• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    We have a set of brand new Baofeng hand helds. All programed and ready to roll. I am looking at one of them now.
    The other 2 are also programed. I need to get these to the proper people. Thanks for the mention.

A few of us up here are having a get together programming session at my house in late February. I'll be glad to get the programming completed.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last Sept when there were some articles making it sounds like the Baofengs were about to become banned I bought a half dozen of them and a large multi unit charger. They're just a glorified handheld, but they're programmed and sitting on the shelf. The ones I've had and used for years are showing their age and getting a little quirky, but I'm going to run them until they're done. Comms are important, but I always looked at it as a luxury item. It's a luxury to talk with other people, and get some news, but it's not always going to be available or necessarily needed.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    We have a set of brand new Baofeng hand helds. All programed and ready to roll. I am looking at one of them now.
    The other 2 are also programed. I need to get these to the proper people. Thanks for the mention.
    As soon as I figure out HOW to program them, I have 6 UV-5R’s waiting in the wings.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As soon as I figure out HOW to program them, I have 6 UV-5R’s waiting in the wings.
    I’m not far from you. Do you have the programming cable? With CHIRP it’s not hard. If you don’t have the cable, I’ve got a compatible one and we could meet up sometime.

Once the programming file is built, it literally takes 10 seconds to program one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After rolling past that nasty wreck on 70 tonight, (I got there just after one of the truck's saddle tanks blew, scary stuff) I considered stopping to help (first responders were not there yet), but realized I was probably out of my league. Plus traffic was still rolling past the wreck slowly, and I wasnt thrilled about trying to cross the highway wearing a black coat, carrying an all black go bag, while making sure oncoming traffic isnt looking at the carnage and didnt hit me. This was all going down about 1-2 miles past Greenfield, so no highway lights at all and it was pitch black.

So that got me to thinking about how to better stage my bag. My hivis vest now pokes out the top a bit so I can grab it quicker. I also need to put a brighter light in a better spot to grab it. (currently deep in a pocket) But as to the backpack I want some removable reflectors. Has anyone seen a source for reflective strap covers? A tube of reflective tape that you thread the strap through. I'd need 3 for my pack to be effective.

I could probably also add a couple velcro backed ones as well. (I found the patches already)

And I want removable, because if that go bag was ever needed as a get home bag, I'd want to be able to remove them for stealth. suggestions?

I found this guy as a last resort, but his are rather pricey at $20 each.
    Accessories

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m not far from you. Do you have the programming cable? With CHIRP it’s not hard. If you don’t have the cable, I’ve got a compatible one and we could meet up sometime.

Once the programming file is built, it literally takes 10 seconds to program one.
    I believe one of the five has the cable included, but I’ll have to check. I had one, and bought a 5 pack before the supposed ban, just haven’t done anything with them as I’m out of my element by far.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I believe one of the five has the cable included, but I’ll have to check. I had one, and bought a 5 pack before the supposed ban, just haven’t done anything with them as I’m out of my element by far.

Its easier than you think. This is the software you want.
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Its easy to install. Granted the tweaks for exactly how you want to use them can be confusing. If you just want to make them FRS/GMRS there is actually a template in there for that in the software.

Definitely something we can get together over a burger with your laptop and I can walk you through how to program them. (or mine if you dont have a laptop)

Shoot me a PM if you want to get together to program them sometime.

They'll work right now OOB, but I forget what nightmare of a frequency setup they have. As I recall last time I looked it stepped on at least one locally licensed business user. But of course, if the SHTF you really wont care about a business user. (and they probably wont either) :):

And yes, by FCC reg, even if you do program them to FRS/GMRS frequencies, you are technically still illegal as the regs say stupid things like no removable antenna. But in practical terms, you arent harming anyone because you are still on frequency and below the max output. (just dont hook them up to an external antenna or amp)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After rolling past that nasty wreck on 70 tonight, (I got there just after one of the truck's saddle tanks blew, scary stuff) I considered stopping to help (first responders were not there yet), but realized I was probably out of my league. Plus traffic was still rolling past the wreck slowly, and I wasnt thrilled about trying to cross the highway wearing a black coat, carrying an all black go bag, while making sure oncoming traffic isnt looking at the carnage and didnt hit me. This was all going down about 1-2 miles past Greenfield, so no highway lights at all and it was pitch black.

So that got me to thinking about how to better stage my bag. My hivis vest now pokes out the top a bit so I can grab it quicker. I also need to put a brighter light in a better spot to grab it. (currently deep in a pocket) But as to the backpack I want some removable reflectors. Has anyone seen a source for reflective strap covers? A tube of reflective tape that you thread the strap through. I'd need 3 for my pack to be effective.

I could probably also add a couple velcro backed ones as well. (I found the patches already)

And I want removable, because if that go bag was ever needed as a get home bag, I'd want to be able to remove them for stealth. suggestions?

I found this guy as a last resort, but his are rather pricey at $20 each.
    Accessories

If you're looking at some reflective options, I don't know how much coverage you're looking for, but you may be interested in taking a look at some reflective rope. I got started with this stuff so that I wasn't tripping over guy lines when I wake up at night while out camping or whatever. I presonally prefer the bright orange rope that has the reflective stuff sewn into it. That helps me see it during day and night. It may sound a little silly, but when a light hits even that thin of a line it really reflects quite a bit back and shows up very well. I have also used the reflective shock cord to replace any standard shock cords on packs that run through the outside to hold extra stuff down. I have done quite a bit of road hiking lately after the kids go to bed at night and it's dark. For me it's just about the only time I can get out, but I also really don't want a car to come up behind me and clobber me while I'm trying to work on the dad bod.

My preferred reflective line:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/reflective-cord/

Another great option:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-RR-...ite+ize+reflective+cord&qid=1579788980&sr=8-1

You're probably looking for more coverage that these reflective lines, and you may be able to find a reflective pack cover for your bag too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you're looking at some reflective options, I don't know how much coverage you're looking for, but you may be interested in taking a look at some reflective rope. I got started with this stuff so that I wasn't tripping over guy lines when I wake up at night while out camping or whatever. I presonally prefer the bright orange rope that has the reflective stuff sewn into it. That helps me see it during day and night. It may sound a little silly, but when a light hits even that thin of a line it really reflects quite a bit back and shows up very well. I have also used the reflective shock cord to replace any standard shock cords on packs that run through the outside to hold extra stuff down. I have done quite a bit of road hiking lately after the kids go to bed at night and it's dark. For me it's just about the only time I can get out, but I also really don't want a car to come up behind me and clobber me while I'm trying to work on the dad bod.

My preferred reflective line:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/reflective-cord/

Another great option:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-RR-...ite+ize+reflective+cord&qid=1579788980&sr=8-1

You're probably looking for more coverage that these reflective lines, and you may be able to find a reflective pack cover for your bag too.

Yeah, reflective rope isnt anywhere near the scope of this. I need to apply patches to the back of the pack, (found) and for the sides I need to surround the cinch straps with a tube of reflective tape.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So that got me to thinking about how to better stage my bag. My hivis vest now pokes out the top a bit so I can grab it quicker. I also need to put a brighter light in a better spot to grab it. (currently deep in a pocket) But as to the backpack I want some removable reflectors.

My bag is black as well, just because that's what I bought. I had never considered getting a hivis vest or even reflectors. I stopped three times at accidents last year. Two in the daytime. One at night where a car was stuck on ice. Didn't need my bag at any of them, thankfully.

The night accident was well lit, but I still had an idiot swerve, hit ice and head toward me. Slow, but scary.

Taking the spousal unit to a doc visit today. Think I will stop in a couple places and see about snagging a thin vest that will be big enough to go over my winter clothing.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    High Vis Vests work!!!! As a utility worker, seeing every other car go by with a distracted driver makes you worry when your by yourself along the roadway. By giving them something more visible to catch their eyes,
    the vest does get them to put the phone down a little quicker.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Added my first bit of canned goods to storage. I know it's not a high speed prep, but I had to start somewhere. I will look into longer term food options as funds permit.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Added my first bit of canned goods to storage. I know it's not a high speed prep, but I had to start somewhere. I will look into longer term food options as funds permit.

Welcome to the club. That is a 100% reasonable place to start. It's also easy.
    -When you would normally buy 2 cans of soup, buy three instead and build a stock over time. If there is a sale, you can get more.
    -Eat what you store. Store what you eat. Be sure to rotate your purchases with your storage, so you don't end up tossing old food and feeling like you wasted money.
    -Water storage is easy. Don't use milk jugs, but 2L soda bottles work well. Rotation isn't as important as for food. You can get fancier, but simply storing tap water works well. Keep these out of direct light to avoid algae growth.
    -Food and water are a great place to start. They can help you through many short-term emergencies. Think about what other contingencies you might be concerned about and start working on those. Unemployment? Major electrical outage? Local severe weather event? Zombie apocalypse? Financial collapse? Pandemic? Smaller, more localized more events are more common than big regional/national/international emergencies.
    -You will find that there is a lot of overlap in preps for different contingencies. Have cash saved for emergency expenses? That also helps if banks shut down or if you have to bug out. Likewise, food/water stocks can help you in multiple emergencies. Etc, etc.
    -Stuff is helpful, but look to build practical skills and a community for mutual support as well.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Welcome to the club. That is a 100% reasonable place to start. It's also easy.
    -When you would normally buy 2 cans of soup, buy three instead and build a stock over time. If there is a sale, you can get more.
    -Eat what you store. Store what you eat. Be sure to rotate your purchases with your storage, so you don't end up tossing old food and feeling like you wasted money.
    -Water storage is easy. Don't use milk jugs, but 2L soda bottles work well. Rotation isn't as important as for food. You can get fancier, but simply storing tap water works well. Keep these out of direct light to avoid algae growth.
    -Food and water are a great place to start. They can help you through many short-term emergencies. Think about what other contingencies you might be concerned about and start working on those. Unemployment? Major electrical outage? Local severe weather event? Zombie apocalypse? Financial collapse? Pandemic? Smaller, more localized more events are more common than big regional/national/international emergencies.
    -You will find that there is a lot of overlap in preps for different contingencies. Have cash saved for emergency expenses? That also helps if banks shut down or if you have to bug out. Likewise, food/water stocks can help you in multiple emergencies. Etc, etc.
    -Stuff is helpful, but look to build practical skills and a community for mutual support as well.

Thanks for the tips! I've been trying to keep up on this thread, but there is a lot of advantages ed stuff going. I havent had room for storage. Having just bought a larger house, the basement will be built to suit my needs/wants.

As of now, if feel extremely comfortable for 48-72hrs localized emergency.

Baby stuff, boo boo kits, 25 gal potable water, and several days worth of canned goods. Vehicles have the essentials for emergencies.

Next step is to get to a weeks worth, then start thinking longer term food supplies. Get home bag for each family member. As well as rebuilding my stay at home aka big med kit.

I have to ease into it because of funding, but I should meet my "week" goal in a few months.

Top Bottom