What are your preferred sights on a defensive pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    to go RDS or not is the million dollar question

Depends. Aside from the obvious issues of cost and size, there's not yet a slide mounted RDS out there that's proven to live through round counts of 5k-10k without pooing the bed. Aimpoint's new offering is supposedly tested through 20k rounds, so if that bears out it'll be a class leader in durability. I know some folks will never shoot 5k through a pistol, others will do it in a month, so how much longevity matters to you depends.

For concealed carry, maybe not much of a concern, but for open carry/duty holsters were snow, mud, etc. can obscure the glass...now what? BUIS won't work through occluded glass.

If you don't mind the cost and you don't mind the bulk and you don't mind the limited longevity AND you're willing to train your presentation to find the dot quickly on press out and you're keeping the glass shielded during carry, then maybe it's worth it. If your eyes are to the point you can't find the front sight any longer, then maybe it's worth it. Else, I'd stick to irons for now and let the electronic options continue to mature. They'll only get better and/or cheaper as technology improves.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    For concealed carry, maybe not much of a concern, but for open carry/duty holsters were snow, mud, etc. can obscure the glass...now what? BUIS won't work through occluded glass.

Wasn't planning to go RDS for my carry gun for various reasons. I had not thought about the glass getting messy from outside elements. Heck, I sweat thru my gun almost daily when it is above maybe 75. I can only imagine what the little window of opportunity would look like.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    hd.jpg

Trijicon HD Yellow front dot on my G21 and 3 M&P 9mms.

GL-301-2-T.jpg

Ameriglo I-Dot Pro Yellow front dot on my Shield .45 and S&W SD9VE.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Historically, it’s been Ameriglo Hackathorns (Glock & M&P) but I’m trying something new and running a set of TruGlo TFX Pro’s this weekend in a training class so we’ll see how that goes. Maybe making a change soon.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom