• ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    “What have you done this week?”

Well just put up 164 small sq. bales of hay. Adding to last years sm. sq’s. Attempting to put buy a full yr. surplus of hay for emergency situations. And making it doable by hand, in case of equipment failure or fuel shortage.
    Now that's looking ahead. Smart!
    How many bales do you go thru in a year?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Now that's looking ahead. Smart!
    How many bales do you go thru in a year?
    Bout 75-85 large rounds. But in an emergency I could sell all but the mom’s. And a bull. I’d like to have 1000 sm. sq. Just a guess I think I have about 700+. All 3rd. cutting. You can see this years bale wrap in my avatar, American Flag. Looks cool from the road.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We bought 5 extra quarts of formula and 80bottles of water today. Finished writing down all the relevant radio frequencies on my lunch now I need to type them on cards and get them to like minded family and friends. Wife wants me to order a couple more radios this week.

Reactions: Mij

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last time:

I ran the snow blower over the weekend. It's time to top off all of the fuel cans before winter hits. I've been my own worst enemy on this because I dipped too far into the storage supplies. I suppose I could say I've rotated some fuel out though. :)

I recently picked up a case (10 packs) of federal automatch 22lr. I had enough, but when I saw it was available and halfway reasonable, I jumped on it. I'm sure I overpaid by good old days pricing standards, but the extra $50 was worth it for 3,250rds of 22lr ammo. I don't regret it.

We took the family camping with a church campout, which I tried to steer into a mock bugout. Honestly, it went really well. We tested different types of setups and got some good family time in outdoors.

Tested out my new backpacking shelter rig. I picked up a six moon design gatewood cape because it's a poncho that sets up just like a one person shelter. Without the inner bug net & floor it's a 10oz shelter that doubles as rain gear so it saves even more weight and space there too.

Planning to finish the second half of the Knobstone trail in a couple of weeks. We did a little past the first half in the spring, and now we're just wanting to finish that off. We've both cut about 10# of weight out of our packs in preparations for this trip and we were pretty light to begin with the first time. This go around we're both going to be at 20# ish with all our gear, food and water for 3 days, two nights.

Since recovering from a bulged disc I've just been getting back into the gym. My cardio is in the dumpster, and I have extra pounds to loose to working on both of those.

Reactions: Mij

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Our improvements have come in a couple of different forms. Simple improvements around the house to make it more efficient such as:
    1) Building new well house (old one was rotting away and not retaining heat at all)
    2) Building a new clothes line (already have stuff for hand washing clothes)
    3) We are also expanding our garden in 2 different areas. One is adding new raised beds, and we also created a new large in ground bed for storage vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots).

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Had my back fixed a couple weeks ago... I'm retiring this next year and want to be ready to develop the self sustaining homestead.
    I bought a David Bradley tractor with a set of garden tools. Lately I discovered that I have a motor to replace the old Tecumseh that doesn't run. Healing is a great time to do research. Next month, I'm catching up on the reloading.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've restocked all the meds for our pet fish. The old ones were getting out of date and I wouldn't want my little fishies getting sick.

Earlier this year I decided to let about a 1 acre section of yard grow wild hoping to give wildlife some cover. Now I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to mow that area down and turn it into a giant garden for 2023. With the way the world is right now I wouldn't mind being able to have a better control on my food supply and be able to help out the neighbors. I found a local person giving away free "compost" and with my soil it's desperate for any kind of nutrients.

Looking into adding more chickens. Currently at 8 of them and my new 4 have just now started laying eggs, so hopefully I'll continue to get some eggs over winter.

Repacked the vehicle bag for winter. Nothing really changed other than restocking the snacky stuff I keep pilfering when I get hungry. Swapped out the knife in the bag for a different one, and added a silky 240mm saw. Those things make short work of turning downed wood into firewood.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    In anticipation of harvesting a couple deer this month, I've just ordered 300 wide mouth lids from a company called Forjars. They appear to be as good as Ball (time will tell) and a tad cheaper. Saved 10% with FARMERSWIFE discount code and free shipping over $50 (website says $100 but checkout says $50) and they have plenty of regular and widemouth lids in stock.
    I will post or edit any positive or negative experiences I have with these new lids.

Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    Refilled all my gas cans before the latest bump in price. Added fuel stabilizer to them. Drained fuel from lawn implements that likely will not be used until spring. Started repairing lawn implements that needed it. Moved compost pile.

Revdrw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2022
    Portage, Indiana
    New to this, but there are several books out there to tell you how to survive eating weeds (not “weed”) The wisdom of weeds is one and Wild Edibles: A Practical Guide to Foraging. I’m not suggesting this would be prime food, but I’ve tried several weeds added to my salad and they are pretty good and amazingly healthy, just a thought from a newbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpecWar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My friend lives in Kentucky, somewhere in Paducah there is a gun store that he does business with on a regular basis.. I was told that they DO NOT SHIP.... have no idea why not, I don't ask questions, he called, said that this was the price and how many I wanted.. If I can find out more on this subject, I will put it out, as of today, they are sold out, have no idea when they will have them back in stock... This may be a hit and miss on getting these valuable items in, don't know....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Please pardon, if I'm too nosey, but I don't get the secrecy? :scratch: What is considered a "steal of a price"?

Pistol primers? Rifle Primers?

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I just got in 10,000 small rifle at 80.00 per thousand from american reloading that was with free shipping and no tax they have more now but prices are a little higher though cci primers too

Top Bottom