• Status
    Not open for further replies.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I finally got around to putting my 50lb bag of rice in to mylar bags and sealed them in 5-gallon buckets with O2 absorbers. Also, trying to get a decent amount " about 25 lbs" of beans in order to do the same.

Where does one find the mylar bags, 5-gallon buckets and O2 absorbers? Also, how many buckets does it take to store a 50lb bag of rice? Are the 5-gallon buckets rated "food grade" or do you just use the ones from the hardware store?

As for what I have done this week.....water, canned goods, ramen noodles, ammo, organized the stores, tested my camp stove that I haven't used in a couple of years, went shooting. Also discussed "the plan" with my wife and discussed future plans.

FWIW: Kroger has cans of "Chunky Soup" for $0.99/can, about $0.60 off regular price. I thought that was a good deal. I wouldn't mind eating it when it gets close to the "expiration" date.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Where does one find the mylar bags, 5-gallon buckets and O2 absorbers? Also, how many buckets does it take to store a 50lb bag of rice? Are the 5-gallon buckets rated "food grade" or do you just use the ones from the hardware store?

As for what I have done this week.....water, canned goods, ramen noodles, ammo, organized the stores, tested my camp stove that I haven't used in a couple of years, went shooting. Also discussed "the plan" with my wife and discussed future plans.

FWIW: Kroger has cans of "Chunky Soup" for $0.99/can, about $0.60 off regular price. I thought that was a good deal. I wouldn't mind eating it when it gets close to the "expiration" date.
    :yesway: We stocked up on that also. Chunky soup agrees with our system. If I eat a bean meal more than once a week, my stomach and everyone around me is SORRY!

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I just weighted a two gallon bucket of rice and it came to 17 lbs. I also weighted an empty bucket and it came to right at one pound. So it looks like 8 lbs. of rice per gal.

We get our buckets free from the bakery and deli at Kroger’s and Walmart.

Bucky

Last edited:

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Convinced the wife to keep replacing and building up the amount of canned goods we use on a regular basis. With the dollar heading down, I don't think we will ever get things cheaper than right now. (She was on board with the "hedge against inflation" take.) She still looks at me sideways on some other prep type things, but she lets me do it nonetheless. One day I may look like a genius!!!!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Changed my diet. I have started eating healthier. I eat smaller portions with healthy snacks in between meals. This has been tuff for me. I have always been the type of person to eat until I feel ready to bust and then eat some more.

What is the point in prepping if you have a heart attack when something goes down? I owe it to myself and my kids to take better care of myself.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    That is wise

Changed my diet. I have started eating healthier. I eat smaller portions with healthy snacks in between meals. This has been tuff for me. I have always been the type of person to eat until I feel ready to bust and then eat some more.

What is the point in prepping if you have a heart attack when something goes down? I owe it to myself and my kids to take better care of myself.

I'm like you I love to eat,:rockwoot: I try to eat less, eat healthier.Along those lines, preppers should also see the Doctor and the Dentist regularly. That way you can avoid a heart attack or bad tooth at the WORSE time.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I bought another 3k rounds of 22lr. Was going to pick up a case of MREs but I just cant bring myself to spend money on those meals from the devil, so canned food it is. :)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I bought ammo, lots of ammo. Yesterday stocked up on 300+ canned goods. Purchased a few guns this month. Got a few more items for the BOB for back up.... Feels good. Still need a few things for the bag, working on it.

RM

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Well, I finally got off my duff and did some prep work this week. In order of attack, the cars and truck, winterized and got them ready for bad weather while we have this nice streak.

Then, I broke out the Foodsaver, vacume packed beans, rice, pasta, sugar, and dehydrated hashbrowns.

I took advantage of the frosty mornings to do the vacume packing, and not to waste any time, spent the evenings loading up ammo, 30-06, 30-30, .38, .40, and .45.

Most everything is done with reguards to winterizing house, so, now I can concentrate on laying up some meat for the freezer.

Thanks for motivating me to do these things before things get out of hand. +1 gang :ingo::ingo: :patriot: Don

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    We have had a very busy week at our house. I tuned up the generator with fresh oil, new fuel filter, and a spark plug. I picked up two kerosene heaters, one big 23,000 BTU, and one smaller 10,000 BTU for $30 a piece ! We added a ton of food to our basement shelves including cases of green beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, corn, kidney beans, refried beans, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, soups, stuffing, bread crumbs, pastas, and a bunch of cleaning supplies. I added another 12 gallons to our water storage, and 12 half gallons of cranberry juice that I scored on a killer sale from Walgreens. Going hunting tomorrow morning, and hoping for some more meat for the freezer !! Constantly prepping around our house that's for sure. I also successfully made my first loaf of homemade bread in the oven, and it turned out fantastic !!

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Yesterday I spend five hours taking a trauma class put on by Redneckmedic. If he does it again, I would highly recommend that everyone takes it. Not only did I learn a lot, but I also met others on the site who are interested in gaining real knowledge. When I was there, we talked about putting together a big bulk buy on medical supplies to help cut down costs. From this class, and the bulk buy, I'm going to be putting together trauma kits for both cars, my house, my garage, and a smaller one to keep at my desk at work, just in case. I'm also thinking about putting together kits for family members and giving them out during Christmas.

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Today i dwell ed upon my emergency comm. ( ham radios) and power supplies. I also began thinking about my water supply.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom