• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    After seeing some recent pics of negligent discharges I decided to post some rules at a range we are building, does this pretty much cover it, is there anything i need to change?
    1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
    2. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
    4. Be sure of your target and know what is beyond it.
    5. Unload firearm after use and prove it (lock slide back/open bolt)

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    IMG_1833.jpg

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    After seeing some recent pics of negligent discharges I decided to post some rules at a range we are building, does this pretty much cover it, is there anything i need to change?
    1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
    2. Never point a gun anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it

Please unload firearm after use (lock slide back/open bolt)

As you can see I listed in correct order and took one line out.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
    2. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
    4. Be sure of your target and know what is beyond it.
    5. Unload firearm after use and prove it (lock slide back/open bolt)

Number 1 is incorrect. The Gunsight Academy sign chezuki posted is correct.

To say, "Treat every gun AS IF it is loaded.", is a softening of the language, and implies that there are times when a gun is unloaded. Too many people have been shot by "unloaded" guns. It is far safer to operate under the premise that every firearm IS loaded.

As far as #5 goes, it's moot. If every gun IS loaded, then you can not "prove" that one is not. You can break down a gun to show that it is unloaded, but then it is not an operable firearm is it?

I know it's just semantics, but the careful phrasing is important in establishing the safe mindset.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    well, im in my mid 30's, the first time i even touched a gun was 7 months ago, now i own several, my father in law that never bought a gun just got one, my brother in law that never owned a gun now owns two, my younger brother that never touched a gun until around 6 months ago now owns 5. this is on my inlaws property, so i hope it will be fun and safe for everyone. i want to post rules because even though i want people to be comfortable, i dont want them to be negligent, i want them to remember that these are firearms, and a negligent discharge could ruin a life so be safe.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you have to show them the rules, you probably don't want them coming over. Just a thought. :):

Having a backyard range would really present a chance to teach the uninitiated that guns are perfectly safe if handled correctly. Posting a sign helps reinforce the safety aspect.

I was going to say that it also helps remind experienced shooters that should know better, but on second thought, your statement above covers that area quite well. If they are a shooter and don't know the rules, you probably don't want to be shooting with them.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    well, im in my mid 30's, the first time i even touched a gun was 7 months ago, now i own several, my father in law that never bought a gun just got one, my brother in law that never owned a gun now owns two, my younger brother that never touched a gun until around 6 months ago now owns 5. this is on my inlaws property, so i hope it will be fun and safe for everyone. i want to post rules because even though i want people to be comfortable, i dont want them to be negligent, i want them to remember that these are firearms, and a negligent discharge could ruin a life so be safe.
    There are a lot of new gun owners right now due to the current administration and concerns about what may be coming. It is a great idea to establish a range for new gun owners to practice, and to post rules and have someone act as a range officer to be sure they are followed. Owning a gun is a responsibility, and knowing how to use it is part of that responsibility. I applaud you for setting up a family range and making efforts to ensure that it is safe. I would encourage new gun owners to go through the NRA basic handgun training as well. I went through it along with my 15 year old son, and recommend Indy Gun Safety. My instructor Eric Welsh was awesome.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Number 1 is incorrect. The Gunsight Academy sign chezuki posted is correct.

To say, "Treat every gun AS IF it is loaded.", is a softening of the language, and implies that there are times when a gun is unloaded. Too many people have been shot by "unloaded" guns. It is far safer to operate under the premise that every firearm IS loaded.

As far as #5 goes, it's moot. If every gun IS loaded, then you can not "prove" that one is not. You can break down a gun to show that it is unloaded, but then it is not an operable firearm is it?

I know it's just semantics, but the careful phrasing is important in establishing the safe mindset.

I understand you point, but disagree with the Gunsite phrasing. In adult learning, it is just as dangerous to keep insisting that something that is false is true. Eventually people will tune it out, or not respect it when they know it to be false.

For instance...If every gun is always loaded, how can you ever disassemble it to begin with (which you may have to do on the range for malfunction inspection)? How is anyone ever safe to go change tape or change targets? How can you ever clean it?

I'm sorry, but if you have an open, empty chamber and no magazine in the gun, then the gun is not loaded. At that point it is no more dangerous than any other inanimate object. The rest of the rules are there for a reason.

I say call a duck a duck. YMMV.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    We teach the following 4+1:

1) Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
    2) Keep your finger off the trigger until your muzzle is oriented towards the target and you have made the conscious decision to shoot
    3) Be sure of your target, what is beyond your target, around your target, and between you and your target
    4) Do not cross your muzzle over anything you are not willing to kill, destroy, or buy

In addition to the 4 universal safe gun handling rules, let dropping guns fall.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Top ten rules to gun safety. :yesway:
    1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    2. Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use.
    3. Don't rely on your gun's safety to keep you safe.
    4. Be sure of your target & what is behind it.
    5. Know what ammunition your gun uses & only use that ammo in it.
    6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, keep it pointed downrange & handle it with care until the gun is cleared.
    7. Always use eye & ear protection when shooting.
    8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading any ammo.
    9. Keep your gun clean & have it serviced regularly.
    10. Learn the mechanical & handling characteristics of your firearm.

Top Bottom