Not open for further replies.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    water storage!! a friend of mine has hooked up 6 water heaters in his basement with the last one being the actual heater. He says this is his water storage and it is constantly being cycled thru every time they run hot water!!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's what I've done for water prep over the course of a lot of years.

As far as actual stored water on sight I've been using these aquatainers for years Amazon.com: Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container
    I made the switch after grocery store bought water jugs failed and started to leak. Thankfully the water ran into a sump pit. I don't put much faith in the individual water bottles either. Those aquatainers can usually be found on sale at walmart. Between that and the water heater I think I'm good to get through 99% of whatever would get thrown at us. If I've got a heads up, then yeah one of those "waterbob" bathtub liners would be used.

Here's another way I look at water prepping from a purification standpoint. For the house, if/when a bunch of unprepared sheep show up I've got the berky filter. The berky is more for the bug-in type of problems and that's great until it's time to leave. If we have time to get geared up before we leave, we've got a katadyn base camp and a katadyn hiker pro. They both use the exact same filter, so one in each actual filter and a spare filter all by itself. The base camp is gravity fed, so it really is good for a base camp. Then in each vehicle, I have stainless containers. I'm a big fan of the 32oz. stainless kit's GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters? from self reliance outfitters (Pathfinder School). The container is made by kleen canteen, but the nesting cup it comes with is very well thought out and I like to have a complete kit in each vehicle. These kits are on sale often and I think the package is worth it. As far as the Kleen Canteen's go, I've got a 27oz, and a 64oz bottle in addition to the regular 32's from pathfinder. Anytime the family goes anywhere in our light armored multi-personnel and cargo vehicle (minivan) I always have that 64oz wattle bottle tucked away somewhere. The 64oz boils water really well for as big as it is, and the advantage of the 27oz is that it'll fit in a cup holder for daily use.

For me, I've taken the approach with water that I want some on hand, but I also want to make sure I've got redundancy in about every form or fashion to purify it. Sure I can pick up sticks and boil water, I've done that before and would prefer to just grab a blue jug of water and set it next to the sink.

Water is everything, without it all the guns, ammo, and other nonsense we spend our money on is useless. Stack it deep and definitely get some of those powder mixes of whatever you like and don't like just to mix it up every once in a while. Huge moral boost.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I should add, if I was going to have dedicated water storage bigger than what I've got, I'd just grab a 55 gallon blue barrel. I think that's the best way I've seen to really stack it deep.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I should add, if I was going to have dedicated water storage bigger than what I've got, I'd just grab a 55 gallon blue barrel. I think that's the best way I've seen to really stack it deep.

We have individual filter systems and several spares but the ones you list are now on my list of "To get" equipment.
    As mentioned, space is an issue for us. Just no place to put 55 gallon drums.
    Rhino's ideas and yours will (with some refinements for space etc) set us on the right path I think.
    Great info.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Aside from in-home items... I'm starting to feel the itch for a bag of some sort. Been watching some reviews on various bags, loadouts, etc... finding it difficult to choose between something larger like a Rush 72, or smaller like a Rush 24 or MOAB 10.

1. I can't really fathom a situation where I would need a bag of survival items... in my suburban home. I mean... in a SHTF situation... what am I doing? Grabbing the bag and running to the nearest wooded area? Although, I would kind of like to live in a less suburban place eventually... are there loadouts/bags that are better for suburban living? While a compact tent and fire-starting apparatus seem like no-brainers... they seem unnecessary.

2. Ignoring #1 for now... I don't really know what I want. A "bug-out bag"... or a "get home bag"... or a 3-day "live out of the bag" bag. Not sure which would be the most important to make my first bag out of. I mean, I know I can fit a handgun, a Ruger 22 breakdown, some ammo, clothes, MREs, etc... but would I even want to

So... I guess you could say what I did this week was starting the planning process. Starting to think and ask questions about what I want to make as a portable prepping situation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't really know what I want. A "bug-out bag"... or a "get home bag"... or a 3-day "live out of the bag" bag.

Personally, I think too many people get too hung up on bug out bag vs get home bag vs bail out bag vs whatever. For the most part the bag discussions are a bunch of dudes playing barbie's with gear and bags they'll never really use.

Here's the questions you need to be able to answer.
    1.) If for any reason whatsoever you had to leave my home with my family "what would you need"? That's different for everyone. Your abilities/skills, your special needs, and those of your family.
    2.) If for any reason whatsoever you had to leave where ever you are away from home, "what would you need". Again it's different for everyone.

For me, 1.) I have three small kids so what I'd need to take for food, water, and shelter are different than a bachelor in his 20's. The bag needs at least a tarp, a pile of food, and a pile of water along with an easy means to filter more water. I don't pack weapons in my bags, my every day carry will be fine.
    For me, 2.) I have three small kids and my wife could start a fire without a match or lighter and has no desire to become more self reliant so if something happens and I have to get home without my vehicle, then my primary goal is to get home, period. I'll probably have to go collect kids from schools etc. The bag in my truck needs water, and needs to be light. Very minimal on anything else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Personally, I think too many people get too hung up on bug out bag vs get home bag vs bail out bag vs whatever. For the most part the bag discussions are a bunch of dudes playing barbie's with gear and bags they'll never really use.

Here's the questions you need to be able to answer.
    1.) If for any reason whatsoever you had to leave my home with my family "what would you need"? That's different for everyone. Your abilities/skills, your special needs, and those of your family.
    2.) If for any reason whatsoever you had to leave where ever you are away from home, "what would you need". Again it's different for everyone.

For me, 1.) I have three small kids so what I'd need to take for food, water, and shelter are different than a bachelor in his 20's. The bag needs at least a tarp, a pile of food, and a pile of water along with an easy means to filter more water. I don't pack weapons in my bags, my every day carry will be fine.
    For me, 2.) I have three small kids and my wife could start a fire without a match or lighter and has no desire to become more self reliant so if something happens and I have to get home without my vehicle, then my primary goal is to get home, period. I'll probably have to go collect kids from schools etc. The bag in my truck needs water, and needs to be light. Very minimal on anything else.

Our system has evolved past bags. Age/condition is an issues so we have our "Absolutely have to leave gear" in totes that are sealed and rotated for the season at hand.
    Having water stored in flats and milk crates makes them easy to grab.
    Also, depending on the situation, all of the camping gear is just a "Grab" away as well.
    The tote thing is pretty convenient. Clothing/weather/food/water are all considered and loaded accordingly.
    This works for us. May not for others.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Our system has evolved past bags. Age/condition is an issues so we have our "Absolutely have to leave gear" in totes that are sealed and rotated for the season at hand.
    Having water stored in flats and milk crates makes them easy to grab.
    Also, depending on the situation, all of the camping gear is just a "Grab" away as well.
    The tote thing is pretty convenient. Clothing/weather/food/water are all considered and loaded accordingly.
    This works for us. May not for others.

I think you've got it squared away. I've got almost all my preps in totes. Mostly because I can stack them floor to ceiling to make the best use of space, but also because a tote can be thrown in the back of a van or truck very easily.

kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    I haven't stated any prep, but realize I need to. I need new brakes on my car, but being a single mother it is hard to come up with the money to get it done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They are available from several sources.
    Used when there is another appliance heating the domestic water like a boiler or heat pump.
    I am aware that storage will not need to be hooked up to the gas/electric. That is why I suggest a static storage tank.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    2. Ignoring #1 for now... I don't really know what I want. A "bug-out bag"... or a "get home bag"... or a 3-day "live out of the bag" bag. Not sure which would be the most important to make my first bag out of. I mean, I know I can fit a handgun, a Ruger 22 breakdown, some ammo, clothes, MREs, etc... but would I even want to

So... I guess you could say what I did this week was starting the planning process. Starting to think and ask questions about what I want to make as a portable prepping situation.

Personally I think a get home bag is a great place to start and will get you the best bang for your buck.

Having the basics in your car will prepare you for a number of scenarios. Car breakdown, tire blow out, run out of gas, bad weather or flooding that closes roads, etc.

Like Churchmouse mentioned, I keep a tote in my car too. It contains a basic breakdown kit (jumber cables, flares, flat tire kit, shovel, small air compressor, etc.) I also keep water, tarp, blanket, extra shoes, and a back pack with basics (fire starting kit, knife, clothes, food, small camp stove, canteen, water purification and filter, etc. ) in case I need to leave the car.

I'm confident my bag and supplies would easily serve me well for 48 - 36 hours and I could get myself home from 100 miles away if I had to.

By keeping the bag in your car you'll always be ready with the basics. If you have to evacuate you can grab a second go bag with some extra clothes, toiletries and personal items.

Personally I don'the have a full on bug out bag. I have a wife and two kids, we're not walking out into the woods anytime soon. Between my get home bag and individual go bags, we can get out of the house quickly if needed, but the destination is most likely a shelter, or the home of family out of state

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    8 gallons of Kilju (4 ready to serve at any time, and 4 that just started fermenting), 4 gallons of red table wine that will be ready maybe in early October, and two gallons of Kilju sitting in the house.

After a long hard day of fighting off Mutant Zombie Bikers (for any "Lights Out" fans), I can kick back and have a swig of my finest 21-day-old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom