What caliber do you use for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Personally, I've been using a 30-30 marlin, 12g, and 30-06 for the past few years. My family adds in .243, .358 win, .308, and. 270. They've all served us well.
    Well, sir, Welcome to to INGO, please stop by the intro page n introduce yourself. Please take note of the replies you will get. I’m sure you’ll find them enlightening. Sneaking in the back door might not be the best idea around here. By the by, Welcome n best o luck.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I'm hunting with a 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform. Accurate, light, compact, and can reach out well over 250 yards. Best caliber I've ever used on deer. None that I've shot, using 120gn Sierra ProHunter bullets, have ran more than 20 yards. Most have dropped like a rock.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Most of the time an Accumark 7mm Rem Mag. Sometimes a 243 or 25-06. I use the 7 mag because I happen to like the gun.
    Son in law used a 7 Rem Mag his first few years in Michigan (where he moved) and it tore up too much deer meat. I have one and while it is a great shooter, I really don't hunt with it (safe queen).

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Don’t own a 25-06 but I’ve been interested in it for awhile now because of its versatility and velocity. Honestly, I’m partial to the .270 because I can shoot 90 grn. bullets up to 150 and being a Jack O’Conner fan it will take down North American game with the right bullet construction. Admittedly if I were hunting grizzly bears I would probably err on the side of caution with a .338 at a minimum. The 30-06 and .243 are are very capable. I think it’s kind of a preference and what you shoo well. If you are a retired 1SG, welcome to the show top. Army as well!
    1SG 3 years (20 years, 7 months, 6 days active duty). "If" above has been defined! Go Army beat Navy (Dec 9th). If the Air Force is a bunch of weenies, what's that make Space Force?

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    The last few years I’ve primarily used a 6.5 Grendel 123gr Hornady SST. I’ve taken 6 deer with the furthest being 250 yards. Pretty happy with the round and it’s also my groundhog choice.

I've also been using 6.5 Grendel with Sierra 120gr ProHunters. Deer drop like a rock. Shot one at at 175 yards and it literally fell over on the spot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My favorite is a 243 with 80 gr Barnes. Any rifle messes up some meat. We've used 300 bo up to 300wm.

Last one I shot with the .243 had a 2" circle of damage to the opposite side rib cage, without exit. I was shocked that the deer still ran 20 yards. I was using a 100gr Interlock. I wonder if I should think about switching to some of the 80-95gr ballistic tip type offerings?

Maybe I'm just spoiled from deer shot with the muzzleloader, that are DRT after the smoke clears?

:dunno:

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    1SG 3 years (20 years, 7 months, 6 days active duty). "If" above has been defined! Go Army beat Navy (Dec 9th). If the Air Force is a bunch of weenies, what's that make Space Force?
    Air Force active duty 10 years, guard for the past 3 on the "O/dark side". I'm grateful for people like you. However back to your question: What does that make the Space Force? Why smarter than the average bear of course!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Last one I shot with the .243 had a 2" circle of damage to the opposite side rib cage, without exit. I was shocked that the deer still ran 20 yards. I was using a 100gr Interlock. I wonder if I should think about switching to some of the 80-95gr ballistic tip type offerings?

Maybe I'm just spoiled from deer shot with the muzzleloader, that are DRT after the smoke clears?

:dunno:
    Did the lungs drain out as a liquid? I've shot deer through the heart that ran hundreds of yards. Sounds like it did its job just fine. Also, what was the range? I've found that too close is worse than too far sometimes.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Active duty 10 years, guard for the past 3 on the "O/dark side". I'm grateful for people like you. However back to your question: What does that make the Space Force? Why smarter than the average bear of course!
    Makes them your boss someday is my thought. Be nice to the nerds in school, kids -you're going to work for their company someday!

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    .300 blk as it was the cheapest way to get into it this year

Im going to buy a .308 bolt gun. It does the job and is probably the cheapest non intermediate rifle round and I actually want to shoot my gun a fair bit and learn my holds and whatnot

I could do 6.5 or some 7mm or something but I used a rangefinder where i will hunt and the farthest shot is 409 yards across a corn field. Most shots overlooking a field are going to be 250-60 yards and .308 is more then enough gun if I use my part

I also will keep the .300 blk AR. I'm looking to use a 14.5 pin and weld and try to get a suppressor and those lightweight primary arms 3x prism sights with an illuminated reticle

I figure that would be a good brush gun for up close to 125ish yards in the woods or if i go down south to hunt hogs with my friends in texas

Top Bottom