• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    So today I had to sell my 2 most prized possessions. My EDC Glock 30 .45 A.C.P and my wonderful Smith Model 10 Nickel plated beauty.

It it broke my heart.

Background.... 1 week ago my 2003 Chevy Malibu had a catastrophic engine malfunction knocking very loudly and I was told it is no good.

I came up with 1400 this week and needed 2000 for the down payment on a brand new vehicle plus $ for plates and insurance and taxes. I'm in college paying for every bit of it and there's food, rent, insurance, phones, television, etc.

I had to let those two firearms go.

So I can get to college, and so the kids do not have to walk to and from school in snow.

So is the family vehicle more important or is it the two favorite guns you own?
    Obviously I chose the car.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Sucks to hear that.....But there will be more & better guns in your future after the degree.....It's just a roadbump in the road of life...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So today I had to sell my 2 most prized possessions. My EDC Glock 30 .45 A.C.P and my wonderful Smith Model 10 Nickel plated beauty.

It it broke my heart.

Background.... 1 week ago my 2003 Chevy Malibu had a catastrophic engine malfunction knocking very loudly and I was told it is no good.

I came up with 1400 this week and needed 2000 for the down payment on a brand new vehicle plus $ for plates and insurance and taxes. I'm in college paying for every bit of it and there's food, rent, insurance, phones, television, etc.

So I can get to college, and so the kids do not have to walk to and from school in snow.

Guns can be bought again. They make more every day. Go to school, get a better job, can afford better guns and cars.
    Glocks, you can get anywhere, anytime.
    Older guns, not so much.
    But you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Next spring, go to a NWI Meet & Shoot.
    Most of us will be happy to let you shoot our guns for a while. :)

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.

It it broke my heart.

If you're looking for assurance that you did the right thing...I will assure you that you did.

Genuinely your most prized possessions are your children. Remember any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad. Sacrifice is part of being a dad...job well done dad.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having been in your shoes more than once and did exactly the same thing.
    You sell the things that will bring the money and quickly.
    They can and will be replaced in better times.

+10 inbound

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So look at it this way: you made a wise investment in the future of you and your family. Down the road when things are settled down and you are in a good place and the wife says to you, another gun, seriously honey how many do you need? You can alway say, it's an investment, remember the time I sold the two guns so we could have a car.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

It it broke my heart.

Mike...so sorry to hear about your situation...it's a tough thing to go through...but I think you hung on to the proper perspective and the correct priorities when many would have not done so!

I, actually, have been there...having lost both of my jobs within 5 days in late May and early June 2009...the wife and I had to sell all but three (3) of our guns to make ends meet that year before I was able to land a new job...it tested me as I had to sell six (6) GP100's (my favorite handguns at the time) amongst others. Fortunately, I was able to purchase two guns back (none of the GP's...they were gone) and that was a tough pill to swallow! I prayed about it, and started searching, and the Lord provided the most awesome GP100 I've ever owned...it's by far my favorite and it 'settled' my desire to ever have to own another...it was a 4" fixed-sight, full-lug, stainless, GP100 in .357 magnum...totally awesome! With kids to feed...being responsible was the only correct choice and we made the sacrifice at the time.

Hang in there...the Lord will provide!

MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    Wow, I woke up to use the washroom.
    I just happened to decide to check on this thread here at 3:43 a.m.

Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart.
    You really made me feel better about this situation. It was racking my brain.

Thank you for all the positive encouragement. I read each post. And I felt better with each one.

I am very pleased that I found this community. INGO is a wonderful place.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

It it broke my heart.

Good Morning Mike.
    I think you just realized that your sidearms weren't your most prized possessions.
    My family comes first as well.
    I didn't like having to get rid of a few of my guns over the years either.
    I can't imagine the feeling I'd have IF I'd ever let my family do without necessities. Not going to happen.
    Well done Dad.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Yes, they are our toys, property and also an investment. You did well, keeping what is a priority on top of all else. Family always comes first, and you came through. That's our job. I've sold many fire arms, made some $ and lost some $, but the family has always been taken care of. My fire arms have paid for proms, books, tuition, cars, dorms...and on and on. Most of my kids have graduated and have a masters to boot! I miss that perfect Colt Python, my perfect Llama .45, SP101. I 'm semi retired now and half the fun is looking for the guns I miss. Only to give them away once more when I'm gone...haha! Fun awaits you, be patient.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Mike, many of us , as you've seen from replies, have been in similar situations. You made the right responsible choice for your family and continuing to invest in your education. Imagine how selfish you'd felt holding onto your 'prized possessions' while your family makes concessions...you made the right choice. Stuff can always be replaced...time spent with and to better your family can not!

Top Bottom