What caliber do you use for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Air Force active duty 10 years, guard for the past 3 on the "O/dark side". I'm grateful for people like you. However back to your question: What does that make the Space Force? Why smarter than the average bear of course!
    Knew that would get a rise out of someone. I still trust my life with those fly boys on Space A flights.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Interesting thread. Caliber choice depends on location and conditions. Wife uses her 350 Legend. I use a .308 for areas that have open area that extend the hunting range. In the tight woods, I use a 45-70 or 30-30. Variety is the spice of life!
    In heavy woods, I like the 35 Remington in my 50 year old Marlin lever action. 200 grain soft point!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, the problem mentioned in the OP was not of too much bullet but too soft of a bullet which most Hornady bullets tend to be. I'd much rather lose both shoulders than the whole deer, however, it is easy enough to hold behind the shoulder and not lose much meat at all. Personally, I prefer mono-metal bullets, Barnes in particular, for any caliber .270 and under for deer size game. They are pretty much guaranteed to provide full penetration, significant terminal damage, and I don't have to worry about lead fragments in the meat.

I'm currently using a 6.5 PRC but have previously used a .260 Rem, a .270 WSM, and a .300 WSM.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    I like to use my .30-06 on private land with 178 gr. ELD-Xs, and on state and public land ive got a Ruger scout in .450 bushmaster with 250gr. Winchester XPs. That ruger is quickly becoming my favorite hunting rifle! Both teeter on being to much medicine, but if you keep it behind the shoulder, and off the heart, the meat loss in minimal.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    many variables but to maybe simplify things, anything you use which has an impact on game at/above 2900fps is probably going to create more waste meat. mmm red jelly.
    Just grind it and it will taste the same. That's what my dad and I do. Besides you are supposed to shoot below the shoulder blade lol.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Kinda thinking I need a thumper.
    .450 Bushmaster.
    Wondering who makes a decent upper.
    Not going cheap or boutique build, mid level is fine.
    So far, I've been satisfied with mine from BCA.
    I know they're thought of as bottom teir.
    To each their own.

To answer the o.p., let's see.
    I've used the following,

.357mag
    .44special
    .44mag
    .45Colt
    .454 Casull
    .30-30
    .35Remington
    .350Legend
    .45-70gvt