What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    --*I finally got back to the range after a jam packed June. I haven't had any live fire or meaningful dry practice since my last post here - end of May. My schedule finally cleared up and i was able to hit the range with a friend today.

Cold test was my 10 in 10 all hands at 7 yards. 8.46 but dropped a sho and two who.

I ran the friend through a few things and then did some ball & dummy and skip loading to diagnose and try and fix some issues he's having. They allowed him to see that it was him pulling shots and not the gun and when i had him hold the gun but I pressed the trigger, he saw the dot didn't jump as when he pressed. I think he is tensing his gun hand as he is pressing. Though i was unsuccessful at conveying a solution in a way to cure it.

I didn't have a lot to work on so I ran garcia dots. 27/36, with 2 being ot on the first 2 strings and then 7 dropped between 3 other dots. 5 seconds is the par from the holster.

Garcia dots shot in the order of 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 5 with 6 & 7 over 5 seconds and the last 4 under.

I ran him through the FAST and some other stuff because he was interested in being introduced to other drills and then we did a touch of rifle work. The 10 round assault course from Justin Dyal was a fun adaptation for carbine work.

I am busy next weekend but should be fairly free for the remainder of the summer to get in some work. I also should get some time with a p365xl soon which will be interesting.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    --*I finally got back to the range after a jam packed June. I haven't had any live fire or meaningful dry practice since my last post here - end of May. My schedule finally cleared up and i was able to hit the range with a friend today.

Cold test was my 10 in 10 all hands at 7 yards. 8.46 but dropped a sho and two who.

I ran the friend through a few things and then did some ball & dummy and skip loading to diagnose and try and fix some issues he's having. They allowed him to see that it was him pulling shots and not the gun and when i had him hold the gun but I pressed the trigger, he saw the dot didn't jump as when he pressed. I think he is tensing his gun hand as he is pressing. Though i was unsuccessful at conveying a solution in a way to cure it.

I didn't have a lot to work on so I ran garcia dots. 27/36, with 2 being ot on the first 2 strings and then 7 dropped between 3 other dots. 5 seconds is the par from the holster.

Garcia dots shot in the order of 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 5 with 6 & 7 over 5 seconds and the last 4 under.

I ran him through the FAST and some other stuff because he was interested in being introduced to other drills and then we did a touch of rifle work. The 10 round assault course from Justin Dyal was a fun adaptation for carbine work.

I am busy next weekend but should be fairly free for the remainder of the summer to get in some work. I also should get some time with a p365xl soon which will be interesting.
    Good to see you back. Not sure how long I will be down for. Recovery is slower than I thought. It will for sure be weeks before I can cinch a match holster down tight again.

Like your friend I throw on occasional round due to input from my firing hand, though for whatever reason it is often high left for me. I might have a solution but that remains to be seen.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Good to see you back. Not sure how long I will be down for. Recovery is slower than I thought. It will for sure be weeks before I can cinch a match holster down tight again.

Like your friend I throw on occasional round due to input from my firing hand, though for whatever reason it is often high left for me. I might have a solution but that remains to be seen.
    I don't think I'm a very good diagnostician so i just try and try to use process of elimination and throw solutions at the wall.

i can often get folks there by telling them how to do something but I'm not great at fixing issues if they build them in.

Hopefully we can get to it by he's a new enough shooter that is likely a combination of issues. I just try to get him to correct one thing at a time and build on that.

Like many, he wants to put the cart before the horse - wants to "run n gun" and shoot "fast" - despite his lack of base fundamentals. It probably doesn't help that he sees me shoot then tries to emulate that despite directions to stay on his level and work at his pace. I get it, we've all done it, but it doesn't make it easier to help him. But at least he's motivated :)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So first time back to the range since surgery. About a week and a half. Still no wearing holsters or carrying heavy gear so this session reflected that.

To go along with a recent post I started with the Presscheck No Fail Drill, sorta. I took a page out of Greg Ellifritz's book and started from closer than 25. Since I can't wear a holster yet I started from where your hands come together after the draw and subtracted half a second from the par time. I did my first run at 15 yards keeping them all in the black and averaging 1.5 seconds per presentation. Ok, we can chalk that one off. Moved back to 20 and sucked it up through 4 shots into the 8 ring running about 1.75 per presentation. I ran it once more at 20 and only let 1 get away averaging just under 2 seconds. I will start at 20 next time.

Basically after this I moved to Hwansik Kim's recoil control in depth plan from his video.
    He and Ben have been doing a lot of talking about recoil control being a function of vision and not mechanics. I am not sure if I can wrap my head around that but clearly they know more than I do so I will give it a go.

I ran doubles first, then 1 shot returns, then 1,2,3,4,5. One thing I have settled on is I do have better results when my eyes don't leave the spot I am shooting at. If I unintentionally look away or track the dot the shots open up. That being said, so far just concentrating on a small spot hasn't guaranteed good hits. I was shooting these at 10 yards and running splits of around .20.

To finish up I ran my 5 at 15 head shots shooting reactively and then with 6 remaining rounds I went to 7 and shot for the X on a B8. 5 of the 6 rounds we're at the bottom of the X ring with one straying into the 10 but touching the rest.

Not a long session, but it was almost all I could tolerate at this point on my recovery.

Last edited:

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Went to Range USA in Evansville a couple of days ago. First time at a range that wasn't a family member's back yard and first time shooting in ages. I recently changed my grip from an (unintentional) revolver style grip to a more modern aggressive grip. All of these were in between 5-7 yards. My recoil management is atrocious, but for not shooting in a while, I'm fairly happy with the groups. All shot on a Ruger SR9 9mm.

Any tips for recoil management or drills you like to run?
    PXL_20230722_014829335.jpg PXL_20230722_014811113.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Went to Range USA in Evansville a couple of days ago. First time at a range that wasn't a family member's back yard and first time shooting in ages. I recently changed my grip from an (unintentional) revolver style grip to a more modern aggressive grip. All of these were in between 5-7 yards. My recoil management is atrocious, but for not shooting in a while, I'm fairly happy with the groups. All shot on a Ruger SR9 9mm.

Any tips for recoil management or drills you like to run?

If your mechanics are already squared away see the video from Hwansik Kim in my previous post.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Opened with the Rangemaster August DOTM the Justin Dyal Double add one drill. Since I am still not able to strap on a belt and holster yet this was a good one. This is a great drill for self defense or competition as it really forces you to use the appropriate care for different shots. Starting out close and fast it is easy to let that lure you into shooting everything fast instead of adjusting and using the needed vision and press for the longer shots. I did like Tom suggested in the newsletter and used a box on this drill. It took me until the 5th run to keep them all in the black and get a 99. This is my cold run.
    PXL_20230728_213607112.MP.jpg
    Followed this up with doubles, 1 shot returns, 5 shot cadence and 15 yard reactive head shots. I have to say that things really started melting down towards the end. I don't normally sweat a lot as I like the heat, but it was 90 in the direct sun with no breeze and very high humidity. Even I started sweating from my palms and that didn't help. Oh well.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Shooting partners bailed so i got a nice little solo session in. Just ran the usual g19, dot, grip anchor.

Cold drill was the RM dotm, Double - Add One. I ended with an 88, though i kept all but one in the 10 ring. On the last string I called my first shot high right outside the 10 ring and then went over time ensuring the 2nd was a 10, thus a minus 10.

Next I ran the Gabe White Standards but with a twist from the RM newsletter. I put a hat and shirt on the target to cover the scoring zones and see how that affected the outcome.

Results were a 22.38 raw time. Four .25 second penalties and two heads that were body hits (count as misses) added another 4 seconds. Taking away the concealment bonus (2 seconds) netted a +3 seconds to my time for a total of 25.38. My normal times average between 21.xx and 22.xx. A combination of slow draws and taking a bit more time to assess. I still used aiming points, just not the kind i'm used to. The print on the t shirt and logo of the hat worked. But the head leaning forward slanted the hits a bit. People sometimes lean down so it is what it is. I am going to keep the clothes in the bag for future useage on various drills though. Maybe a drill per session with clothing covering the anatomic scoring zones.

Bills

Immediate Incapacitation

F2S

Split Bill

Naked

After this i moved on to two variants of the 20 hits drill, both with modifications in the spirit of TLG. First was the standard 3x5 20 hits (7 yards) except modified as an AMRAP drill (as many rounds as possible). First string is to simply get two solid hits on the 3x5 (don't miss but don't sandbag). That is your par. Now you you simply try and get as many hits under that par as you can and repeat until you get 20 total hits. 2.24 was my par. I was unable to get 3 clean hits under par, though i was able to get 3 shots under par several times. It took me 11 runs to get 20 hits (the same amount it generally takes in a normal run, which makes sense as i was only getting 2 hits per run anyway.) I was being lazy and taking pictures for score keeping and forgot one so it screwed up my aggregate time keeping. Next time i'll just write them down as necessary for this type of drill.

The second variant was a floating distance 20 hits using a high percentage target, an 8" circle in this case. Same as last drill you draw and get two good hits at 7 yards and that will be your par. Now every time you get two hits under par you move back a yard and if you fail to meet par or miss a shot then you move up a yard. I finished at 10 yards with a ridiculous battle at the 10 yard line. I continually put down 1.78's at the 10 then would have to move up to the 9 and get a 1.6x and went back and fourth. I actually didn't keep score for this one as well either because i had one miss and miscounted the shots over time as part of my 20 hits. So i need to actually write down results when tracking these more complex multi string drills.

After this I decided to wing 10 rounds down range at a b8 from 25. I guess it is telling of my progress when i'm disappointed in a 98. One day I'm gonna hundo and then I'll be somebody!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We used to do the shirt thing in some of the "tactical" classes. Now every so often, I would say once a month or so one of the local IDPA matches does it in a stage. I think it is definitely good to visit from time to time. I observe for many people it changes their POI. For me I

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    Rangemaster Sept. DOM Advanced Bullseye Course.

View attachment 220634
    25 yards 16.22 seconds (30 sec par) 46/50
    15 yards 6.3 seconds (15 sec par) 47/50
    7 yards 8.59 seconds (12 sec par) 100/100
    5 yards 2.78 seconds (5 sec par) 50/50
    5 yards 2.4 seconds (3 sec par) 30/30
    5 yards 1.83 seconds (2 sec par) 20/20

293/300 points, shot from the ready. 7 yard stage includes a reload.

Not bad, wish it didn't have the 2 in the white. The one from 15 was sorta an ND as I got in too much of a hurry and pressed the trigger before I was ready.
    I got the mantis blackbeard the other day so that I can dry fire under night vision without having to keep the county up all night. It's an amazing training tool

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started with the 10-10-10 all hands. This remains tough for me at 10 yards. A 9.45 cold run but only 89 points. It was a little wild.

I am really liking the Justin Dyal Double Add1 drill. It is simple, but really works a lot of what I need. It reminds me in a way of Tom Givens parrot drill so I use the same terminology of quickly, carefully, and precisely. Obviously at 2.5 yards you are shooting your pair quickly as you only have 1 second. By the time you move to 5 and get 2 seconds that is plenty of time so I switch to carefully but still a bit of quickly. At 10 to keep them in the 10 ring I need to shoot carefully as 3 seconds is plenty of time. At 20 I need to shoot precisely getting good confirmation, prep the trigger and then pull through while maintaining a good grip. On my fourth run I shot a 100 but was overtime on my second shot at 2.5 yards so had to call it a 90.
    PXL_20230804_213356597.MP.jpg

Next up was just trying to trim down the time for 5 shot strings at 10 using the down zero. Trying to use vision and grip to get my reactive time down as much as possible.

Finished up with 10 rounds to the head box at 25.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Today the shooting buddy wanted to get a few hundred rounds through his new carry gun, 43x with tlr7 sub and holosun eps carry. It was a nice setup but i could not index it well for the life of me. Double add one, no index cost me 20 in OT points for a 73. A poor run on the test. Just generally terrible shooting all around. I ran it from the ready, as I don't have a rig that will work with the light. But i could not pull it together today. In the past, i've ran the slimline glocks well but today was not the day.

The highlight was running Rabbit a few times. I was talking to him about how hard it is to catch up when you're behind the loop, processing and such, but that it's nice to have solid technical skills for consistency and efficiency because they do alot to either make up for overcome that lag. Our skill gap is such that when he is the Rabbit i can catch or beat him 9/10 times unless i have a poor draw or some other issue or go SHO draw which then makes us more even with me still generally winning.

On the other hand he got to see that when he was reacting, not only was he making more mistakes due to the pressure but that there was no way he could catch up because of the processing gap and the relatively tiny window available to act and get everything right. It is a fun thing to do with equally skilled shooters but is also beneficial to those with a greater disparity to show certain lessons. I really like it to show how bad some carry ideas are - like empty chamber or odd carry positions like small of back etc... - it's hard enough to catch up with a loaded aiwb gun, why add time unnecessarily.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Today the shooting buddy wanted to get a few hundred rounds through his new carry gun, 43x with tlr7 sub and holosun eps carry. It was a nice setup but i could not index it well for the life of me. Double add one, no index cost me 20 in OT points for a 73. A poor run on the test. Just generally terrible shooting all around. I ran it from the ready, as I don't have a rig that will work with the light. But i could not pull it together today. In the past, i've ran the slimline glocks well but today was not the day.

The highlight was running Rabbit a few times. I was talking to him about how hard it is to catch up when you're behind the loop, processing and such, but that it's nice to have solid technical skills for consistency and efficiency because they do alot to either make up for overcome that lag. Our skill gap is such that when he is the Rabbit i can catch or beat him 9/10 times unless i have a poor draw or some other issue or go SHO draw which then makes us more even with me still generally winning.

On the other hand he got to see that when he was reacting, not only was he making more mistakes due to the pressure but that there was no way he could catch up because of the processing gap and the relatively tiny window available to act and get everything right. It is a fun thing to do with equally skilled shooters but is also beneficial to those with a greater disparity to show certain lessons. I really like it to show how bad some carry ideas are - like empty chamber or odd carry positions like small of back etc... - it's hard enough to catch up with a loaded aiwb gun, why add time unnecessarily.
    I miss having a training partner sometimes but it has to be a good fit. A previous partner, who I like a lot, just didn't provide enough challenge. It was like I was teaching every session instead of working to improve. No offense to him. My first USPSA mentor was good for me as he knew the rules and was a very good shooter. Since he got older and had to have both knee replaced we don't get out as often together. I am always on the lookout for another.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I miss having a training partner sometimes but it has to be a good fit. A previous partner, who I like a lot, just didn't provide enough challenge. It was like I was teaching every session instead of working to improve. No offense to him. My first USPSA mentor was good for me as he knew the rules and was a very good shooter. Since he got older and had to have both knee replaced we don't get out as often together. I am always on the lookout for another.
    It is certainly that way with nearly all of my range companions. But i am happy to be in teach mode, with the hope that they eventually get skilled enough to provide challenge. There just aren't many skilled shooters out there outside of match goer's etc...my uspsa mentor was so much better than me at the time (6 division M) that it was the inverse - I learned a ton but he wasn't gaining much. Hard to find evenly matched folks once you do find skilled folks within reasonable driving distances. Hell, at my range I'm the only person who owns a timer or target stands. The rest of them staple walmart targets to pallets and blast away at 7 feet...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    IDPA State match coming up this weekend. I shot my first match in about a month yesterday to sorta see where my recovery from surgery has set my limits. I did my best not to run. Surprisingly that didn't affect my raw time much. I will be trying to alternate nights of dry fire and live fire this week in prep. Tonight was live fire.

I started again with the Justin Dyal Double Add 1 drill for a box worth of ammo this time using a 3X5 card and a simple pass fail. I did not pass any of the 5 attempts but all were good for time and close on hits. I am still learning from this one.

Worked 7 yard doubles for a box after that. Averaged .19 splits and still managed to throw a few out of the down zero. Still working the big 2, grip and vision.

Speaking of vision I went to 1 shot transitions. I do these 2 ways. With 2 IDPA (or USPSA or whatever) targets type 1 is aimed in and on the peep you snap your vision to the other target allow the pistol to arrive and break the shot. Type 2 is you aim in, break the shot and then snap your eyes to the other target and find your spot without firing. That dry aim really allows you to see what you might have been doing right or wrong on the live one more clearly.

I finished up my 6 remaining rounds with a 7 yard one hole drill. It was a fail at 5+1.

The one big downside to this session was an experiment I tried. I put my good (meaning capable of decent precision) Sig top end on my AXG lower. I loved the way the gun feels and the lack of weight compared to the TXG module doesn't bother me but unfortunately it proved to be unreliable. I had a number of malfunctions of the failure to eject type. Now is not the time to mess with that so back to the old configuration. These Sigs are going bye bye as soon as I get some expendable cash.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I did the Hardwired Tactical HiTS First Responder course yesterday. Darryl Bolke and Bryan Eastridge ran an excellent class and set of drills. Think I went through 500 rounds of 45 ACP in my HK 45 LEM.

2 weekends ago I did about 200 rounds in John Hearne’s Cognitive Handgun with Tactical Anatomy course. Some great drills there as well.

Both classes weren’t only shooting drills but thinking drills on making a decision to and more importantly when not to shoot!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Shooting a man sized silhouette at 50 yards in between my 6 year old emptying Ruger 10 round mags at the same target. I was about 80 percent hits.
    Used a full size Glock and a GP100 double action.
    For not having shot a handgun in a few months, did good.

Top Bottom