What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    due to my current incapacitation, I've been practicing one handed reloads and clearing malfunctions. Its been.... challenging. Luckily for me it the non shooting hand, but its still been a challenge to relearn what was something so easy and natural.

I'm not fast, but Im capable. practice will increase pace.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have had some brain fog all day today and thought about not going to the range. I managed to talk myself into it as who knows when I might need the skills, it might be at a time when I am not at my best.

I started with a 91 point 10.70 second fail on the 10-10-7 all hands. A little slow and a little sloppy. I went right into the RM DOM Super test after that. Had a real good run going bit then got a little frustrated when I over prepped the trigger at the 10 and threw 1 wide right into the 7 ring and immediately after that 1 to the left in the 8, those turned an excellent run into just a good one.

PXL_20230602_223746837.MP.jpg

I also ran the Dyal Par 5 drill to make sure to get some 25 yard work in. This one came in at an 89/100.

The heart of the workout started with a couple of drills from Ron Avery that really get to the meat of what I have been working on. I put 50 rounds into his trigger stripe drill target placed horizontally at 7 yards. There were a few flyers but the weird thing was the 2 main groups. These drills really work the fundamentals while trying to really get the vision and shot calling going.
    PXL_20230602_215449524.MP.jpg

I moved on to 10 yard cadence drills after this and did quite a fair amount of 5 round strings to the headbox from 15 as well. I am really trying to keep all of the rounds into the head while trying to get the splits lower and lower.

It has been a while since I shot the 5X5 so I did that a couple times. The first run I planned to just shoot it clean and I did, but it was just a bit too slow at 18.55 (18.47 for CO master). The second time I made the mental mistake of telling myself to run it faster. I did, but at the expense of a bunch of points down(5) and came away with another Expert run.

I had 20 rounds of the 300 I took left so I pulled out my last Rastoffs challenge target and gave it a try. My focus wondered once at the 7 and I payed for it with a line break into the black which is a no go on this drill.

Overall not a bad session considering how I felt going into it.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The back to basics continues as I work grip and vision.

A cold 10-10-7 all hands yielded a 97 point in just a bit too slow 10.35.
    PXL_20230609_211546707.MP.jpg

Next up was just a slight variation of last week's 50/50 doing the TPC Reactor and Flinch Grinch. The reactor didn't go too bad with 3 misses and an average time of .19. The flinch Grinch on the other hand got away from me, at least none of the shots left the paper
    PXL_20230609_212626388.MP.jpg
    Doubles at 7 were pretty clean with only one wild shot, but I still need to relax the firing hand grip to drive those splits down from their .20 average. Again I followed doubles with 5 shot cadence drills . The 1 second splits went well. The .5 went fine when I got the time dialed in. Of course things get tough when we dial it down to minimum splits. Ideally you should be able to run these as fast as you can and figure out what you can do better. It is tough for me. At one point I realized I was not watching a small spot on the target but letting my vision bounce around with the dot. Adjusting that helped some. After that I just play with grip to try and get that repeatable return to zero.

Something I would really like to do is make repeatable hits to the headbox at 15 with .25 splits. (Arbitrary number) That appears to be a ways off as my pace right now appears to be around .60.

Finished with a B8 at 25. I will say this Sig in its current configuration of Legion TXG Xcarry frame with Custom Works slide and Killer Innovations barrel is reliable and not inaccurate. Not a bullseye gun, but if you take the 2 called whiffs on my part out, it doesn't do bad.

PXL_20230609_215446796.MP.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just wondering if others are practicing drawing from concealment, cover , and while on the move? Seems to really improve one’s skill set and proficiency.
    The bulk of my draw practice is done in parts of my twice daily dry fire. Of course I do confirm in live fire and all of what you mention is tested in matches.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Went out today to sight in my New Sig AXG grip with the FCU out of my Xcompact and the slide and barrel from my Legion Xcarry. Yes, that slide and barrel are still relatively inaccurate. The trigger is definitely a step down from my tuned Grayguns one in my Custom Works TXG. It is the usual Sig trigger, mushy with weak reset, but it will do for now.

Since I am running low on ammo, and the money to but it with (trying to cash flow a daughter through college), I thought I would revisit using the .22 to supplement. I remain unconvinced that you can do anything with a rimfire pistol that you can't do in dry fire. I started with trigger control at speed where recoil is not really a factor, went to some 25 yard slowfire, draws at 7, and some cadence fire. Overall I was trying to work target focus with the irons. It is no doubt easier to do with the good fiber optic sights I have on the Glock 44 vs. the stock chunky front sight on the Canik. Well if nothing else, shooting the rimfire is fun and relatively cheap. Also since it is what I wear at home when mowing and doing outdoor work to dispatch critters and such, I need to keep up my skills with it.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Went out today to sight in my New Sig AXG grip with the FCU out of my Xcompact and the slide and barrel from my Legion Xcarry. Yes, that slide and barrel are still relatively inaccurate. The trigger is definitely a step down from my tuned Grayguns one in my Custom Works TXG. It is the usual Sig trigger, mushy with weak reset, but it will do for now.

Since I am running low on ammo, and the money to but it with (trying to cash flow a daughter through college), I thought I would revisit using the .22 to supplement. I remain unconvinced that you can do anything with a rimfire pistol that you can't do in dry fire. I started with trigger control at speed where recoil is not really a factor, went to some 25 yard slowfire, draws at 7, and some cadence fire. Overall I was trying to work target focus with the irons. It is no doubt easier to do with the good fiber optic sights I have on the Glock 44 vs. the stock chunky front sight on the Canik. Well if nothing else, shooting the rimfire is fun and relatively cheap. Also since it is what I wear at home when mowing and doing outdoor work to dispatch critters and such, I need to keep up my skills with it.
    Does the axg point noticeably different than the legion module? I find the legion to point very low for me (running glocks regularly affects this of course) something like an m&p is right as rain though. I haven't touched a p- series sig in so long that i have forgotten how they are and the axg emulates them from what i gather, or maybe I'm projecting hope ;)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Does the axg point noticeably different than the legion module? I find the legion to point very low for me (running glocks regularly affects this of course) something like an m&p is right as rain though. I haven't touched a p- series sig in so long that i have forgotten how they are and the axg emulates them from what i gather, or maybe I'm projecting hope ;)
    Just starting to do a bunch of dry work with the AXG but from what I have seen it is close. My 365XL with EPS Carry is right there as well. I do want to add some aggressive palm swell LOK grips to the AXG.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    PXL_20230613_012245525.MP.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but check out the thickness in the grip between the two.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started with the now usual cold drill 10-10-7 all hands. It looks like I may have to work a little before I can move back on this one. 96 pts in 10.48. The TPC Reactor drill went ok, but the flinch Grinch was a mess. That works well for me in dry fire but it falls apart in live. I will get there.

Ran some cadence strings of 5 next at 10 yards. Running 1 second, .5 second and then AFAP which worked out to a .21 ave. I wanted to work transitions in this time and going forward so I set up for a Blake drill but with some modifications from Ben Stoegers. The first few runs were narrow, then medium and then wide transitions. The point here was to try and keep the shoulders relaxed and move the eyes to a spot on the next target letting the gun show up there and not over muscling it so you don't push past and have to correct. I did cheat a little and put a 2 inch dot on each target to focus on. It went pretty well with room for improvement of course.

Finished up with 2 runs of the 5X5, one with the Legion and one with the AXG. They point the same, but running them back to back you really notice the 10+ ounce weight difference. The runs were similar, Master times but with too many points down so expert scores.

indiana22native

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2023
    Fishers
    due to my current incapacitation, I've been practicing one handed reloads and clearing malfunctions. Its been.... challenging. Luckily for me it the non shooting hand, but its still been a challenge to relearn what was something so easy and natural.

I'm not fast, but Im capable. practice will increase pace.
    thafs always a good idea one-handed releases. I did nothing but dry fire this past month. need to get my butt back to the range

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Friday night practice was getting ready for Saturdays IDPA match shooting BUG. I had installed a Dawson Precision Fiber optic front sight and gotten in a case of Freedom Munitions 124 grain hollow point reloads to give a try. That being said I started with a zero check at 10 and 25 yards. Oddly though it grouped really well at 25 for an iron sighted gun of this size, it was significantly low right compared to its 10 yard check. When I tried it in the Sig, there was no real POA/POI difference. So was it me or the gun?
    PXL_20230623_223450703.MP.jpg

Next up I went into cadence drills both FS and SHO to see what pace I wanted to shoot this thing and how vision worked with the new sight. This was followed up with a run at the 5X5 in which I came away with an Expert level run and thought I had things figured out.

It turned out at the match I didn't have things figured out. When that beeper goes off I switch back to the target focus I have been using with dot guns for over ten years now and for me at anything over about 5 yards that just doesn't work. I am not sure it is worth it to pursue this road of trying to get better with this gun to shoot the occasional BUG match if it is going to be a different aiming scheme.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Today I went out to get back in the dot groove and check a few things. Starting with the cold 10-10-7 all hands one little guy turned a great run into an only good one.
    PXL_20230625_220842839.MP.jpg

I have mentioned I have been running trigger control at speed and Flinch Grinch a lot in dry fire. Trigger control at speed seems to really follow well into live fire with very little difference. Flinch Grinch on the other hand, not so much. I did make some progress with it today and found out if I slow down just a bit on the trigger press after the reset I can come in under the time constraints but still get decent hits.

I realized about then that I had brought less ammo than I thought so I ran some cadence drills work and the the Stoeger transition drill going from narrow to wide transitions. I saved 5 rounds to try in the AXG gun and found that different ammo doesn't help that original Legion barrel and slide. It is still inaccurate. Listening to a podcast over the weekend I was happy/not happy to hear that this is a known problem among better shooters. I had heard this before but only from one person so it was good to get some reinforcement on this issue, but now what to do?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Friday night practice was getting ready for Saturdays IDPA match shooting BUG. I had installed a Dawson Precision Fiber optic front sight and gotten in a case of Freedom Munitions 124 grain hollow point reloads to give a try. That being said I started with a zero check at 10 and 25 yards. Oddly though it grouped really well at 25 for an iron sighted gun of this size, it was significantly low right compared to its 10 yard check. When I tried it in the Sig, there was no real POA/POI difference. So was it me or the gun?
    View attachment 283364

Next up I went into cadence drills both FS and SHO to see what pace I wanted to shoot this thing and how vision worked with the new sight. This was followed up with a run at the 5X5 in which I came away with an Expert level run and thought I had things figured out.

It turned out at the match I didn't have things figured out. When that beeper goes off I switch back to the target focus I have been using with dot guns for over ten years now and for me at anything over about 5 yards that just doesn't work. I am not sure it is worth it to pursue this road of trying to get better with this gun to shoot the occasional BUG match if it is going to be a different aiming scheme.
    Do they have an optics BUG division?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Today was a bonus day. I went and bought 300 rounds of "extra" ammo just to work on IDPA Bill drill. That is just what I am calling 5 shots at 10 yards on an IDPA target. Really trying to continue on with the whole grip and vision thing. I di have an interruption about half way through the session and had to come back.

I started off with Mason Lane's version of Doubles. Doubles on Demand. I quickly moved to 5 shot cadence drills and after getting into the groove with them I went to the IDPA bill's trying to shoot them in a predictive manner. Long story short, I can't, yet. I was running a 1 second draw and about .19-.21 splits and just couldn't reliably keep them in the down zero. I hope to get there with some work and adjustments. As my target will show by the pasters you can't be afraid to fail when working on this. For me to keep it clean, I have to go reactive and see the dot land on the spot before I press the trigger. This was averaging about a .3 split. Interestingly enough when I switched to the AXG lower with Legion upper I felt a noticeable difference in the ease at which the gun returned to zero. This was born out by the timer bringing splits down to the .27-.28 territory. I concluded with 40 rounds of 5 shot strings to the headbox at 15 yards. This was running about a 1.5 DTFS and .60 splits. Ben Stoeger always talks about how easy it should be to master this stuff just by focusing on a small spot, and I admit, that helps, but I must be defective because it isn't easy. Back to regular practice tomorrow and hopefully a match Sunday.

PXL_20230630_212431739.MP.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    7-1-23

Started with Justin Dyal's prep time. Ran it twice and threw one shot off the 3"X3" card both times.

Ran the Rangemaster July DOTM next and ended up with a 290/300.

Worked the narrow/medium/wide dot transitions really working on seeing a small spot. Splits and transitions were mostly a match.

I finished up shooting the Run Your Gun Not Your Mouth June DOM.
    5 strings on a 4"X4" target at 10 yards. Made all of the times, missed my shot from the table start.
    1) 1 shot aimed at target in .5
    2) 1 shot low ready in 1 second
    3) loaded table start in 2 seconds
    4) low ready SHO 2 shots in 3 seconds
    5) low ready WHO 2 shots in 3 seconds.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    7-3-23

Got to the range and realized I had forgot both of my match guns. Time to use the 365XL carry gun which is what I wore to the range and carried all day.

This was meant to be a low round count session and had 2 things I wanted to work on. One was the Mason Lane Doubles on Demand again that I linked in an earlier post. That went pretty well considering the small gun and optic. I then went to 2 target transition work. The first way I did those was to shoot 1 shot on the target you are looking at and then move just your eyes to a small spot on the other target. The second way is looking at one target and on the beep move your eyes followed by the gun to the second target and then take the shot. There is definitely room for improvement on this and it can also be worked dry fire.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    A buddy of mine who had a defibrillator installed has to learn to shoot rifles right handed now.
    We set up a course on the Apocalypse road for a pistol caliber carbine. 3 positions, six target, small paper desert plates at distances from 15' to 15 yards.
    He's getting the hang of it now.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Forgot that I hadn't graduated to 10 yards yet on the 10-10-10 all hands yet and started there anyway. Shot a 90 in 10.61 so a fail but close enough that I think I will stay at 10 until I pass it cold there. Followed this up with a 25 yard Zero confirmation for the 124 grain Freedom reman. Good enough for what it is for.
    PXL_20230707_210911050.MP.jpg

Moved into doubles at 5, 7, and 10. Able to keep them in the down zero at 5 and 7 with .20 splits but at 10 they start getting out into the down 1. Worked cadence drills from 10 after that.

After a standards stage at the last IDPA match that I didn't do as well as I would have liked to, I decided to work on the old Fixed time standards. FS at 30, 2,2,2 on 3 targets in 4 seconds and then the same SHO from 20 and finally WHO from 10. The hardest string for me was the 20 yard SHO one. I was overtime on all 3 runs there and actually had a Mike. I need to remember to really keep that SHO grip tight to help with the trigger press as well as keeping that recoil from slowing me down to much. Shooting at 20 at speed with one hand shows you some stuff you might not see closer up.

15 yard heads reactively got a workout and then finished with 6 remaining rounds at 10 yards into a 1 inch circle. 4 were in one hole with the other 2 about an inch low right. Yes I am left handed.

Top Bottom