Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We just up-graded the family wagon. Chevy 3500 custom van. Working on the gear for it. GHB and cold weather gear. This rig has ample storage for such things.
    Just picked up a kit to mount a second fuel tank.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Along the lines of wool blankets I can't recommend the ones at www.alpaca4less.com enough. They aren't as cheap as a USGI surplus or an Israeli surplus, but I'd put any one of their heavy thick alpaca blankets against any two or three of the surplus blankets any day of the week. Not only are the blankets themselves much better quality, but the sizing options are incredibly nice. I'm not 5'-8" and skinny so I can't curl up in a surplus blanket and room to spare. I bought one of their king sized blankets on a big sale they had for just over $100 and I can't say enough about how much I love that thing. I like it so much that I ended up buying another in queen size later on when they were on sale. The wool is soft, and thick. I haven't even touched one of my surplus blankets since I bought these and I don't regret a thing.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Along the lines of wool blankets I can't recommend the ones at www.alpaca4less.com enough. They aren't as cheap as a USGI surplus or an Israeli surplus, but I'd put any one of their heavy thick alpaca blankets against any two or three of the surplus blankets any day of the week. Not only are the blankets themselves much better quality, but the sizing options are incredibly nice. I'm not 5'-8" and skinny so I can't curl up in a surplus blanket and room to spare. I bought one of their king sized blankets on a big sale they had for just over $100 and I can't say enough about how much I love that thing. I like it so much that I ended up buying another in queen size later on when they were on sale. The wool is soft, and thick. I haven't even touched one of my surplus blankets since I bought these and I don't regret a thing.

Good topic.

I just reviewed my get-home bag this week and realized I need a better emergency blanket. I am trying to decide between wool, Mylar, or maybe both.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

This is good to know as my alpaca blankets are still on the alpacas!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good topic.

I just reviewed my get-home bag this week and realized I need a better emergency blanket. I am trying to decide between wool, Mylar, or maybe both.

I compromised on my "invisi-blankets" . $20ish, 70% wool and more importantly the proper shade of gray. I have a couple that drape over items in my gray colored vehicle interior. While they don't make things truly invisible, everything blends pretty well.

For 20 bucks on Amazon, these blankets are easily replaceable. Easy to say "keep it" if you run into someone else's SHTF while out on the road.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I compromised on my "invisi-blankets" . $20ish, 70% wool and more importantly the proper shade of gray. I have a couple that drape over items in my gray colored vehicle interior. While they don't make things truly invisible, everything blends pretty well.

For 20 bucks on Amazon, these blankets are easily replaceable. Easy to say "keep it" if you run into someone else's SHTF while out on the road.

Are you discriminating against the other 49 shades of gray? Are you? Are you, you bigot?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good topic.

Get both, as they serve different purposes.

What if you're in a survival situation and you actually want to be found, i.e. rescued? Our buddy Dave Canterbuy would recommend a brighter color, would he not?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...What if you're in a survival situation and you actually want to be found, i.e. rescued? Our buddy Dave Canterbuy would recommend a brighter color, would he not?

One of these
    51VP6aV1-rL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    in the bag that the grey blankie covers up.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FDW5J56S24K30ET9GA8

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you want to be found learn to use a survival mirror and have whistles. Sit your ass down, you are lost, and light a fire.

I say it that way because most of you don't own a mirror, let alone know how to signal a moving object like a plane. Once you do know the basics, there is NO spot you can't put a reflection on. See physics and science, rules never change.

When I went on my first solo walk in the "wilderness" the only rule was every 15 minutes I had to signal with my mirror back towards camp. I thought that was the dumbest damn thing ever. I was going to be in and out of rocks and crevices (reference scene where Captain Kirk fights the Lizzard commander, those rocks) but I did it. Upon my return my Dad knew my exact route of travel. Wow, when in doubt, signal out. It works. I was ten at the time and I still have both that USAF whistle and mirror, plus others.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you want to be found learn to use a survival mirror and have whistles. Sit your ass down, you are lost, and light a fire.

I say it that way because most of you don't own a mirror, let alone know how to signal a moving object like a plane. Once you do know the basics, there is NO spot you can't put a reflection on. See physics and science, rules never change.

When I went on my first solo walk in the "wilderness" the only rule was every 15 minutes I had to signal with my mirror back towards camp. I thought that was the dumbest damn thing ever. I was going to be in and out of rocks and crevices (reference scene where Captain Kirk fights the Lizzard commander, those rocks) but I did it. Upon my return my Dad knew my exact route of travel. Wow, when in doubt, signal out. It works. I was ten at the time and I still have both that USAF whistle and mirror, plus others.

I always have a whistle on my person. People underestimate the potential need to signal for help, even when not in the wilderness. No one can yell as loud or for as long as they can blow a good whistle.

Having a reflector on your person all the time is also a good practice! Mirrors with a sighting hole are easier to use, but as the illustrious Zoub suggests, knowing how to use any old reflector to signal is a Very Good Idea.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I wish I was into this stuff back when the company my dad retired from still owned Sportsman's Guide. He got a damn hefty discount as VP, but I was a bit young back then.

Hell, didn't Sportsman's Guide used to sell ammo?

They also now sell guns. Shipped to your nearest FFL. Seem to have a decent selection.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I always have a whistle on my person. People underestimate the potential need to signal for help, even when not in the wilderness. No one can yell as loud or for as long as they can blow a good whistle.

Having a reflector on your person all the time is also a good practice! Mirrors with a sighting hole are easier to use, but as the illustrious Zoub suggests, knowing how to use any old reflector to signal is a Very Good Idea.

I carry a whistle on my keys so it's always in my pocket. It's not as loud as the one I can do on my own though...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

51mdLeb6ovL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-0466...TF8&qid=1452963086&sr=8-13&keywords=Coghlan's

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry a whistle on my keys so it's always in my pocket. It's not as loud as the one I can do on my own though...

The whistle I have on my neckchain all the time is very loud. It doesn't have a pea, but it sounds like an old fashioned referee's whistle with a pea. I also keep one of the whistles you get from TOPS with their knives on the chain with my neck knife. It sounds like a Bobby's whistle, which is fun, but it's not as loud.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    -Learned some new knots.
    -Got some more cold weather gear.
    -Stocked up big time on baby clothes for our newborn expected in July.
    -Paid off some serious debt(medical bills).
    -Did some general organizing of supplies.

I still need to strengthen/acquire:
    -More food supplies
    -Savings $$$
    -Generator

Chipping away a little at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom