• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Number 1 is incorrect. The Gunsight Academy sign chezuki posted is correct.

To say, "Treat every gun AS IF it is loaded.", is a softening of the language, and implies that there are times when a gun is unloaded. Too many people have been shot by "unloaded" guns. It is far safer to operate under the premise that every firearm IS loaded.

That's just dumb. It's like saying "give 110%" - it's impossible and there would be no ammunition shortage if it was possible. Also, I'd never be able to take a gun to a gun show to sell - I'd never be able to comply with the "unload all guns" sign!

People have been shot because they treated a loaded gun as if it was unloaded. If you follow the converse and treat an unloaded gun as it was loaded, no one gets hurt. In fact, to say "operate under the premise" means to indeed "treat as if loaded". To say "every gun is loaded" is just plain delusional or dishonest.

It's totally possible to unload a firearm and then PROVE that it is unloaded. We go through this drill when we store firearms or clean them.

I'll gladly accept any insult about be a grammar nazi.:D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We teach the following 4+1:

1) Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
    2) Keep your finger off the trigger until your muzzle is oriented towards the target and you have made the conscious decision to shoot
    3) Be sure of your target, what is beyond your target, around your target, and between you and your target
    4) Do not cross your muzzle over anything you are not willing to kill, destroy, or buy

In addition to the 4 universal safe gun handling rules, let dropping guns fall.

I'm a big fan of these. Aren't they similar to Appleseed?

Number two is the most important yet most ignored rules. Go any public range and see for yourself.

Number one is vague - what does it mean to "treat as loaded"? Don't point at you friend and pull the trigger? If you follow #2, #3 and #4 then #1 is superfluous.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Aren't they similar to Appleseed?
    I'll answer my own question - Cooper's rules are slightly different.

1. ALL firearms are to be unloaded at all times except when on the firing line, after the shooter has prepped and been given the "LOAD" command."Unloaded" means bolt locked back, safety on, mag out, and grounded on shooting mat or rifle rack.
    2. MUZZLES are to be pointed in a SAFE DIRECTION at ALL TIMES. (The GOLDEN RULE of gun safety.)
    3. You never touch the trigger until your sights are on the target, and you are ready to fire the shot.
    4. You make sure everyone around you complies with these rules.

Top Bottom