What gun are you fond of that you may or may not own?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Nothing else close in contention: my grandads model 12 Winchester. It was what I grew up thinking a shotgun was and now I claim somewhere around 2 dozen of them and a bunch more 97's. Sorry guys but I live in the past...
    I have my dad‘s 97. Both them and the 12s are good shotguns.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am. I have that M77 and the only gun my wife ever bought me -and 1187 lefty.
    I recently acquired a lefty Savage in 30-'06 that I haven't even shot yet and I also have my Browning T bolt but everything else I have is wrong handed. So many wrong handed people out there...lol

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I recently acquired a lefty Savage in 30-'06 that I haven't even shot yet and I also have my Browning T bolt but everything else I have is wrong handed. So many wrong handed people out there...lol
    I bought the Ruger because they didn't charge extra for the favor. I think the Remington was an extra $50.00. My bows have all cost more.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I bought the Ruger because they didn't charge extra for the favor. I think the Remington was an extra $50.00. My bows have all cost more.
    I have a Ben Pearson that I bought back in the 80's second hand. It was actually cheaper because it was a lefty. Higher to purchase with less of a resell, what a racket. I actually am ambidextrous but still left eye dominate. And I also have sex daily, er I mean dyslexia. What a mess...

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have had a mini 30 for about 20 years. It works fine. What problems are you having with yours?
    Nothing major. Mainly the scope rings Ruger provided were garbage. It took me a while to figure out why my point of zero shifted every range session.
    Aside from that, I find in a fully loaded mag the bolt is very stiff to close. I think the mag springs are too tight.
    It's a really fun rifle. I got it for deer hunting, and because I wanted a 762x39 auto loader with a good optic mounting solution.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Ok. I'll admit it.
    I bought a mini 30 several years ago because rifle cartridges were just legal for deer hunting in IN and I really didn't know any better. At this point I've spent so much time trying to make it work I kind of like it.
    I know the feeling, kinda. I had a mini-14 that I really liked the idea of, but it could barely keep 5 rounds on a paper plate at 50 yards. Made me sad, but after putting way too much money and effort into trying to make it better, I finally let it go. It was a pretty little thing, was reliable and handled well. Part of me still misses it, but like any abusive relationship I'm better off without it.

I know where you can get a really nice mark three lol the Mark fours are overrated and I’ve never been as accurate as the Mark threes for me

My MkIV is the equal of my MkII for mechanical accuracy, but I had to work over both magazines by hand and replace all the action parts with Volquartsen stuff to get it reliable and shootable. Out of the box it wouldn't feed more than 3 or 4 rounds in a row. My MkII has been flawless from day 1, has a much better factory trigger, and is more reliable than any semi-auto rimfire gun has a right to be. Honestly, I think the heel mag release holds the mags more firmly and consistently and contributes to reliability.

When it comes to cleaning I don't mind the takedown procedure for the MKII at all. Once you understand how it works and know the proper sequence and orientation to keep the hammer strut where it needs to be, you can do it in a matter of seconds. Where I have come to appreciate the MKIV is that I have multiple uppers (if you watch Volquartsen's site, they often have take-off uppers on clearance for $40 or less), and the simplified takedown process makes them really easy to swap out at the range...especially because you don't have to press the upper loose from the lower.

If it wasn't for wanting a threaded suppressor host, I probably never would have bought the MkIV, and would have been completely satisfied with my MkII. As it is, I like both, for different reasons.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Guess if I had to pick one it would be the Nylon 66. It was the first gun I bought as soon as legally able to buy one. Shot many squirrels with it. Or my Springfield 1911 that I carried for 20 years. But then maybe the Thompson Hawken .50 that is second to
    the Nylon 66 with game taken.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Guns I am fond of that I own? Any of the half dozen S&W wheel guns that I inherited from my Dad including his two duty pistols.
    Guns I am fond of that I don't own? A BYF P08 Luger and a Marlin 1894 in .41 Magnum which are both really salty, price wise these days.
    Not a Marlin guy at all, but thats a ****ing Win Sir.
    I have a 3 screw in 41, never have shot it.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I am extremely enamored with the Colt 1903 pocket hammerless, and I'm disappointed that I haven't managed to find a shooter grade for a non insane price.

The 1903 was right there for such a long period of American and European civilian shooting history, probably more so that the 1911. For a good 40 or 50 years, if someone was getting shot over a bootlegging feud or organized crime racket or for being a high ranking Nazi officer, it was probably done with a 1903. They're the CCW gun from before CCW existed. Bummer that they haven't been reproduced like the 1911.
    I lusted for one of those forever. A friend of mine got one in a trade
    I was sitting under an airplane inspecting the landing gear and he walked to me and handed me a gun rug with a big smile on his face.
    It was a 1908 model (.380), but my search had ended.
    Got it for a good price too. What a friend

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpeg
      IMG_0494.jpeg
      456.5 KB · Views: 14

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    In my 50 years of enjoying guns I miss the cheep ol days. Ruger security sixes i stainless for $150, Ruger 10/22s or Mark two or three's for $50, you just couldn't beat the prices back then. The one gun I had and I always think about when I think back of what I'd like to have again was a High Standard Sentinel Mark 4 it wasn't anything special but I miss that gun. Just thought about my first pellet gun as a boy in the 70's, Daisy 300. Man I wish I could find another one of those.

Attachments

• Daisy 300.jpg
      Daisy 300.jpg
      283.7 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A couple guns I'm really fond of but don't have are a 6" S&W 686 in .357mag, S&W 617 6" .22, Ruger Bearcat and Browning lever action .22 and Ruger P90. Those are some of the first guns I learned to shoot with when dad started taking me to the range in the afternoon following some morning rabbit hunts.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Nothing major. Mainly the scope rings Ruger provided were garbage. It took me a while to figure out why my point of zero shifted every range session.
    Aside from that, I find in a fully loaded mag the bolt is very stiff to close. I think the mag springs are too tight.
    It's a really fun rifle. I got it for deer hunting, and because I wanted a 762x39 auto loader with a good optic mounting solution.
    Ruger rings are garbage. These came with my 77/44 and I lapped the :poop: out of them with a 1" steel bar. This is out of the box.

rugerrings.jpg

Top Bottom