What’s your favorite semi-auto for conceal carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My EDC is an M&P 9c, just got ahold of a G26, kind of liking it, but love the M&P's trigger. Love my wife's P365, but she won't trade for the 26.......

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    IÂ’ve been carrying my hk40 usp but itÂ’s pretty heavy. IÂ’ve been thinking about a 9mm glock. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem. I carried a HK40 and it was a heavy gun to tote around. Than I carried the Springfield Armory xd40. It was a great gun to carry. But shooting it, it was a little on the small side even with the extended mags. I liked the safety trigger and wished it didn't have that redundant safety to think about. Now I'm carrying a Glock 23, the same size as a Glock 19 but 40 cal. It has 4 additional grip sizes in the box to fit most hands. I give up a little comfort over the Springfield but gain confidence in having a gun fit my hand and always ready to shoot.
    A word about holsters. A stiff kydex holster will poke you in the side every chance it gets. The Blackhawk holsters have a release button that I forget is there or I fumble around looking for it. The Fobus is softer and comfortable and has enough tension without a release button. I added a light and bought a couple Code 4 Concealment holsters which stab me relentlessly. I need to look for a Fobus that accomodates my trl2.
    That's the route I took. It's not perfect. There's better comfort options for a gun that probably doesn't fit you. There's better guns that would probably cost you those first few precious shots.

Last edited:

ryanprivate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2018
    San Jose
    I had the exact same problem. I carried a HK40 and it was a heavy gun to tote around. Than I carried the Springfield Armory xd40. It was a great gun to carry. But shooting it, it was a little on the small side even with the extended mags. I liked the safety trigger and wished it didn't have that redundant safety to think about. Now I'm carrying a Glock 23, the same size as a Glock 19 but 40 cal. It has 4 additional grip sizes in the box to fit most hands. I give up a little comfort over the Springfield but gain confidence in having a gun fit my hand and always ready to shoot.
    A word about holsters. A stiff kydex holster will poke you in the side every chance it gets. The Blackhawk holsters have a release button that I forget is there or I fumble around looking for it. The Fobus is softer and comfortable and has enough tension without a release button. I added a light and bought a couple Code 4 Concealment holsters which stab me relentlessly. I need to look for a Fobus that accomodates my trl2.
    That's the route I took. It's not perfect. There's better comfort options for a gun that probably doesn't fit you. There's better guns that would probably cost you those first few precious shots.

Get a Tier 1 Concealed holster.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I usually carry a customized Colt Officer's ACP in .45 ACP. I carry two spare magazines.

I used to CC a Colt 1991-A1 Officer's-sized pistol...which was a great shooter, but a might on the heavy side, IMO.
    I picked-up a Glock 36 (same caliber and capacity) in 2013 and it's been my EDC for a little over 5 years now...
    Glock 36...a 6+1 single-stack .45 acp 'thin' pistol and two (2) back-up mags...it pretty much goes everywhere with me.
    My back-up (or 'other' EDC) is an older Taurus Nickel 85 in .38 Special...which shoots to P.O.A. with Hornady 158 grain, standard-pressure, JHP's...it's a quick 'throw-in-the-pocket-n-go' little revolver.
    I grew up with revolvers...love the little 5-shooters!

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    For me it depends upon the weather and my choice of clothing. Warm summer months in athletic shorts, I will have a Keltech P32 in pocket holster. Most of the time I am in dress pants, so I will pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a pocket holster. Cooler weather I carry Kahr CW9 or FNS40 outside the waistband under a jacket. Many times I will also have a NAA 22 revolver tucked away.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I see that many people here carry various kinds of handguns. I am curious how it works out when switching off between a DAO and a SA with a safety and a DA/SA. I've carried a Glock for most of the 21 years I've been an officer and have 100's of thousands of draws and shots on that platform. I used to carry an off-duty that had a safety and was a SA/DA because it was more convenient. I qualified with them and shot them quite often so I was comfortable carrying them. About 13 years ago I had to draw and fire my Taser. The Taser has a manual safety that turns on the device. I no time to think, I just drew and fired. But it didn't fire because under stress, I didn't activate the safety thus I fumbled. I have so many reps on my Glock/DAO platform that it was my "go to" under stress even though I practiced with other safety platforms and my Taser. I still carry my Taser but I swore off any platforms that require a safety. I just have too many reps on my duty platform to feel safe that I could operate it under stress. My off-duty Gen 5 G19 is IDENTICAL to my to my duty G17M in all practical ways. I even make sure I use the same night sights. I do own a S&W .38 for back-up that I can point/shoot if need be I don't really carry it off-duty since a speed reload under stress might be quit difficult for me. My word of caution (just I tell recruits) be careful carrying something too different to what you typically train with because under stress, it might take valuable seconds to get it working. time you might not have. Just my .02.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I see that many people here carry various kinds of handguns. I am curious how it works out when switching off between a DAO and a SA with a safety and a DA/SA. I've carried a Glock for most of the 21 years I've been an officer and have 100's of thousands of draws and shots on that platform. I used to carry an off-duty that had a safety and was a SA/DA because it was more convenient. I qualified with them and shot them quite often so I was comfortable carrying them. About 13 years ago I had to draw and fire my Taser. The Taser has a manual safety that turns on the device. I no time to think, I just drew and fired. But it didn't fire because under stress, I didn't activate the safety thus I fumbled. I have so many reps on my Glock/DAO platform that it was my "go to" under stress even though I practiced with other safety platforms and my Taser. I still carry my Taser but I swore off any platforms that require a safety. I just have too many reps on my duty platform to feel safe that I could operate it under stress. My off-duty Gen 5 G19 is IDENTICAL to my to my duty G17M in all practical ways. I even make sure I use the same night sights. I do own a S&W .38 for back-up that I can point/shoot if need be I don't really carry it off-duty since a speed reload under stress might be quit difficult for me. My word of caution (just I tell recruits) be careful carrying something too different to what you typically train with because under stress, it might take valuable seconds to get it working. time you might not have. Just my .02.

Bingo! That's why I only carry Glock/striker fired weapons only. Now I'm not saying that striker fired weapons are better. It's strictly since I've always carried a Glock for 28 years, I'm not going to start carrying a weapon with a different protocol. In times of stress, my muscle memory is going to reign supreme, no matter what weapon I'm using. And I just don't trust myself to be able to remember what type I'm carrying. Other opinions may vary. And other's may be able to figure out whether they are carrying a Glock or a 1911 instantly during time of stress. I'm just not that smart.:dunno:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I carry a gen 4 Glock 23 fde with green Trijicon night sights, fully polished super short reset trigger, and a trl2. Oddly enough, my brother in law's IMPD Glock 22 that I now own has an even shorter reset. He said an armorer at IMPD went through it. A female armorer. She's got some skills.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Bingo! That's why I only carry Glock/striker fired weapons only. Now I'm not saying that striker fired weapons are better. It's strictly since I've always carried a Glock for 28 years, I'm not going to start carrying a weapon with a different protocol. In times of stress, my muscle memory is going to reign supreme, no matter what weapon I'm using. And I just don't trust myself to be able to remember what type I'm carrying. Other opinions may vary. And other's may be able to figure out whether they are carrying a Glock or a 1911 instantly during time of stress. I'm just not that smart.:dunno:

That is exactly why I downsized to a single platform, may be a Gov size, Commander,all steel or aluminum frame.

While at the range with my 92 i found myself sweeping the decocker down on the draw, no big deal. I even practice drawing in the dark out side in front of my back stop, although when I do it's not loaded.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I carry a gen 4 Glock 23 fde with green Trijicon night sights, fully polished super short reset trigger, and a trl2. Oddly enough, my brother in law's IMPD Glock 22 that I now own has an even shorter reset. He said an armorer at IMPD went through it. A female armorer. She's got some skills.

You have to watch out for them female armorers.
    They can hard grind your Glock quicker than you can whip it out. :n00b:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

You have to watch out for them female armorers.
    They can hard grind your Glock quicker than you can whip it out. :n00b:
    She has been doing it for decades and has a mouth that would make a sailor blush. She's good people.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    DB9 with two spare mags most of the time.
    CM9 with two spare mags sometimes.
    G43 with two spare mags sometimes.
    G27 with spare mag sometimes.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've been carrying an M&P9c, which I really like, but recently inherited a G26, which I also like, but doesn't fit my hand as well, but does actually fit rather well in my Alien gear holster. Pocket carry a P32 when discreet carry is needed.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    P227 .45 in Mernicle PS6 OWB, Alien Gear IWB. Of course I'm upset that it won't fit in my BAGMASTER fanny pack from back in the day.

Beretta 21A .22 Remora pocket, Generic ankle, Bianchi IWB, Smart Carry deep with my junk.

My carry time is split between Semi autos and revolvers. (that would be another thread)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom