• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    By "good" I mean goes bang, and is reasonably accurate out to 250 yards... if I can even still see a target that far.

I have zero interest in rails, scopes, lasers, optic sights, can openers, chain saw attachments, verticle forearm grips, or whatever else strange things people do to turn a 7 pound rifle into a 30 pound backbreaker :D

I do not care about looks, fine finishes, or vanity. Merely function. I am not at all enamored of the heavier barrels on the newer AR15s I see in the store. I do want the ability to use both 5.56 and .223 ammo, which are apparently different enough that they do not both function in all guns.

I really am just looking for a functional, basic battle rifle, just like the plain jane weapons that served me just fine for a decade.

I've also considered building my own, but do not wish to spend months scrounging parts, do not have a clue as to how to build one (though this would be a mighty useful thing to learn at some point,) do not have whatever tools I'd need, and do not know that I could build a decent one for this cost.

I do believe I can get Olympic ARs for under this, and have a line on a "new" Century AR for this cost. Century gives me the willies in some respects, but to the nekkid eye this one looks exactly like the ones I carried so far as build quality goes. Everything looks to be tight and straight, IOW.

The other alternative is an AK, but I'm not necessarily a fan. Especially hate the sights.

Do prefer to purchase this one new, rather than from a private party. Frankly, you just never know what has been done to them, and folks do so many things to their ARs nowadays...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In your case, Joe, it will be cheaper to buy than build, so save yourself the hassle.

If you could bump your budget by a Franklin, I'd grab this Spikes:

ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5LE2] - $809.95 : Spikes Tactical

You get the softer shooting characteristics of a mid-length, which are also known to be uber reliable. You also get a 1:7 twist, which is tough to find on most inexpensive commercial guns. You also get all the "proper" reliability parts like a staked carrier key and MPI tested guts.

Or save $10 and go carbine-length for $799.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    Good info! The scrounging and trading for parts is something that sounds like fun to me. Prolly a dumb question but has anyone here ever built an AR piecemeal? I don't mean, "I got the CMMG lower from Bud's and a Spike's upper from Rajo's and snapped them together. " Has anyone here done it one piece at a time? How did that work out?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Seems like a Del-Ton kit makes more financial sense than piecemeal, unless you get a great deal on all parts. That was the way I am planning on finishing the two stripped lowers that I have had in the safe since the group buy. Just not sure which configuration I need to get.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Early this year at one of the Indy shows, my son found ZX Guns an bought a brand new lower, complete for 199.00....later at Ft. Wayne ZX was selling them for 189.00.
    Then he walked about 60 ft. an bought a used complete upper A2 with a M16 bolt, I believe these were either former military or LEO...the guy had a bunch an this one was 300.00. Its shoots perfect an was just under 500.00.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'll put in a +1 for both the M&P 15 deal and for the Del-ton deal as I have one of each. Both are great shooters.

In fact, I'm tempted to do another 20" delton build.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 20" Rifle Kit

with a spikes lower from aim:

Spikes Tactical Gen 1.5 .223/5.56 Receiver

If you find an FFL buddy to get you the lower, you're probably talking less than $110 for a good quality stripped lower, and $465 for the upper.

$575 for a complete AR minus mags. Not too shabby.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    By "good" I mean goes bang, and is reasonably accurate out to 250 yards... if I can even still see a target that far.

I have zero interest in rails, scopes, lasers, optic sights, can openers, chain saw attachments, verticle forearm grips, or whatever else strange things people do to turn a 7 pound rifle into a 30 pound backbreaker :D

I do not care about looks, fine finishes, or vanity. Merely function. I am not at all enamored of the heavier barrels on the newer AR15s I see in the store. I do want the ability to use both 5.56 and .223 ammo, which are apparently different enough that they do not both function in all guns.

I really am just looking for a functional, basic battle rifle, just like the plain jane weapons that served me just fine for a decade.

I've also considered building my own, but do not wish to spend months scrounging parts, do not have a clue as to how to build one (though this would be a mighty useful thing to learn at some point,) do not have whatever tools I'd need, and do not know that I could build a decent one for this cost.

I do believe I can get Olympic ARs for under this, and have a line on a "new" Century AR for this cost. Century gives me the willies in some respects, but to the nekkid eye this one looks exactly like the ones I carried so far as build quality goes. Everything looks to be tight and straight, IOW.

The other alternative is an AK, but I'm not necessarily a fan. Especially hate the sights.

Do prefer to purchase this one new, rather than from a private party. Frankly, you just never know what has been done to them, and folks do so many things to their ARs nowadays...

I haven't caught the dreaded Black Rifle Disease yet... but this sounds a lot like the kind of criteria I'd use as well.... great question!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I bought a $65 stripped lower from Rguns (terrible reputation, but I got lucky). You can get a rifle kit to complete the lower from Del Ton for $465, which comes to $530, not including FFL and shipping. Even with that it would still come in under $600, and Del Ton has a great rep.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Personally I would buy either a stripped lower and LPK and then a stock of my choosing or a complete lower and then mail order an upper from someone like PKFirearms....

lower $100+
    lpk $65+
    stock $40+

complete lower $250+

upper $450+

I have completed many ARs this way, usually from stripped lowers and they cost from $600- $750 depending on the exact parts chosen and a few I paid extra during the Obama scare.....? That still beat the $1k prices in the shops at the time.

My last (2) DoubleStar lowers were $100 ea, RRA lpks @ $60 ea. and a couple of used M4 stock sets for $80 shipped.... total of $200 per lower assembled by me and my son.

Uppers were $465 shipped, so $665 complete rifles, only the stock sets were used, actually taken from new ARs that were replaced w/ Magpul stock sets by the seller.

Double Star lowers:

dslowers001.jpg

And always have future projects in process: (a few were family and friends builds)

lowers002.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've changed my mind on building. As I look around, I can better get exactly what I want by building, and a buddy has offered the use of his tools and expertise to help me get her done.

Not only can I get exactly what I want, I'll know how to maintain and repair the gun, priceless knowledge.

And, it'll be fun :)

Now, I gotta figure what parts to buy, and from who... seems to be an awful lot of choices LOL

Top Bottom