What are your preferred sights on a defensive pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I am currently using Ameriglo Spaulding sights and like them well enough.

If I could find a tritium, fiber optic, with bold painted outline and blacked out rear sights, that may be the perfect set.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am currently using Ameriglo Spaulding sights and like them well enough.

If I could find a tritium, fiber optic, with bold painted outline and blacked out rear sights, that may be the perfect set.

Trijicon HD or similar. A light touch with a black permanent marker on the rear tritium vials blacks out the rear sight more completely and also makes the front sight stand out a bit more in low light situations, as it's a bit brighter.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Trijicon HD or similar. A light touch with a black permanent marker on the rear tritium vials blacks out the rear sight more completely and also makes the front sight stand out a bit more in low light situations, as it's a bit brighter.

Trijicon HD

Same here. Trijicon HD's or Ameriglo Spartan Operators.

For the OP, the Ameriglo Hackathorn's may be the ideal as they don't have the tritium in the rear sight (I prefer to have the tritium, but without any outline, therefore I go with the Trijicon HD or the Ameriglo Spartan Operators myself).

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I prefer fiber optic sights with a blacked out rear sight on all of my guns. I went 5000 rounds before I changed out a rod on my M9A1 and it could’ve gone longer. If I were to go with night sights I really like the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. It has an orange front dot with a tritium center and blacked out rear sight.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Like many here, I have used almost every type of sight available. In recent years I was preferring to customize my sights by purchasing either F.O or night sights from Dawson Precision, which allowed me to order just the right height sights for each handgun. Now you could say that I am a convert to a completely different kind of sight system, that system being Diamond Speed Sights. I can say without hesitation that I have never utilized sights before that allowed me to both shoot faster and with more accuracy from the same sight system, all other sights have been an either/or situation. I have described Diamond Speed Sights, to everyone that will listen, as the iron sight equivalent of having cross-hairs on a pistol.

After installing the Diamond Speed Sights first on my EDC M&P m2.0C, I quickly decided that these new sights will reside on every handgun I possibly can. (not currently available for every handgun type)

Diamond Speed Sights on my M&P (front sight slightly out of camera's focus)
    F9jxWtil.jpg

Just like Cross-Hairs:
    v9pmUo1l.jpg

If you are tired of estimating the light gap between the sight posts, or frustrated with trying to quickly align round dots, then you really should check out Diamond Speed Sights. You will thank me later.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can say without hesitation that I have never utilized sights before that allowed me to both shoot faster and with more accuracy from the same sight system, all other sights have been an either/or situation.

How much faster, and on what sort of drills/tests?

What's the difference? "Equal light" still looks like a thing from the picture you posted, but "equal height" is moved to the center of the sight post instead of the top?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    How much faster, and on what sort of drills/tests?

What's the difference? "Equal light" still looks like a thing from the picture you posted, but "equal height" is moved to the center of the sight post instead of the top?

BBI,

The drills so far have simply been the 3 to 4 drills where sight alignment and sight picture are established. How much faster, would be about 40% to 50% faster without doing a lot of timer work... Let's just say that it is noticeably faster, and this is coming from a guy who really sucks at speed shooting. It is the worst part of my shooting discipline.

The picture that I pulled from the Web was due to the fact it was the most level I could find, and would allow me to draw cross-hairs. That light gap is absolutely NOT there when the sights are presented at arms length from the shooter's eye, and is due to the closeness of the camera to the sights. The actual sight alignment is more like my M&P sight picture above, which shows the diamond points touching. When presenting the gun, it is amazing how quickly your brain recognizes the diamond shapes and gives your finger the "GO" signal. It is just so much better, for me, than the alignment of 3 round circles or 3 rectangles (posts).

I have been shooting since I was 7-years old, and I thought that I would have to unlearn many years of sight-alignment conditioning to get used to the Diamond Speed sights, but I found that they are actually very intuitive.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom