• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Did a quick search and didn't find an answer. Just thinking about hunting this year and if using a GPS would be the way to go to mark stands, good areas, where I parked, etc. The marketing and ads make it sound like the perfect solution...but a few downloaded apps I tried leave a lot to be desired)

So wondering those that do what do you use? Your phone (favorite App for this???) or a stand alone GPS (like a Garmin Montana or wrist one??)

What do you guys use? Thanks in advance.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm old school and don't use a gps. My buddy bought one but when you're out scouting and doing all the pre-hunt work, you tend to get to know the area pretty well. Once I find a good tree to hang or climb, I either mark it with a reflective thumb tac or take off a half dollar size of bark exposing the tree. The white of the tree reflects very well in the dark and stands out during day light hours.

I remember him using it to mark a few spots but never actually used it to get back to those trees. I can't remember what brand he uses. I do know it collects dust in his bag now.

I do have topo maps and I carry one with me just in case I do get lost. Time in the woods is so worth it. You just can't beat it IMO.

Good luck this season.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I use an old Garmin eTrex Legend, I don't hunt with it; but I do use it for tracking routes, and pace and can load it up to track week to week and month to month mileage from my hiking. I can also use it to mark places I want to return to for photos, load the data into my computer and use it to match the photos time info from my camera to the time info from the GPS, so when I return to an area, I pull up a map see where I've been and if there's something I want to go retake or if I want to push to something new. I can put it into google earth and do 2d overview or 3D maps and then take screen shots to share with peers. I've also got my display fine tuned to show my distance traveled and current GPS coordinates in UTM format should they need to be relayed; with all the people that go missing or get injured far from the road, to me that's a safety thing being able to effectively give my position in a manner that first responders can use to locate me in time of emergency.

I've got current topo maps on it, it's fine for navigating with in a clearly defined state park where if I were to get off trail and thoroughly turned around and disoriented I could pick a heading and be at a park boundary in under 2 hours and to a main road in under 3. Many of the places I hike it even has a portion of the trails drawn on it Start getting into the larger state forest and wildlife ares, or HNF, and I'm not going to be off wandering anywhere without a detailed printed map.

It certainly has it's uses, but at least my older unit, is not yet able to replace paper maps for all needs. Even in the state parks, except the ones I truly know like the back of my hand, I still grab a paper trail map just in case. But they really do shine in the logging and data side of things.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've got a couple year old eTrex with Topo Maps on it. I don't always refer to it while I'm out, but I'll turn it on and make a waypoint at my truck or trail head, just in case.

It is nice to be able to waypoint any cool things found or good hunting spots, etc. Then pull up on the PC and see if your long meandering hike could be done better from a different entry point.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If you cant remember where you parked without a GPS you are getting too old to drive. :D

When you are hiking a couple miles through the woods without any trails and coming out other than where you went in, you can get turned around, even with good maps. Haven't had to use it yet, but I see it as very cheap insurance for something that otherwise might be a major inconvenience.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I saw this app and it sounded great...but said IN wasn't one of the 11 supported states? I didn't want to pay for it not knowing how much help it would be here. Insights?

You mean the -

View public land boundaries and big-game hunt units in 11 states: AZ, CA, CO, ID, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA, and WY. ??

It works fine in Indiana. Might not show you "public land boundaries" and we don't have any "big-game hunt units".

Top Bottom