• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've changed my mind on building. As I look around, I can better get exactly what I want by building, and a buddy has offered the use of his tools and expertise to help me get her done.

Not only can I get exactly what I want, I'll know how to maintain and repair the gun, priceless knowledge.

And, it'll be fun :)

Now, I gotta figure what parts to buy, and from who... seems to be an awful lot of choices LOL

That was my thoughts as well. Still stuck on the last part. I think I'm going for a 20" Del-Ton with A2 Upper for a stock iron sight rifle to start with. That only adds $17 for the better grip and $10 for the upper with a useful back sight.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Now, I gotta figure what parts to buy, and from who... seems to be an awful lot of choices LOL

THIS is the rub. Whatever money you just saved by building you will pay out in time spent researching. Good luck Joe! :D

(the research is part of the fun though ;))

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've changed my mind on building. As I look around, I can better get exactly what I want by building, and a buddy has offered the use of his tools and expertise to help me get her done.

Not only can I get exactly what I want, I'll know how to maintain and repair the gun, priceless knowledge.

And, it'll be fun :)

Joe,
    I was in the same boat last fall. I wanted an AR15 (another one) but I wanted to build it. My problem was, there were no "build parties" in my area, and I did not know anyone close that was willing to help.

I went searching on-line, and found this:

Assembling your own stripped AR-15 lower -- 56k killer

It may look intimidating at first, but with no further instruction, I finished assembling a stripped lower receiver in no more than 45 minutes by myself! No special tools required, just a small hammer and punch.

The upper was a little more involved, but not much.

I bought a barreled upper from Welcome to DEZ Arms, Inc.

and found help to assemble it to the upper I put together. It was not NEARLY as difficult as I imagined, though you would be advised to have use of proper tools for the upper. (Vise block)

This rifle runs flawlessly, and is as accurate as I am!

You'll really enjoy building your own. You'll understand a LOT more about how your rifle operates, and it's just a HUGE source of pride to know that you actually built the rifle.

boyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I bought my DPMS 5.56 at a gun show for ~$635. It included case, 2 mags, and cleaning kit. Bought from ZX Guns. They go to most of the larger gun shows in IN.

at11kansan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Indy
    I bought a Olympic arms K-15 with the 16" bull barrel then popped a tactical scope on it. It's a real accurate weapon. Cost $680.00 at Bradis guns in Camby, In. Ordered the scope thru Cheaper than Dirt $79.00. I'm real happy with it.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    DSArms has uppers for cheap right now $285 incl shipping.

im having a hard time selling my full DSArms rifle for $800.. which i dont really understand why.. ha. its 100 more than a subpar rifle and you can have it right now.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    I'm currently in the same boat as I have black rifle disease pretty bad.
    I notice many of the manufacturers offer 1:9 twist barrels as opposed to 1:7.
    Does this make a huge difference in shooting the more commonly available rounds?

I'm having a tough enough time justifying this project to the ol' ball and chain, so if I can go with the more common and lower cost 1:9 barrels that are on offer then all the better.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm currently in the same boat as I have black rifle disease pretty bad.
    I notice many of the manufacturers offer 1:9 twist barrels as opposed to 1:7.
    Does this make a huge difference in shooting the more commonly available rounds?

I'm having a tough enough time justifying this project to the ol' ball and chain, so if I can go with the more common and lower cost 1:9 barrels that are on offer then all the better.

A 1:9 barrel is a nice "in between" twist barrel that will allow you to shoot a wide range of .224 projectiles. Most common are the 55gr FMJ, 62gr SS109 "pennetrator", and some 69 gr hunting or personal defense ammo. Some 1:9's will shoot lighter than 55gr bullets ok, and some will shoot heavier than 69 gr bullets ok. Mine don't seem to like stuff heavier than 69 grains, but that could also just be that I haven't found the right load yet.

At either end those are more specialized rounds and are usually also more what folks hand load for a specific purpose (varmit, target, etc.).

You really won't go wrong with a 1:9 bbl unless you are dead set on a milspec 1:7 (or 1:12 for that matter). In which case, some 1:7 bbls don't shoot the M193 (55gr FMJ) as well, and the 1:12 won't shoot the 62gr and longer bullets as well.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    West of Louisville
    +1 for DoubleStar and S&W (CDNN). You'll get hundreds of opinions and some will reference a chart someone put together. For the typical user since there isn't a civil war or an evasion going on there are a lot of decent choices out there that won't break the bank.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    How are the S&W M&P15 ARs? The CDNN prices seem too good to be true.
    The optic ready version sounds like a good basis for SHTF gun. Then again I would like to be assured that a weapon like that is reliable and with so many armorers pumping out AR based weapons it's difficult to spot the difference between them all.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    S&W is the best bet at $599 right now.

FWIW 250 yards isn't jack for any AR or AK... Not sure who told you otherwise, but 250 yards for rifle in .223 or 7.62x39 is not anything special.

Fastmover: CDNN bought thousands of the S&W and S&W is offering $100 rebate. $599 is the net, after you do the $100 mail in rebate. Actual upfront cost is $699 from cdnn.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Bradis /OLY 16in ,collaspable stock,A-2upper,Pre-ban around $650 .Link here on sight 1/9 twist should be good for 50-62 gr bullets 5.56 this while shoot booth mil/civ ammo(5.56/223)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    How are the S&W M&P15 ARs? The CDNN prices seem too good to be true.
    The optic ready version sounds like a good basis for SHTF gun. Then again I would like to be assured that a weapon like that is reliable and with so many armorers pumping out AR based weapons it's difficult to spot the difference between them all.

I like mine! :D She runs like a top. :ar15:

DSC06770.jpg

I think the S&W is a great AR, and at that price very hard to pass up. The OR makes a great platform for a red-dot or other optic, especially if you aren't wanting to always have a front sight co-witness to deal with. The gas block is at the same height as the reciever, making adding a buis a breeze as well.

Top Bottom