• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you want a real sink hole, go to Kentucky or even Florida. I lived in FL for 12 years and saw sink holes open up all the time. One opened under the newly built mall and swallowed part of the sears store. Another one opened up across the lake from us and ate a woman's house and brand new Cadillac. Most of the small lakes in FL are sink holes that have filled with water. Just proof that FL really sucks.
    I think we're all pretty familiar with FL's sinkholes.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    If you want a real sink hole, go to Kentucky or even Florida. I lived in FL for 12 years and saw sink holes open up all the time. One opened under the newly built mall and swallowed part of the sears store. Another one opened up across the lake from us and ate a woman's house and brand new Cadillac. Most of the small lakes in FL are sink holes that have filled with water. Just proof that FL really sucks.

You don't need to travel to KY or FL for a real sinkhole. We have karst topography right here in IN. Just ask those INGOERS in Monroe and Lawrence, Martin and Orange counties. And there are other counties also.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've got a few in my front yard due to broken field tiles (the old orange clay tiles). No matter what I do with fill dirt, it just washes away. I tried to seal it off with a few bags of concrete, but that isn't working either. Really hoping I don't have to spend a fortune fixing it.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Contact your local Street or MS4 department. My money is on a problem with a storm or sewer tile. I work for a municipality and deal with fixing these daily. I had this exact problem come up a couple of years ago. There was a seperation in the sections of tile allowing the dirt to wash in. I repaired this one just the other day.
    2014-04-08 13.44.40.jpg 2014-04-08 13.44.37.jpg

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Duke still hasn't been out. I was even emailed by them this morning saying someone would be out today for sure. Guess it is time to get in touch with someone at the town. Fishers has a Department of Public Works, would that be the place to start?

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    That would be a good place to start. Our DPW is sewer/MS4 and is seperate from streets. They should be able to determine if its a problem with a storm or sewer.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Apparently Duke was out on Wednesday, according to the neighbor. There is a storm drain at the back of the property between the houses. They think it runs up to the main storm sewer at the street, along the property line. They found another soft spot in the back yard that I had not seen, and if you look, you can sorta see an indentation running how a drain pipe may run.

I guess Duke was going to get in touch with the town. I also opened a ticket with them this morning. It sounds like they may have to do a bit of digging to find this...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've got a few in my front yard due to broken field tiles (the old orange clay tiles). No matter what I do with fill dirt, it just washes away. I tried to seal it off with a few bags of concrete, but that isn't working either. Really hoping I don't have to spend a fortune fixing it.
    Running water is great at wearing away soil. Anything other than fixing the tiles just gives the water something else to run around or wash away.

We've been fighting with a few busted tiles for years. I need to find someone to go in and install new tiles.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Apparently Duke was out on Wednesday, according to the neighbor. There is a storm drain at the back of the property between the houses. They think it runs up to the main storm sewer at the street, along the property line. They found another soft spot in the back yard that I had not seen, and if you look, you can sorta see an indentation running how a drain pipe may run.

I guess Duke was going to get in touch with the town. I also opened a ticket with them this morning. It sounds like they may have to do a bit of digging to find this...

They probably won't dig around the electrical box to find the problem. Anything within a couple of feet of power, gas, or water I will hydro excavate. Our department has a Vaccon (basically a large truck with high pressure water and a "vacuum" hose) to blast high pressure water and suck the slurry out of the hole. I would imagine the town of Fishers has the same capabilities.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Call them back and say the box is now making an ominous noise that you havent noticed before. :runaway:(you havent ever listened for the hum before today, right? RIGHT?!?!?):whistle:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Running water is great at wearing away soil. Anything other than fixing the tiles just gives the water something else to run around or wash away.

We've been fighting with a few busted tiles for years. I need to find someone to go in and install new tiles.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Wonder how much $$$ that will cost me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Sounds like things are moving along then. Several years ago a storm came through that took out our neighbor's walnut tree. The tree was located near the shared property line, which is also where the power lines ran. So the tree brought down the lines. We called for 5 days. On the sixth I said that a kid came close to touching the lines, but was stopped by a watchful adult. (There was no kid.) There was a truck there in 3 hours. I don't think it was a priority to them until the liability issue was made clear.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Someone was out a week ago and filled the hole with soil... overfilled even. But they didn't contact me about the problem or let me know if any work to repair the cause of the hole will be done. My ticket with the town hasn't been closed, as far as I know. There's still a hole in the back yard. Shrug. Guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Top Bottom