• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    With the high winds and cold temps this week, we went ahead and invested in a kerosene heater and an inverter. Now emergency heat has been covered as well as a way to recharge needed medical equipment.

I so want to run a drill to see how things go, but, I'm afraid of how many holes I will find. Better now than in an emergency, but its not going to be fun.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I made sure the cans were rotated and old stuff tossed. I found one dented can-tossed and one spoiled can-I vented it under water and geesh it was nasty.

The can that went bad was Stokely's Bravarian Sauerkraut- its not a popular food/can in our household.

If I didn't vent it underwater, it would be an effective WMD! It had a 9/2008 production date

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I butchered 2 hogs today and started curing the bacon and froze the chops and roasts . Later today i will grind sausage and start canning some of the cut meat for barbecue . Local walmart had 22 bulk pack in stock so i bought a few . Calling monday to get propane and diesel tanks refilled . Propane is backup heat and for the stove and the diesel is for my trucks and backup gen set .

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Bought a super loud whistle for the bug out bag. Mink oiled my leather holsters/scabbards. Am getting ready to Parkerize a Ruger MKI for the BOB on Monday. That way I can wrap it in an oily rag in a plastic bag and it is good to go.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Traded a beat up Geo Metro for a couple cords of wood. Did some pistol drills. Worked extra hours to pay off bills. Bought some ammo.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I went to breakfast with the Noblesville crowd on Saturday and built up my winter fat. ;)

Seriously, I count the breakfast get-together as prepping. I had the chance to get to know more people on the board, exchange ideas, and develop relationships. Knowing the people who live near you that are of similar mind can be as important in prepping as storing up ammo.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    This week, I bought gas masks (Czech M10Ms), another brick of .22, another knife sharpener, a funnel for the Coleman cook stove and lantern, 20 lbs of sugar, 20 lbs of flour, a gallon of veggie oil, vinegar, couple lbs pasta, and looked for granular pool shock and priced out bulk yeast, ordered seeds from emergency essentials. Pool shock isn't as easy to find in the winter, and just gonna buy a pound of yeast and grow the heck out of it when I need more.

I've got the basics basically covered:) I'm not ever going to be happy with the amount of food I have stocked, and need to focus on things like a spare generator, kerosene heater, gas, diesel, batteries to store extra power from when the generator is running......I almost bought an OLD farm generator w/32v glass battery system several years ago, I really wish I hadn't passed that up. That system is so simple it can never fail. It was used by farmers to light the chicken house and milking barns before electricity was commonly in rural areas. Just a VERY basic single cylinder gas engine w/basic magnetotron generator and glass batteries w/lead cores, electrolite and wooden lids! This one had 35 batteries. Everyone buys a generator and gas, but I never hear about anyone having a bank of batteries to store electricity and save gas. You can get deep cycle marine batteries at walmart for about $75 each, a dozen or two would be a varey wise buy for those with generators and don't forget the charger and inverter. One 12v deep cycle can power a computer for days!

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I went to breakfast with the Noblesville crowd on Saturday and built up my winter fat. ;)

Seriously, I count the breakfast get-together as prepping. I had the chance to get to know more people on the board, exchange ideas, and develop relationships. Knowing the people who live near you that are of similar mind can be as important in prepping as storing up ammo.

6 months ago, I wouldn't have let you on the property in a SHTF, today, you are welcome in my home.

Your friends, and to a greater extent, the skills and attitude of the group, will last much longer than supplies, I think you're on the right track. I'm glad to know your family, hope you can meet the rest of my group someday!

BTW, I forgot to show you the Becker at the B-Fast, if you're around this week, I'd like to swing by and show you the knife.

Send me a PM when you get a chance.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    This week, I bought gas masks (Czech M10Ms), another brick of .22, another knife sharpener, a funnel for the Coleman cook stove and lantern, 20 lbs of sugar, 20 lbs of flour, a gallon of veggie oil, vinegar, couple lbs pasta, and looked for granular pool shock and priced out bulk yeast, ordered seeds from emergency essentials. Pool shock isn't as easy to find in the winter, and just gonna buy a pound of yeast and grow the heck out of it when I need more.

I've got the basics basically covered:) I'm not ever going to be happy with the amount of food I have stocked, and need to focus on things like a spare generator, kerosene heater, gas, diesel, batteries to store extra power from when the generator is running......I almost bought an OLD farm generator w/32v glass battery system several years ago, I really wish I hadn't passed that up. That system is so simple it can never fail. It was used by farmers to light the chicken house and milking barns before electricity was commonly in rural areas. Just a VERY basic single cylinder gas engine w/basic magnetotron generator and glass batteries w/lead cores, electrolite and wooden lids! This one had 35 batteries. Everyone buys a generator and gas, but I never hear about anyone having a bank of batteries to store electricity and save gas. You can get deep cycle marine batteries at walmart for about $75 each, a dozen or two would be a varey wise buy for those with generators and don't forget the charger and inverter. One 12v deep cycle can power a computer for days!

I like your idea about a battery bank. When I lived off the grid, I had a charger hooked to some batteries (Marine type), so when I ran the generator, the extra power was charging the batteries. Then when I turned the generator off, I had an inverter to run things such as lights and fans. I also had a solar panel hooked up to a gel cell for power. One thing I'd think about if your going to buy marine deep calls in quantity is to look a perhaps golf cart batteries, or batteries that are more suited to a back-up 12vdc system. I'm not an expert, but I think that you can get a better charger controller(?) and get a good inverter (unless you're running dc stuff). That way you'll have a more robust system that can have solar or wind easily added. But having a way to store the extra juice from the generator is a very good idea.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    A year or so ago I was reading about using old forklift batteries being used for storage in an off grid system. It was said they would take a deeper charge and hold it much longer than marine batteries. They were taking the old batteries and reconditioning them and getting another 10 to 15 years out of them. One fellow was using reconditioning submarine batteries. Those things were as tall as he was.

I wish I could remember where I saw the info, but I can’t.

Bucky

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Prepping

Started a new version of my walk home bag. I got an Alice Pack in a lot of surplus so I went out and bought a frame. Now it is laid out on the table in my safe room with a variety of gear that might go in it.

I also made plans with my wife to buy more heirloom seeds for next year's gardening and we are making some improvements to the greenhouse.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I've priced out an 8k/10kmax generator and transfer switch. Purchased a 40 cal Glock and a 20ga slug barrel (due to weight I went with my 20ga 870 over my 12ga). Bought a brick of .22 hollow points and a manual pump that will work on 3&5 gal water jugs...also working on my wife's Ruger 1022 so it ejects mags better.
    I still have a lot to do....oh yes...got my ferro rods in the mail the other day too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom