• perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    What to do about a sink hole?

sXfHAXN.jpg

I noticed that in my front yard yesterday.. it's about 4' deep. maybe 3' long and about 1.5' out from the electric box. I can't see any underground utility lines, yet. The ground further out was pretty soft, so I can see the hole expanding as we get more rain. There's another little utility pole / container about 4 - 5' away, so the soft ground may expand to around there. This is right on the property line.. the box is in the neighbor's yard and the hole in mine (I think that's the line).

I called Duke Energy on Sunday about the hole because their number is on the box, but I don't know what else to do about it. Just start pouring bags of soil in to it?

Last edited:

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    pouring soil in a sinkhole is sometimes a waste of time. it will normally go where the rest of the dirt did. it should be filled with broken blocks (largish pieces) in an attempt to create a blockage, then covered with soil. because of it's location i would let your electric company take care of it for you. if anything happened due to you messing with it they could hold you liable for damages. now get back on the phone with them and stress how dangerous you feel the situation is and note that you are concerned a child could get hurt. they should send someone out pretty quick to take care of it for you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just start pouring bags of soil in to it?

That's what I'd do. But there may be more knowledgeable sink hole experts than myself that will respond. I've had a few (smaller than that) open up on my property where water tends to run and/or set. I've simply filled them with dirt and the only ones that come back are the ones that are active springs when the water table rises.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Never worked with one of these boxes, but I suspect it will be billed as customer responsibility since the box and pad are intact. It's your yard that's the problem.

when AT&T laid bare wire on my dirt as our phone line and it was cut, they blamed us for hitting it. I blamed them for not burying their wire. They assumed we were going to sod it I guess which would have buried the cable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My point is let DUKE look and decide how or if they will repair it or how they may require it be done. That is a power distribution box. Not to be taken lightly.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Here's another view from this morning. I guess the other utilities are closer than I thought. The water turnoff is just on the other side of the sidewalk. House is 15 years old. Don't know what a drain tile is but doubt we have them. Just a cookie cutter neighborhood.

uynwauO.jpg

I called Duke because I don't want to be messing around with the electric box. If they say just dump dirt in it, then I will. If they suspect something else then I'll call whoever else. I just don't want that hole expanding and that box being compromised.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    pouring soil in a sinkhole is sometimes a waste of time. it will normally go where the rest of the dirt did. it should be filled with broken blocks (largish pieces) in an attempt to create a blockage, then covered with soil. because of it's location i would let your electric company take care of it for you. if anything happened due to you messing with it they could hold you liable for damages. now get back on the phone with them and stress how dangerous you feel the situation is and note that you are concerned a child could get hurt. they should send someone out pretty quick to take care of it for you.
    This is good advice.

If your subdivision was built in what used to be a farm field, you may have field tiles in the ground.

Putting sand or dirt into a sinkhole caused by running water is only a cosmetic fix. The next time the water runs the dirt/sand will just start washing away again. I have a busted field tile in one of our pastures, and have tried dirt, rocks and dirt, etc to fix it. The only thing that will fix it is fixing the tile. Something I have yet to get done.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have been fighting the exact same thing for the last 2.5 years.

The first time, the box itself was sinking in my yard. Duke came out and pumped a few thousand gallons of water and couldn't figure out where it was going...so they eventually dug out the box & surrounding area, reinstalled the fuse box and backfilled.

I've subsequently had two small sinkholes (big enough for your foot to go in up to your knee) form between the electrical box and a Sellersburg water manhole, which have been repaired by the Town of Sellersburg.

Pretty annoying considering my house is less than 10 years old.

Contact Duke first and make them come out, if the lineman is a jackass to you (I got one of those once) kick it up to a regional supervisor level and blow their Facebook page up with your photos discussing the safety threat to children, pets, etc. - you will most certainly get a response then.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How close is it to your house, and what is your foundation? If it's close to a slab, I'd really want to have the erosion investigated, in case the same thing is happening under the house, which could lead to a collapse.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It's far enough that erosion up to the foundation would be enough to swallow a Corvette! 7-8 yards I'd guess. The sidewalk a couple feet away looks fine. And the rock just out of frame on the left doesn't seem to have moved.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    sXfHAXN.jpg

I noticed that in my front yard yesterday.. it's about 4' deep. maybe 3' long and about 1.5' out from the electric box. I can't see any underground utility lines, yet. The ground further out was pretty soft, so I can see the hole expanding as we get more rain. There's another little utility pole / container about 4 - 5' away, so the soft ground may expand to around there. This is right on the property line.. the box is in the neighbor's yard and the hole in mine (I think that's the line).

I called Duke Energy on Sunday about the hole because their number is on the box, but I don't know what else to do about it. Just start pouring bags of soil in to it?

Go caving!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Save a copy of the photo. When the government comes to take your guns simply explain to them you were outside cleaning all of your weapons, went inside for a moment and when you came back all your guns had been swallowed up by the sinkhole. Then you won't have to lie about a tragic boating accident.

Top Bottom