• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    I thought this was supposed to be cheap and easy supper.
    Some of you get pretty extravagant, and I would like to be invited for supper at those places.:drool:;)

We recently found a new Chinese establishment that has excellent food and large portions for the money.
    We can get three entrees, that include a bowl of soup choice, and an egg roll for $20.

We have the biscuits and gravy occasionally, we just had hamburger casserole last night, and planning omelets tonight. We have 1-1/2 dozen eggs that need used.
    We get a decent price on NY strips, so we fit those in, with a loaded baked potato, and a large garden salad. We can each have a 12oz steak dinner for less than $25.
    We also keep some breaded shrimp in the freezer, just in case.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    $3 jacks Pizza with green olives, mushrooms and crushed red pepper along with an expensive bottle of red wine. But the last part is optional.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Oh yeah! We had gravy of some sort almost every day when I was a kid. I don’t know how mom did it, but she would fry bologna and make gravy to put over toast. Various gravies and hotdogs were the bulk of the meals growing up, and when mom would fry burger patties with gravy, it was like we were kings!
    Those sound good.
    That brings back a lot of memories. When I was in Boy Scouts back in the 70's we always took along Dinty Moore on the campouts, especially winter/fall campouts.
    This^^^^!!!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Nothing better than stealth bombing a kroger when it's crowded! The aftermath is phenomenal. :lmfao:
    When my oldest was about 13 we were in the grocery store and I crop-dusted an aisle. We hurried into the next aisle and heard a lady say "OMG!! What is that stink??".

25 years later she still tells that story. :cool:

Don

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I still love the fried chicken Hungry Man TV dinners.

The wife also makes what we call "Churched Up Hamburgers". About 20 years ago she offered to make Salisbury Steak. It was a hamburger patty with brown gravy and a couple cans of sliced mushrooms. I told her "this isnt Salisbury Steak, this is just a churched up hamburger." I got the look. . . but the name stuck.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I remember going grocery shopping in the mid 80's with a $30/week budget. I was making $7/hour and was wondering if leaving the Army during a recession was a good idea.
    The bulk of my budget was spent at the worst grocery store around, Save-A-Lot. Every meal I ate that year could've made this thread...........................hard times build character.....................and keeps ya skinny.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I remember going grocery shopping in the mid 80's with a $30/week budget. I was making $7/hour and was wondering if leaving the Army during a recession was a good idea.
    The bulk of my budget was spent at the worst grocery store around, Save-A-Lot. Every meal I ate that year could've made this thread...........................hard times build character.....................and keeps ya skinny.
    When I met my wife I had mustard, summer sausage, and beer in the fridge, that's it.

Making $12/hr as an apprentice and I wasn't spending much of it on food.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Oh yeah! We had gravy of some sort almost every day when I was a kid. I don’t know how mom did it, but she would fry bologna and make gravy to put over toast. Various gravies and hotdogs were the bulk of the meals growing up, and when mom would fry burger patties with gravy, it was like we were kings!
    Oh I remember the bologna gravy days

Lpherr

Occupied
    That is almost a carbon copy of us in the mid '80's, with the exceptions of there were two of us, wasn't in the Army, and we shopped at Aldi's. that's when Aldi's was cheap eats.
    We had a $30 budget on $7 an hour. We ate a lot of canned chicken and dumplings, and the box mixes similar to HB Helper without hamburger. Had to drink spoiled milk (chunks and all) on a few occasions.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is almost a carbon copy of us in the mid '80's, with the exceptions of there were two of us, wasn't in the Army, and we shopped at Aldi's. that's when Aldi's was cheap eats.
    We had a $30 budget on $7 an hour. We ate a lot of canned chicken and dumplings, and the box mixes similar to HB Helper without hamburger. Had to drink spoiled milk (chunks and all) on a few occasions.
    I still shop at Aldi. Was just there tonight as a matter of fact. Dad always liked them for their produce and I will get some of it (like salad mix, baby carrots, etc.) but mainly shop for staples there. I do like their selection of cheeses. It's surprisingly good. They're owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's, so I think that's why they tend to have some of the more "gourmet" food items at a much lower price.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My kids and wife like them also, I can't look at them for a week after they eat them.
    I remember when I worked at TGI Fridays back in the mid 80's to early 90's and we used to put them in our tuna salad mix (for tuna melts) and we had a 1 gallon jar that had gone bad. Just the smell of that when I opened it put me off of them for good! (No, we didn't serve them. :): )

Lpherr

Occupied
    I still shop at Aldi. Was just there tonight as a matter of fact. Dad always liked them for their produce and I will get some of it (like salad mix, baby carrots, etc.) but mainly shop for staples there. I do like their selection of cheeses. It's surprisingly good. They're owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's, so I think that's why they tend to have some of the more "gourmet" food items at a much lower price.
    They've changed substantially since the '80's. They now carry a lot of health type foods, and have a better quality overall.
    We still stop by there once in a while, and it isn't for chicken and dumplings, or the nasty box stuff.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    1 box of the cheapest mac and cheese you can get. Powder cheese not sauce.
    1 jar spagetti sauce
    1 pound hamburger

brown the burger while the mac is cooking, when the burger and the mac are done drain and put back in same skillet, add spagetti sauce, mix, add cheese powder and stir well. Ready to eat...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They've changed substantially since the '80's. They now carry a lot of health type foods, and have a better quality overall.
    We still stop by there once in a while, and it isn't for chicken and dumplings, or the nasty box stuff.
    Agreed. I find a lot of their stuff to be very good. My weekly shopping is split between them and Kroger. I just picked up some wings tonight (they've been out my last few trips). I just made some of Kroger's wings last weekend and they were tiny. Aldi's brand are big and meaty by comparison.

Top Bottom