• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Mr. Hoppes you are correct. This board isn't as important as my job and why I don't try and perfect my spelling, grammar, etc. What I do try to do is type in sentences. This is so that others will understand what I'm trying to communicate to them.
    That in and of itself is a travesty considering the purpose of this board is to share and communicate efficiently.

While I try to be correct as much as possible some times the idea I am trying to communitcate gets lost nin spelling and grammar.

Also lost is the personalization of voice that sometimes comes out in type. For instance Ya'all Yes it is YOU ALL I pronounce it ya'all, think Jeff Foxwworthy. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOcazzLW5D8]YouTube - Jeff Foxworthy - Tow Mater - Redneck Words[/ame]

Proper spelling and grammar don't really apply.

PLUS the fact is this more often then not ends up being a deviding point on message boards where some have made it a rule to post in proper terms. Some folks having Dyslexia like I do make typing messages extra difficult because even when I look at spell check it looks wrong to me. Simply hitting change every time the spell checker stops often changes the entire meaning of what you were trying to say.

It isn't always folks being LAZY. Or folks being inconsiderate. Sometimes it is just people.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    My point is that you put in effort to make your posts easily readable and understandable. Minor spelling and grammar aside, it one thing to have a misspelled word here and there. It is entirely another matter to not use a single comma, period, or an upper case letter while stringing together an entire paragraph.

The effort you put into to your posts tells me two things. First, you want people to understand what you say, and second, you think what you have to say is important enough to communicate to others. That is enough for me. Again, your effort is clear and so is your communication.

Since I started on this site, I've only seen two gross offenders, the first was made aware of the difficulty many people were having understanding their posts and has generally made good effort to improve. The second was posted today, and generated this discussion. 2 people in several months doing this means it isn't really an issue. It just needs discussed when it happens if its important to people.

I want to hear and understand what people have to say, but if it all strings together into a stream of consciousness writing I can't. People should know if their posts are getting passed over because somebody can't understand what they type. No offense is meant by me when doing so, only to let them know what's happening.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    You forgot to use the tab button on your new paragraphs.lol

This is a message board, most of us made it past primary & college. My spelling is not the greatest but I am not writting a term paper, just trying to get the point accross. Most people who try to correct others seem to have a problem of there own.

p.s. I am typing with two fingers "surgery". not arguing just joining the discussion.
    thanks

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Spell check is my friend! I still cant type without looking at the keys and I make typos all the time. But I can build and program computers all day. Can also fix and diagnose most gun issues. And have a level of common sense surpassed by very few. But cant spell worth a ****! Good spelling and grammar can make even dumb people sound smart! (they still dumb) Great reading comprehension can make you book smart, (still can be dumb) and real life can offer a chance to learn common sense. (will never be dumb) You shouldn't judge people. (statements above are only my opinion)

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    SYou shouldn't judge people It really does make you look like a ***hole. (statements above are only my opinion)

Not sure who the above comment was directed at.
    My original post was a simple request to please include a beginning
    and/or an end to each written sentence (when the post includes
    more than one sentence).
    It was not meant to belittle nor was it directed at anyone specifically.

Is this a geico commercial?

Last edited:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Possibly I went to far and dropped my self to a lower level. Just found this thread whiny. Ill behave my self. But not every on is perfect is all im saying.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Spell check

Eye like too make sentences witch well fool spell Czech. It's knot too hard too miss up a sentence reel bad and still get it passed spell Czech. Wad due ewe think?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Eye like too make sentences witch well fool spell Czech. It's knot too hard too miss up a sentence reel bad and still get it passed spell Czech. Wad due ewe think?

Wee fish ewe a mare egrets moose, panda hippo gnu deer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    KINDA LIKE THOSE GUYS TEN OR TWELVE YEARS AGO THAT ALWAYS LEFT THE CAPS LOCK ON CAUSE IT WAS EASIER FOR THEM NOT TO HAVE TO MESS WITH THE SHIFT KEY WITH NO REGARD FOR THE FOLKS EYES AND MINDS THAT THEY WERE TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    KINDA LIKE THOSE GUYS TEN OR TWELVE YEARS AGO THAT ALWAYS LEFT THE CAPS LOCK ON CAUSE IT WAS EASIER FOR THEM NOT TO HAVE TO MESS WITH THE SHIFT KEY WITH NO REGARD FOR THE FOLKS EYES AND MINDS THAT THEY WERE TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH

Please stop SCREAMING....

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

WHAT??

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Write a paragraph. Take it to three different english teachers indepently and see what you get. I would be willing to make a famous statement if all three completely agree.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Pay no attention to the man behind that stack of brown bottles.:)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "Information? I need the number of the Caseway Insurance Company."

"Would you spell that, please?"

"Certainly. C as in cay. A as in aye. S as in sea. E as in eye. W as in why. A as in are. Y as in you."

The operator pauses. "Just a minute, sir. I'll connect you with my supervisor . . .":n00b:

Top Bottom