Not open for further replies.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Just beginning my preperations:

Ordered my BOB and some pouchs and paracord. Began digging out items that are stored in different areas of the house and getting them sorted out. Loaded 600 rounds of 45 ACP and will do more.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I added another type of bag to my preps. My basic plan for SHTF is to stay home or "bug in". The bag that I carry in my car is set up to get me home. If I have to bug out my bag at home is set up to get me to an alternate location about six miles away although things will really be going bad if I have to take that route and can't load up a vehicle.

I set up a third bag that I call my "SHTF Light" bag. This is basically for situations where I need to go away from home on short notice, but for minor SHTF events. It is more of a packed suitcase with a couple of changes of clothes, Dop kit, bottled water, snacks and a few other useful items. My thought was that I needed an intermediate level of preparedness if for example a train derailed causing a chemical spill and I needed to go to a hotel for a few days as opposed to going out into the woods to survive. It isn't hurting anything sitting in my closet and it gives me one more option if I need it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Working out at least 5 days a week. Keeping the food mostly clean.

Finishing up building a 2 meter quad antenna so I can reach a team mate.

Working on the neighborhood emergency comm plan.

Met up with some team mates Friday night at 9pm in a snow storm for a hasty bug out drill. Spent the night in the woods, and rucked 12 miles the next day. AAR posted.

Adding some basic gear to every old pack I have in the attic.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Worked out 4 days last week, dry fired once.

Checked and repacked GHB in wife's car. GTG.

Linked up in the woods with Sailor and rucked 12 miles-see his AAR in Tactics and Training section.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010

• May seem weird, but our family has what my kids have named "Little House on the Prairie" night once or twice a month, we turn off all electricity and spend the evening playing board games and reading stories by oil lamp light.
    • My local Wally World finally got in some handgun ammo. Bought 400 rounds of 9MM
    • Continuing to buy extra food for storage every week and putting some up in Mylar Bags
    • Split and stacked more firewood over the weekend.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I found some -5 degree Coleman sleeping bags at a good price. they were 100.00 at Bass Pro. I got them for 55.00 a piece. Stocked up on rechargeable batteries and solar chargers.

Last edited:

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I ordered more reloading supplies
    Did a inventory of some of my popular calibers
    I am going on a over night backpacking trip thurs. Its good just to get the pack out and organize all the stuff.
    Trying to hook up with the sealable bucket guy
    Have been shopping for bulk foods

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    This is a little long.

About a month ago I bought a 40 foot rv trailer. At about 300 SF, it's about 1/10 the size of my home. It's much too large to drag around, but a perfect place to use as a bug out location. I put it up on a lake in NE Indiana; cost is $200/month, includes water. I am going to build a 12x20 "shed" which will include:

fully insulated;
    full sized hot water heater;
    wood burning furnace;
    washer and dryer;
    room for storage of important stuff;
    reloading equipment;
    gun safe;
    anything else I need for a longer term position that could lack electricity.

I'll also put in a 12x24 square foot garden. Should be able to grow plenty of food during the growing months.

The trailer is located in a park with about 20 other trailers. One entrance; park is on a hill overlooking lake; very defensible.

I've decided that a known rural location is the best setting for my last stand. I paid cash for the trailer (government and banks can't take it), the lot rent is paid for the next 5 years, and the utilities are very cheap. I believe the greatest long term SHTF threat comes from a loss of personal wealth or collapse of our economic system. In either situation I can hole up in my little trailer with those I care for for years.

I still have BOBs packed, tents, sleeping bags, and the like, but short of an apocolyptic event, it's far more likely my primary home will be unusable than my secondary trailer.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    How far from your home to the BOL?

Are there any year round residents in the park? Theft is real common in this area, especially from out/storage blds.

This is a little long.

About a month ago I bought a 40 foot rv trailer. At about 300 SF, it's about 1/10 the size of my home. It's much too large to drag around, but a perfect place to use as a bug out location. I put it up on a lake in NE Indiana; cost is $200/month, includes water. I am going to build a 12x20 "shed" which will include:

fully insulated;
    full sized hot water heater;
    wood burning furnace;
    washer and dryer;
    room for storage of important stuff;
    reloading equipment;
    gun safe;
    anything else I need for a longer term position that could lack electricity.

I'll also put in a 12x24 square foot garden. Should be able to grow plenty of food during the growing months.

The trailer is located in a park with about 20 other trailers. One entrance; park is on a hill overlooking lake; very defensible.

I've decided that a known rural location is the best setting for my last stand. I paid cash for the trailer (government and banks can't take it), the lot rent is paid for the next 5 years, and the utilities are very cheap. I believe the greatest long term SHTF threat comes from a loss of personal wealth or collapse of our economic system. In either situation I can hole up in my little trailer with those I care for for years.

I still have BOBs packed, tents, sleeping bags, and the like, but short of an apocolyptic event, it's far more likely my primary home will be unusable than my secondary trailer.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    About 50 miles. There are yeard round residents. The park is very clean. No junk cars (no even any old ones). People take care of their stuff. Looks like a good group of people.

How far from your home to the BOL?

Are there any year round residents in the park? Theft is real common in this area, especially from out/storage blds.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    2 bottles of Iso alcohol, bought some extra food stuffs, installed some more plano shelving (free!!)...read "One Second After" (very disturbing...), and getting ready to pull the jeep engine for a rebuild once the weather breaks....

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I went to the gym and added a three day a week spinning class to my regular exercise routine. I had my first class on Friday, and it kicked my butt. This should be good cross training with my running and weight workouts.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    bought a 2k 22 bulk pakcs... bought a another case of green beans, ramen noodles, and some more food items from sam's club.

also me and my daughter went on a little woods walk today and belt a make shift snow shelter (which turned out great) and practiced making fires with just a fire steel and what i could find out there in the woods that wasn't to soaked through. good experience gained for sure as its not as easy as most folks believe it to be.

and i bought a custom 458 socom from indygunworks.. btw he is a awesome guy to deal with if any of you need something. now i am not sure if the 458 is considered shtf prep lol as ammo is 50-75 bucks a box of 20 lol. fortunately its just me deer gun but i am excited and had to let everyone know lol.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    I put a little money in this week... since im new to prep its still pretty basic stuff.... bought a new bug out bag (la police gear 3 day bag... love it!), 100 ft of para cord, a 2 magazine pouch for ak mags with molle attachments for my bug out bag, and a new small butane stove to replace my old crappy one that runs of the bulky, heavy propane canisters. also put my name on the list for redneckmedic's group buy for trauma kits.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Updated my first aid kits, found my range bag with 12 mags in it! Changed the oil in three trucks and thought about splitting some wood.

Read Earth Abides, have a few new spring ideas and now I have to think about hordes of rats swarming my place......

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    well just got back from walmart picked up a couple boxes of 00 buck and another 1k of 22lr. also found some emergency blankets and little stuff for survival kit. god i love that store lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom