• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've got another project coming in yet a 10.5" 7.62x39 AR. Now my sister noticed i was building it because the family likes me to keep them posted. Anyway her birthday is coming up and she wants it lol. I'll probably give it to her because it's what I do. Nothing beats giving firearms away as gifts.

Ha, yeah mines a 7.62x39 project too, finally jumped for a Bren 2

givings away guns as gifts is pretty cool. Gave one to a friend in January as a late Christmas gift. Looked like a kid and Santa left him with all he wanted and then some

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ha, yeah mines a 7.62x39 project too, finally jumped for a Bren 2

givings away guns as gifts is pretty cool. Gave one to a friend in January as a late Christmas gift. Looked like a kid and Santa left him with all he wanted and then some

I've never gotten a frown from anyone I've given a firearm too. :)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have been busy restoring a 1895 Chilean Mauser that was modified to 7.62 NATO.

This is one of the Loewe arsenal in Berlin manufactured ones and boy did those Germans know how to produce a firearm.

This one is odd in that it was re-chambered but there are no import marks. The time frame for re-chambering and the 1968 gun reform act, one would expect firearms of this era to have been import marked to be brought into the US.

Having been through a major refit like the re-chambering, it is a non-matching example and it has been neglected.

It will be in full military configuration including a sling when complete.

I plan to relegate it to shooting the 7.62 NATO German made plastic bullets. With the 28.5 inch barrel it should send those 10gr plastic projectiles screaming on their way.

Everything about this rifle says 'quality', even the wood screws are a work of art.

It has some cosmetic issues but the bulk of the problem is wood salt damage under the stock.

I will do the 'triple S' on the stock, strip, steam and seal (with tung oil). Notice there is no sanding mentioned. I have found the best way to put the grain back in place after steaming is medium steel wool soaked in boiled linseed oil. I have tried to use tung for this process but it tends to dry too fast. After working it over rubbing with the grain, wipe it down and retouch any 'needy' areas. After the final wipe, let it rest overnight. Buff it with clean med steel wool in the morning and start the tung oil. For military applications 1 or 2 coats is all that is required

The metal is all gone over by hand with a fine stainless steel wire brush, the kind you get in the detail kits sold at Harbor Freight. It is the tips of the wires that provide the action we seek so 'mashing the brush down' for more effect is an error. Lightly brushing at high speed repetition with a 15-20 degree change in direction will clean out the salt pits without removing metal or even altering original mill marks. The pit will remain but it is minimized by the bluing and it will not get worse if the stock is treated both inside and out as mentioned above.

I keep at least 2 sets of dental picks, one newer and very sharp and an older, worn, rounded off set. The older set is used for the stock inlet cleaning as well as joints and groves on the metal. The newer ones are for the lettering on the metal. What a difference there is when a little time is taken to clean out all the lettering. And for all you who never consider doing this kind of undertaking, you would be surprised how much different a firearm will look if you would just use a pick the clean out the heads of all the screws on any firearm. Just remember to start in the middle and work back and forth gently as to not have the pick come flying out under pressure scratching either wood or metal finish.

Another tip is if your rifle has abused butt plate screws but the rest of the firearm looks great: clean the head of the screw as mentioned, buff the head slightly until it looks 'good', grab it with a pair of hemostats and heat it for a few seconds with a propane torch and immediately dunk it into some standard automatic transmission fluid (not the synthetic type). It will turn the prettiest blue you will have seen and only takes a minimum of effort.

I have used the word 'restore' when I am really just trying to stabilize and rejuvenate the weapon. The bore is immaculate and if it shoot near as well as I am hoping it will be my new 'damn possum and coon' gun.

It will be of no use to DaddyiusMaximus as it will NOT have a scope, but even with the rear sight mounted on the barrel and not the receiver it has a 25.5 inch sight radius. Even old eyes can hit a possum or coon at 100 yards...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    #2 of the projects in process currently.

2nd of the 1911's in 10mm I am doing with AllenM.
    Business end...:)
    XAU2hAR.jpg

zqpFFfS.jpg

Steel frame and stainless slide.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    #2 of the projects in process currently.

2nd of the 1911's in 10mm I am doing with AllenM.
    Business end...:)
    XAU2hAR.jpg

zqpFFfS.jpg

Steel frame and stainless slide.

Looks good quality, basically looks like RemSports/DW's stuff. I've never tried Fusion before, I know the owner doesn't get a lot of respect but most people don't have negative reviews of the products. No frontstrap treatment?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Still working normal hours, so not much extra time on my hands. I have been working on restoring on old No.4 Enfield. The wood is all that is left to do, but it is a slow process to do it right. I have done quite a bit of deep cleaning on some of my firearms. Also refurbished several surplus AR magaziness with new springs and followers.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been lazy this week. weather is kinda crappy. finally picked up and put away tools in the garage that have been scattered around since September.

i'm still working, 1 week off, 1 week on, and no overtime. looks like were going back to all hands on deck (mechanics & drivers) next week.

spent some time reorganizing in my reloading room, cleared out a space to hang gun belts, pistol bags, and AR mag bags I use to transport mags/loaders/ect to matches.
    repurposed some webbing and snap clips I had laying around to attach the mag bags to my range bag for transport.

:cheers:

Attachments

• DSCF4673.jpg
      DSCF4673.jpg
      806 KB · Views: 16
    • DSCF4674.jpg
      DSCF4674.jpg
      834.2 KB · Views: 15

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm still working my job a little being furloughed but I was putting quite a few hours into my home reno (building two bathroom vanities and tiling tub/shower and walk in shower). I was making good progress until I dropped a full sheet of plywood (60 lbs) on my foot edge first from about 3 feet up.

Now I'm laid up working on getting the swelling down this weekend so I can start some therapy on it Monday.

So...I can finally break away from that project and spend some time reloading! :)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    ive been lazy this week. weather is kinda crappy. finally picked up and put away tools in the garage that have been scattered around since September.

i'm still working, 1 week off, 1 week on, and no overtime. looks like were going back to all hands on deck (mechanics & drivers) next week.

spent some time reorganizing in my reloading room, cleared out a space to hang gun belts, pistol bags, and AR mag bags I use to transport mags/loaders/ect to matches.
    repurposed some webbing and snap clips I had laying around to attach the mag bags to my range bag for transport.

:cheers:

You're very well-organized ..... looks great ! :yesway:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Blasted off the hard chrome and coated the slides on two of my 43X pistols with moly resin. They came out a bit flatter than I'd like but they look a lot better than the hard chrome did.

hi3uviWh.jpg

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Got my pistol finished today, with some lessons learned. :):
    Lesson 1, spare parts are good. Lesson 2, flying roll pins are hard to recover. Lesson 3, if pins don't fit in holes, it's probably the cheap hardware you bought and not the receiver.
    Worked out pretty well other wise. This was a PSA pistol kit I'd bought a couple years ago and stashed for a rainy day. It rained today. The lower is an Anderson, of course, with PSA parts, MOE handle and guard and Shockwave Blade. The upper is some obnoxious looking thing I bought at the 1500 cause it looked cool. No idea what it is, I'm curious about the blue line anodized along the top left. The Shockwave Blade I'm not so sure about. It came with the kit but I think I'm gonna toss it and get an SBA3.
    pistola.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Got my ammo dump organized, mostly. Got rid of some misc ammo I didn’t want/need. Still more to rehome. Other projects too numerous and scattered to go into.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks good quality, basically looks like RemSports/DW's stuff. I've never tried Fusion before, I know the owner doesn't get a lot of respect but most people don't have negative reviews of the products. No frontstrap treatment?

Not yet. I might just use the Pearce enhancements I like.
    Never an issue with Fusion but I have never had to deal with them about bad parts before either.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    I am working on finishing my T-91 clone rifle and fixing up a CETME C that someone messed up. I also have an uzi kit and PPs-43 kit to build. Plenty to keep me busy for the time being.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Waiting for warmer weather to apply polyurethane to my savage 311 shotgun stock. Did 2 coats of minwax gunstock stain and looks good so far. Once the metal comes back from rebluing will probaby send my cz82 for the same.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I picked up a Ruger American Rimfire for the wife. I'm in the process of getting the scope mounted. After that, she wants to change the color of the stock. So once it warms up, I'll be painting it.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    6xc waited all winter for the rifle to come back from my smith .Did the load development twice one with 115 DTAC,Then again with 115 Berger VLD.I am fetting 3130 with the Vld
    .300 groups at 100 yards.40.1 grains of H4350.
    Qrv8o1QYdP17aCQIHbnuxZSNfYIz_TMwEH9i7kQRACYuSKPnU8r1_nRtSiOuMOkV0BV6sNBuseRowzhodVnvdmFk2WTx10bpcdcYgFPpCdRYeC4b4MJ_zVu8VBKEXqFqeJ5BHRDJ9PB88RSp1aZle9pIUze_-nDU9WbWWaEQn5f7BIGPsFdA1mK4jpkxoBd72npA0oXz6ie8VqAhj5fGjcUDCP6Xq-bEDjikkRzJRKF1VMxKfxPcT7OuiTrgEoQ6I85CaapQZiTgE_Eiiar-kpLID0mSaQgqTxU4qFpAqAKddgj3uY2Fm10rYzzK1iz7wYZPEeJucCl-37GU9OCY3VSm3QVOSOSQdIMsRFNkmVeWXL1qLJATjFFZ8IGznkk94NqpSvsa4rJx_uSMyUuYCvoJHX8UtLWt9uhpGMzofZB20_K56MSrkSJg4ek537_BNe-YYjg_1yGC_H3TRG_cNBHfwlDKTV6sWhvpF19UjYKSU0h0xJQOwOHOo3JPevnq_4q3RT_NEXWe66iJa0umbWl8k0b1uh_SG4iOjhGOfSWVpXUJF-kNvvAvbYie0AV0IK5i6cGHDcOUxyMFJR68aNozKuRUjj9TItePzD1OmRla5FcPMT6_pU8qZoLvOCS7HPltJEhRr_29pcCabbbhSWSJQRxeUYE7hHBBxFjAbT326uotSqnoWPIcyNsd=w469-h625-no
    SEOpJh9j-EOziimXDpVihBKlaMr44faTc9yNs7uypM4ZeVkHdgJKWfNXuPCkM6svBs2j9g7kFe-rbwyO3n2volKNgzpHwBmG3mTPJmL1VJHpfrLXdpa-b-UyS_aNEva6mg2jEhBP7jV1Y4rD9Xg5QmWQNorx80ILxmmU-2LXkdezhHPLRSGEQSC57exgGEzdV3Wamfi4XQ1_mo31PaUZ3_euKlIMIdG7QDUooeXMUh7sZa6aNHdqBIWCJNI14QG9Imepom1EmEYGLJMYerzPckqwIyjKXe0uE7sp-9Uc538oqtfvFmXg4k8ZnokRDvcFwhkJZoDCwtrn8VJntoN3TZ1OJRObyriqq6em1nbJS8Gwr8f8jQAABhHElJepTKYVLxzFAKbWAOpUFQ7TH5o1FLfwxFMLI1058w-lOwS-BmoDDNg_tvovRaQNDjcKlKjI3eod9d72Sff59UukxpowGevgF16sa1ZK5Z3qrSm9B9gwdmIFM7o0L8j2uGsD3Dpa-sGyA9QIhA3tLoOhDNefTYTOL_WQWMp7O-6z-PfLkc2FsxNuHqyka9MTAZtLqgR3X88Dn0i_K1L-SkBEHAHeQcHKCql06uD3XyqQgYsxKmOYMH8B7PrQzrpWTMEoUPYtJw2s3uBajBUeMDDlCO1-P1IEOK11yLnWZGkmwFXfg6YTHkrcvOjXjkYox7Iq=w834-h625-no

Top Bottom