• ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    A little rant.
    I've been seeing more and more posts that have little or no punctuation.
    The post is one long sentence that is impossible to decipher.

Example:
    this is how the post reads i have a hard time understanding what you are
    trying to say oh well i guess i dont need to read your message anyway
    how did you get thru high school by this way writing just wanted to show
    u what your righting style looks like with spelling and grammatical in it mistakes still l dont know how you can effectively communicate on your job
    this way writing hehe morse code is easier to read than garbage this

Please, stop

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I look at the posts kind of like I was talking to the person in person. One has to give some leeway on the internet. Sometimes the brain works faster than the fingers do. IMHO

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I look at the posts kind of like I was talking to the person in person. One has to give some leeway on the internet. Sometimes the brain works faster than the fingers do. IMHO

I don't know about you but I end my sentences when I speak face to face.
    I'm still wondering if these folks hand in their school essays in this format or email their employers this way?

How about a compromise:
    start a new line with a new thought or sentence?
    Hit the space button 3 times when you're done with sentence?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Here is my problem with the argument that the brain works faster than your fingers do:

1 - You don't have to post a message in a fixed amount of time. You can actually read it first.

2 - All posts have an edit button for fixing posts that you realize are impossible to read.

3 - Other people take the time to read through their posts and make sure they make sense for the benefit of those reading them. Isn't it common courtesy to do the same?

No one expects posts to be perfect. It is an informal medium. However, just a little work for the poster can save hundred of readers effort.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    lolerskates.jpg

case in point?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I don't know about you but I end my sentences when I speak face to face.
    I'm still wondering if these folks hand in their school essays in this format or email their employers this way?

How about a compromise:
    start a new line with a new thought or sentence?
    Hit the space button 3 times when you're done with sentence?

With face to face it's a back and forth conversation, with posting it's not.
    Maybe they do.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Here is my problem with the argument that the brain works faster than your fingers do:

1 - You don't have to post a message in a fixed amount of time. You can actually read it first.

2 - All posts have an edit button for fixing posts that you realize are impossible to read.

3 - Other people take the time to read through their posts and make sure they make sense for the benefit of those reading them. Isn't it common courtesy to do the same?

No one expects posts to be perfect. It is an informal medium. However, just a little work for the poster can save hundred of readers effort.
    True on all counts!!! :yesway:
    In addition... (and FWIW) some folks here really need to use a spell-checking device!!! There's a built-in spell check on this forum, Firefox browser has a very nice spell-checker, and finally there's a free spell-checker for Explorer called "IESpell" which is available here: ieSpell - Spell Checker add-on for Internet Explorer
    I myself am not the best speller in the world and that's exactly why I use a spell-checker!!! :dunno:
    :cheers:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also on a forum people have many different levels of education. I just don't see a need to speak down to others. IMHO

In my experience, it isn't an issue with education, it is an issue with consideration. Just like if you bother taking carts back to the cart corral or not. It takes a little more time, but makes things better for everyone.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Also on a forum people have many different levels of education. I just don't see a need to speak down to others. IMHO

That's true, my post was not meant to "speak down" to anyone.
    Everyone that has graduated 6th grade has learned that a sentence
    begins with a capital letter and ends with a period or question mark.
    This is not speaking down to anyone.
    The posts I'm referring to have no punctuation or capital letters yet
    most words are spelled correctly.
    Many of these posters have sig lines with punctuation.
    Many of these posters have member names, entered by them, using capital letters.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Frankly speaking
    If someone writes in such a way that it disturbs you, that much then DON’T READ IT!
    Period. End of story.
    As to the having, time to spell check and make posts perfect in grammar, some of us post in spare moments between tasks. The time it takes to spell check and make the grammar correct, is too much time. I will when I have time gloss over the text for major problems especially in readability. Nevertheless, spell check for a message board every time and grammar check? Nope. Not going to happen. If that offends you, stop reading my posts simple as that.
    I have seen on other message boards the text nazi's take a topic and divert the OP's topic into the spell check and grammar clinic.
    BTW that's one reason I am not there anymore.
    As to why it's acceptable on a message board and not in a formal setting such as to a boss or for a school assignment, are you sitting there dressed for work? Getting paid to make it perfect? Mentally prepared for learning and education? Many bosses these days are the worst and I have had teachers that could not get past Basic English.
    This is a message board not the New York Times. This is conversational speaking.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Oh yeah and spell checkers rarely know what all the abreviations are. Alot of users don't know what all the abreviations are either and that makes reading more difficult so we should also type every word out. Just to be considerate that is.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In my experience, it isn't an issue with education, it is an issue with consideration. Just like if you bother taking carts back to the cart corral or not. It takes a little more time, but makes things better for everyone.
    :+1:

Please let my apologize for my sloppy grammar and punctuation. I proof read, spell check and edit to try make my posts legible. Obviously, some folks don't do this.

A one sentence post makes little difference. When you put two or more together, it gets to be a real pain in the ass to read. It also makes you wonder if it is worth it to waist your time ciphering a post from one who has little regard for the reader.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Oh yeah and spell checkers rarely know what all the abreviations are. Alot of users don't know what all the abreviations are either and that makes reading more difficult so we should also type every word out. Just to be considerate that is.

They tell you that "alot" isn't a word. :laugh: Actually... it is a word. It's a small town in India. Forgive me..... this is one of my pet peeves. It's "a lot".... two words. It's probably the single most frequent spelling error that I see EVERYWHERE!!! ;) OK.... I'm done now. Gotta go take my meds.!!! :D

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Mr. Hoppes you are correct. This board isn't as important as my job and why I don't try and perfect my spelling, grammar, etc. What I do try to do is type in sentences. This is so that others will understand what I'm trying to communicate to them.

I try to do this also because I respect the other people on here enough to not waste their time trying to figure out what I'm communicating to them. Also, I respect myself enough to try and make my communications understandable.

As I have said before, respectfully communicate to somebody their writing is hard for you to understand. Many times people just are not aware that what they are doing makes it hard on others and they make easy fixes. Sometimes they don't and I'm ok with them not changing. It just means I'm going to stop trying to understand what they're saying and ignore them.

That in and of itself is a travesty considering the purpose of this board is to share and communicate efficiently.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    They tell you that "alot" isn't a word. :laugh: Actually... it is a word. It's a small town in India. Forgive me..... this is one of my pet peeves. It's "a lot".... two words. It's probably the single most frequent spelling error that I see EVERYWHERE!!! ;) OK.... I'm done now. Gotta go take my meds.!!! :D

Funny the spell checker passed it ! :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom