• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Still working normal hours Mon-Fri but definitely have some more free time on weekends so I've upped the reloading. Did some precision 6.5 creedmor and have been rolling 9mm lately. Actually saving money loading them now with the panic buying going on. Plan to start alternating all the calibers and doing 500 at a time. Once I get thru the rotation of calibers I'll start at the beginning again and do 500 more of each. Stock up on everything

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    The title is a little bit off; but I had to use something.

During this time of "Stay at Home " what firearm related projects are you working on? I thought this may be interesting.

Myself, I am in the process of making the flash holes on 5000 new LAKE CITY cases similar diameter. Once this is complete I will be chamfering the powder side of these holes.

Good luck and be safe!

Building a 300 Blackout pistol. Need to start the process to get a silencer for it but when it's all done it will be a fun one!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Well I have 2 of them. Started before the beer bug but here we are.
    2 of them actually. 1911's in 10mm

In the raw...

ough fit up.

"One" off Comp. This is from a blank.

Taking shape.

Sight cuts, flat top, ball cut are done.

Sights fit up. Ready to bring home from AllenM's

Firing pin stop is hand fit. Now we start to shape and blend. And yes I have a serious Dremel....:):
    /QUOTE]

Very nice. I note 2 different frames?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Myself I am building an NRA space gun.....I started by machining up an upper jig, milled the side charger slot myself
    No name flat sided upper, side charger by me, 20 inch barrel (shilen) white oak armerment hand gaurd and adjustable sling stop, centra rear sight and Phoenix front sight, medsa blup tube. Need to build a dedicated lower for it.

Other wise I have built a steam engine.....

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo
    The title is a little bit off; but I had to use something.

During this time of "Stay at Home " what firearm-related projects are you working on? I thought this may be interesting.

Myself, I am in the process of making the flash holes on 5000 new LAKE CITY cases similar diameter. Once this is complete I will be chamfering the powder side of these holes.

Good luck and be safe!

Honestly, I am not thinking to start a project right now, I want this COVID thing gone. I want to try a project I will be able to go into the woods for days and I like solitude when I try to achieve something. Solitude is key for me. I can start a project at home, with the kids and my wife always right at my neck. Daddy this, Husband that. Who can relate here, anyone?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've not reallyi taken on any new projects in some time, and certainly not now. What I have done in the last couple weeks is to check what I have for readiness. That means cleaning and checking, especially batteries. More specifically, specialty batteries like CR2032 CR123's, etc. So one thing I realized was that not only was I a bit short on batteries, but I also wasn't very organized with them. So, I bought this organizer pictured below from Amazon. It is water and fire resistant. I'm still short on AAA batteries (I don't have any sights that use them, but rather electronic hearing protection), so those are on order.

So basically my project is maintenance and logistics to increase readiness. I feel like I was pretty well prepped, overall, though. I don't expect to use this stuff, but then again, I didn't expect to see the situation we're in, in my wildest dreams, either. I always viewed it as insurance. I have homeowners insurance, but never, ever expect to have my house burn down.

Oh yeah, I also ordered a few more boresnakes. I have plenty of gun oil, but also a huge stash of motor oil for my vehicles, so no worries there.

Btw, don't forget to have an extra bolt or two for your AR's. Even a spring kit is a good idea, as are back-up iron sights for those rifles with electronics. Readiness can't be overemphasized, IMHO.

43OXTT7.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've not reallyi taken on any new projects in some time, and certainly not now. What I have done in the last couple weeks is to check what I have for readiness. That means cleaning and checking, especially batteries. More specifically, specialty batteries like CR2032 CR123's, etc. So one thing I realized was that not only was I a bit short on batteries, but I also wasn't very organized with them. So, I bought this organizer pictured below from Amazon. It is water and fire resistant. I'm still short on AAA batteries (I don't have any sights that use them, but rather electronic hearing protection), so those are on order.

So basically my project is maintenance and logistics to increase readiness. I feel like I was pretty well prepped, overall, though. I don't expect to use this stuff, but then again, I didn't expect to see the situation we're in, in my wildest dreams, either. I always viewed it as insurance. I have homeowners insurance, but never, ever expect to have my house burn down.

Oh yeah, I also ordered a few more boresnakes. I have plenty of gun oil, but also a huge stash of motor oil for my vehicles, so no worries there.

Btw, don't forget to have an extra bolt or two for your AR's. Even a spring kit is a good idea, as are back-up iron sights for those rifles with electronics. Readiness can't be overemphasized, IMHO.

Do batteries last a long time in storage? Or do they lose strength as they get older? I have always kept a minimum of batteries on hand thinking they would be less than optimum when I finally needed them.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    I'm one of the plus 60 types with those nasty preexisting conditions so it has been to the grocery store and back for a few weeks. As for firearm related projects i have been going through the fleet and doing an inspection,clean and lub for everyone. Have found no surprises yet but it keeps me busy and the weather here in southern Delaware is going to be range trigger time soon. Next up is to empty the gun parts closet and check my master inventory vs on hand stock....loads of fun and I'm sure to have a " I've been looking for that " moment. That battery case a poster has found looks like it could solve some of my battery stock issues, you can see at a glance what you have vs restock needs. Someone asked about battery life, when I was in the outdoor trade industry our reps would say that lithum battery could store for 10 years and had the best cold weather performance, the alkaline batteries were second best and store 5-8 years and worked well in cold weather but I always kept them inside my parka when outside. A backup project is to inventory ammo, I can already feel the weight of a 1000 round box of .45 ammo on my back right now.
    You'll be safe out there,
    Jump62
    aka Paul

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ordered a new comp last sunday for my MK IV 22/45 tactical steel gun, showed up in the mail on Wednesday.

installed the new comp on my open gun, and put the old comp on another MK IV 22/45 tactical..

ive spent more time in the past weeks, loading up match gear, unloading, and putting stuff back where it belongs, than anything else gun related. 4 matches I registered for have been cancelled...

been busy all week drywalling my basement stairs, and cleaning up the woodworking "mess" from over the winter, cutting back dead growth in the wifes flower gardens, burned up all the tree limbs, ect, unloading and spreading 80 bags of mulch.

:cheers:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well I have 2 of them. Started before the beer bug but here we are.
    2 of them actually. 1911's in 10mm

In the raw...
    53chdJL.jpg

pDiaZmz.jpg

Rough fit up.
    3lfunRn.jpg

"One" off Comp. This is from a blank.
    OtCijEN.jpg

Taking shape.
    6svjGJR.jpg

Sight cuts, flat top, ball cut are done.
    UcSQlrW.jpg

Sights fit up. Ready to bring home from AllenM's
    pA8ZXnp.jpg

Firing pin stop is hand fit. Now we start to shape and blend. And yes I have a serious Dremel....:):
    DTWnipn.jpg

Harrison Design makes some nice oversized ejectors that would get rid of any gaps.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/exact-fit-ejectors

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Sold my stock-ish 10/22, and acquired an Enoch Odin chassis for my backpack 10/22 build.

Planning on a 6in barrel, Tactical Innovations receiver, and a sidefolding brace of some kind.

Still working, as we're considered essential though..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I got my range all complete, railroad crossing mats stood on end behind a steel plate rack, one crossing mat behind my spinners and replaced all the ties in back stop.

Hauled the kids old swing set down in the creek bottoms, it'll be used for 1,2 &300 yard shooting. Have a 525 yd gong set up already.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Do batteries last a long time in storage? Or do they lose strength as they get older? I have always kept a minimum of batteries on hand thinking they would be less than optimum when I finally needed them.

Most alkalines advertise a 10 year shelf life. I'd imagine they'd keep 80% or so of a charge. CR123A's advertise something like 95% charge after 10 years on the shelf. I'll use all of them before 10 years, except probably the button batteries. For example, I've probably got 10 that go to my Aimpoint Pro or 12 for the Trijicon MRO, but they won't use but 3 in 10 years, at most. The bulk packs were as cheap as buying 3 or 4, so why not? Maybe I'll find an Ingo friend in a pinch that needs one?

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Well, with the stay-at-home stuff, I moved the reloading operation from the house to the garage (needed the space in the house for an office). Not optimal and would like to get a dedicated bench in the garage for the press and supplies.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most alkalines advertise a 10 year shelf life. I'd imagine they'd keep 80% or so of a charge. CR123A's advertise something like 95% charge after 10 years on the shelf. I'll use all of them before 10 years, except probably the button batteries. For example, I've probably got 10 that go to my Aimpoint Pro or 12 for the Trijicon MRO, but they won't use but 3 in 10 years, at most. The bulk packs were as cheap as buying 3 or 4, so why not? Maybe I'll find an Ingo friend in a pinch that needs one?

Thanks. I'll stock up on a few more.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sold my stock-ish 10/22, and acquired an Enoch Odin chassis for my backpack 10/22 build.

Planning on a 6in barrel, Tactical Innovations receiver, and a sidefolding brace of some kind.

Still working, as we're considered essential though..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i did a similar project late last year. 6” Kidd barrel, Tac Sol receiver, Kidd trigger, and Sig brace since it seemed better built than the polymer SB Tactical brace (the SB hinge system looks cleaner on the Odin than the Sig though)

i love the build so much been debating about SBRing it and selling the 2 15-22s

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I bought some new sprints for my Sccy, to take the trigger down to around 4lbs. I need to take the time to put those in.

Top Bottom