• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Here's a question: what colleges, if any, allow licensed individuals to carry handguns on campus and/or keep firearms in dorm rooms?

While it's a little early yet (my daughter is only 4), I expect that to be a significant part of her college choice when the time comes.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I can't think of any in Indiana, but several around the country do. The most notable being the Appalacian Law College in West Virginia where two armed students stopped an armed man trying to attack an ex girl friend. Utah and Colorado also have a couple that I recently read about as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Every college in Utah allows it, whether they like it or not. They are barred by law from prohibiting it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We often carried at Rose-Hulman. The Gun Clubs firearms were located on campus as well as many officers personal weapons. I do not remember if they had an specific rule for or against it, but I often carried. But we were not a normal college. Instead of Government classes, we all took Military Science. Most other colleges did not have students making rope bridges and repelling. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm curious as to how the IN state colleges can have administrative rules prohibiting it (for students or otherwise). It would be like your local library prohibiting carry.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't know if anyone carried at rose when I was there, if they did it was definitely concealed. I know I wasn't allowed to keep airsoft guns in my room sophmore year though according to the RA, had to keep them in my car trunk.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am not aware of any gun rules at Wabash College. When I attended if there were regulations regarding guns they were unknown and ignored. I knew students who had guns on campus, in their rooms, etc. I don't know of any who had carry permits or carried on campus, but guns were present.

At the time I went there we had 1 basic rule of conduct: A Wabash Man will always act like a Gentleman. That rule was applied to all actions on campus. Political correctness had not polluted the campus either so the rule was not applied to thoughts, theories or speech. BTW, Wabash was and remains an all male school, so while guns may be allowed, this would not apply to your daughter unless there is a dramatic change in their admission policy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm curious as to how the IN state colleges can have administrative rules prohibiting it (for students or otherwise). It would be like your local library prohibiting carry.

Probably by the section of the IC that allows any unit of gov't except a township to prohibit carry in it's buildings and on it's property. Just a guess, but if it came down to them citing their authority to do so, that would be my bet. All the more reason to pass both full preemption, which I'm told Rep. Jackie Walorski will introduce and the bill that Sen. Johnny Nugent introduced last term and will reintroduce this term, according to the best info I have.

Blessings,
    B

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    I don't believe Michigan allows carry on campuses but if you are looking for a pro RKBA college, I would give Hillsdale College a good look. They have a shooting range, armory, their security encourages students to arm themselves as best they can legally. Guns at Hillsdale are like bongs at other schools, everyone has one, they just don't always talk about it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't believe Michigan allows carry on campuses .
    From that link I posted earlier:

Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two states with no provision for legal concealed carry. Including Illinois and Wisconsin, there are 27 states that expressly prohibit concealed carry on college campuses. These states are Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Wyoming.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Interesting list. There are a few states I would not expect to be on it. I guess I shouldn't expect consistency from gov't. What was I thinking.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Probably by the section of the IC that allows any unit of gov't except a township to prohibit carry in it's buildings and on it's property. Just a guess, but if it came down to them citing their authority to do so, that would be my bet. All the more reason to pass both full preemption, which I'm told Rep. Jackie Walorski will introduce and the bill that Sen. Johnny Nugent introduced last term and will reintroduce this term, according to the best info I have.

Blessings,
    B
    Yep, White River library prohibits it.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    From that link I posted earlier:

Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two states with no provision for legal concealed carry. Including Illinois and Wisconsin, there are 27 states that expressly prohibit concealed carry on college campuses. These states are Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Interesting list. There are a few states I would not expect to be on it. I guess I shouldn't expect consistency from gov't. What was I thinking.
    They prohibit concealed carry.. but what about open carry?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    They prohibit concealed carry.. but what about open carry?

I suspect you are being tongue in cheek, but SCCC does not officially discuss OC. They are trying to use a very narrow, specific focus in order to concentrate their potential for success.

There are many related topics that they ignore, and OC is one of them. The group has the possibility to self destruct rather easily, as a few bad apples sour the whole bunch. It is probably wise that they focus on CC if they want any measure of success.

SCCC with their hugely successful membership drive(s), brought in large groups of students, many of whom were not dedicated to the cause or were just generally counterproductive. Eventually the facebook group became something that doesn't reflect very well on gun owners. They have a great idea, and I wish them the best of luck, but you are judged by the company you keep, and I would not want to keep their bad apples.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Lets just try and get the laws changed here at home to reflect those of Utah then your daughter can go to any college in Indiana. I mean hell we got 14 years seems like a reasonable goal.

Actually, the situation with my daughter is more of an aside (as you said, 14 years). I was trying to draw some discussion of the matter. Folk with children closer to the age might want to consider "voting with their cash" and encouraging their children to go to schools where carry is permitted.

Just a thought.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Well, state colleges are private entities that receive tax payer money. It is no different than Lucas Oil Stadium or Circle Center Mall. Not sure if you can carry at those places, but they can ban weapons if they choose, private property trumps your individual rights. Some will argue that once an entity is funded by public tax dollars, be it 1% or 100%, they are now open to the public. That is just not true. Courts have ruled that government has a right to place limits on their property, and that property is 100% taxpayer funded, unlike universities. Also, libraries can prohibit carrying. A month or so ago someone called one of the radio talk shows in Indy (either Abdul or Garrison) and said that he was in the National Guard, had a permit, and someone saw it in the library. They called the Carmel police and the officer said to take it outside and secure it in the vehicle or leave.

Like with anything, it is going to take a lawsuit to get things changed. I know there was a push in the legislature to force universities/colleges (public) to recognize CCW permits. I find that totally hypocritical since most of those same people banned weapons from the state house.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Actually, the situation with my daughter is more of an aside (as you said, 14 years). I was trying to draw some discussion of the matter. Folk with children closer to the age might want to consider "voting with their cash" and encouraging their children to go to schools where carry is permitted.

Just a thought.

In all honesty, do you want your daughter harmed? I have known cases on universities where guns have been taken off students. It seems the ones we take them off usually have "issues" such as having been arrested (yet they still have a permit after attacking someone) or under restraining orders for violent acts against others. Then there are the wanna-be cops who for some reason think they should just open carry and don't seem to grasp the concept that most folks are sheeple and will freak out over that. I personally think good folks should be able to carry, but with 18 year olds who drink, I just can't help thinking that is going to lead to problems. As sick as it sounds, I guess one has to weight the body county from killings vs. those from kids playing around. The former we all hear about, the latter usually only makes local news.

Top Bottom