run the government and basic services that support the people. But, we are looking at a national debt that is increasing by over $4 billion every single day. What services do you cut to make up this debt? The interest payment alone on this debt is an unstoppable time bomb.

So if you want to pack up and leave this country, where do you suggest going?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Can you expound on taxes? Federal, state, local, city, sales, capital gains, interest income? Any tax in particular?

We all know that some taxes are needed in order to run the government and basic services that support the people. But, we are looking at a national debt that is increasing by over $4 billion every single day. What services do you cut to make up this debt? The interest payment alone on this debt is an unstoppable time bomb.

Argentina is nice. Very scenic. Government comes and goes down there like the weather.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The article is vague. I am sure they mean a combination of all taxes.

That will be the subject of another thread. I think "fleeing" will mean different things for different people.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I'm not sure where I'd go if I did get fed up though. Seems like most other places in the world are either taxed at a higher rate, outlandishly expensive, or are so politically unstable and dangerous it wouldn't be worth it.
    My thoughts as well. I heard a lot of people complaining they'd leave if Obama got elected (same people telling Bush-haters to leave the country). I asked some of them where they'd go and they didn't have a real answer. They're still here. Some stuff is ****ed up here, and things will always be slightly ****ed, but I still love it here. To me, there is more to America than taxes and political BS :patriot:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    My thoughts as well. I heard a lot of people complaining they'd leave if Obama got elected (same people telling Bush-haters to leave the country). I asked some of them where they'd go and they didn't have a real answer. They're still here. Some stuff is ****ed up here, and things will always be slightly ****ed, but I still love it here. To me, there is more to America than taxes and political BS :patriot:
    Just wait.....that'll change.

Top Bottom