• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    4 more 5 gallon poly jugs arrived today. I filled both trucks from older reserves and those empty's with the 4 new ones will be refilled tomorrow.

How much should one get? To store more, I need another box to put the cans in. I have 20 gallons now, plus multiple propane tanks. Genny is dual fuel.

Going off Champion’s numbers I should be good for 56+ hours of continuous runtime.

That does not sound like much. But running would not be 24x7.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    ZZQ3dx0.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How much should one get? To store more, I need another box to put the cans in. I have 20 gallons now, plus multiple propane tanks. Genny is dual fuel.

Going off Champion’s numbers I should be good for 56+ hours of continuous runtime.

That does not sound like much. But running would not be 24x7.

How much is up to you.

Space to safely store. Budgets to get set up. I cycled out several jugs and filled the new ones and dropped $13 on StayBil. I am not sure how many run hours we could get but we are running 2 decent sized gennys to do 2 houses. Also a smaller inverter unit for TV's and such.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    That's the problem. You dont plant chickens....that's just silly :):

Right. You plant their seeds. The real trick is to find some that haven't been refrigerated... sadly, that's all you can ever find at the grocery store.

Seriously speaking, something done this week was to buy more chicks; our current flock was down to 4 girls and is nearing 4 years old... their production has picked back up a bit with the weather, but it's time to start a new generation.

Also put together some chicken-wire covers for our raised beds in the hope of keeping the deer out of our garden (aka their salad bar) this year.

I also learned from my recent troubleshooting and eventual repairs of:
    - furnace (replaced igniter)
    - sump pump (replaced float switch)

Tomorrow, I'll have fun learning about PVC piping in pressure applications as I replace a ball valve and some pipe coming out of the sewage ejection pit. I'm REALLY not looking forward to that education :abused:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ordered a second freezer today. This one is nice because it can also be a fridge. https://www.sears.com/kenmore-22142-13.5-cu-ft-upright-freezer-white/p-A058458719 It was discounted quite a bit plus I used a $50 coupon (kenmore50) . Delivery not until April 17. Hope there is still meat and veg to be had by then.

Edited to add: Freezers are VERY scarce. If you need one, find one now. Most places had them backordered into summer.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We had a nice family picnic yesterday sitting down by the pond in the sunshine. The daughter spent some time in the yard gathering dandelions, both leaf for salad and the first of the early flowers to batter and fry. A little balsamic vinaigrette on the leaves and you couldn't really tell it was any different from some fancy store bought lettuce. The fried flowers were tasty too. They paired nice with a meat and cheese tray (Braunschweiger, Jagdwurst, Liverwurst and Jarlsburg) and some cornbread muffins washed down with a nice Merlot.

Experimented this morning with using Flax seed as an egg replacement. 1 Tablespoon seed to 3 Tablespoons water and let it soak for a bit. Made an apricot fig coffee cake with walnuts and not a scrap was left. It worked great. I'm guessing it won't make much of an omelette though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had a nice family picnic yesterday sitting down by the pond in the sunshine. The daughter spent some time in the yard gathering dandelions, both leaf for salad and the first of the early flowers to batter and fry. A little balsamic vinaigrette on the leaves and you couldn't really tell it was any different from some fancy store bought lettuce. The fried flowers were tasty too. They paired nice with a meat and cheese tray (Braunschweiger, Jagdwurst, Liverwurst and Jarlsburg) and some cornbread muffins washed down with a nice Merlot.

Experimented this morning with using Flax seed as an egg replacement. 1 Tablespoon seed to 3 Tablespoons water and let it soak for a bit. Made an apricot fig coffee cake with walnuts and not a scrap was left. It worked great. I'm guessing it won't make much of an omelette though.

Interesting.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ordered a second freezer today. This one is nice because it can also be a fridge. https://www.sears.com/kenmore-22142-13.5-cu-ft-upright-freezer-white/p-A058458719 It was discounted quite a bit plus I used a $50 coupon (kenmore50) . Delivery not until April 17. Hope there is still meat and veg to be had by then.

Edited to add: Freezers are VERY scarce. If you need one, find one now. Most places had them backordered into summer.

Best Buy had none available today for shipping in a week. Lowes and Menards was same. My brother found one at in Anderson at Menards, my local store was shocked, and had it on his truck in 20 minutes. They are saying June delivery but that is just a wild azz guess...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Best Buy had none available today for shipping in a week. Lowes and Menards was same. My brother found one at in Anderson at Menards, my local store was shocked, and had it on his truck in 20 minutes. They are saying June delivery but that is just a wild azz guess...

Yeah, I don't trust backorder dates. So much can change by then. I'm still skeptical that I'll get mine in two weeks. It went out of stock as soon as I bought it. I called to make sure that I did get it, and they said yes.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We just picked up a free to us hand me down fridge for the garage yesterday from the in laws. Almost feel bad mentioning it after everything i just read, sorry.

We've been cleaning the house, kids rooms and garage so much lately it feels like a whole new home.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Yeah, it will be easier to store flax seed than dozens of eggs. That 1 to 3 ratio is per egg in the recipe and was actually on the back of the bag we have.
    Flax seed raises cortisol levels and negates the effect of testosterone in the male body.

Top Bottom