• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One kid in school, one kid still at home, otherwise just me and the dog and cats.

Pot pie. Banquet-$.90 or Marie Calendar- $3.00. 5 minutes later, dinner is served. :thumbsup:
    I have never had the Marie Calendar (and people call me a fancy boy), the wife and I would always get the banquet when on sale. that is some cheap eating.

did you ever try the sausage gravy ones? they are pretty good.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have had some bad experiences with Marie Callender pot pies. A few times they have been nearly hollow. Other times they have had a strange taste. I'm done with them.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Left over chicken or smoked sausage cubed and any varity Zatarain's rice mix and a bag of steamable frozon veggies on the side $3.00 +/- and some what healthy.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Cube up SPAM and fry it in a medium sized sauce pan, once it starts to brown up, add sauerkraut and cook until hot. Serve with with mashed potatoes on the side and apple slices or apple slices fried in butter, brown sugar, and cinamon if you are feeling ambitious. Takes me right back to college.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Chicken thighs in the air fryer and a can of V8.

Also, something I call superfood. Fed it to my kids when they were growing up and I still make a batch a couple times a month. Browned ground beef seasoned for tacos. Can of black or kidney beans, drained. Cup of white rice.

Wrap it in a burrito, spoon it over nachos or just heat and eat.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Biscuits and gravy.
    Being from Tennessee I was about 16 years old before I figured out gravy wasn't a soft drink.
    Oh yeah! We had gravy of some sort almost every day when I was a kid. I don’t know how mom did it, but she would fry bologna and make gravy to put over toast. Various gravies and hotdogs were the bulk of the meals growing up, and when mom would fry burger patties with gravy, it was like we were kings!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Aldi red beans and rice mix, with a link of smoked sausage cut up and browned before going into the red beans and rice.

Fresh green beans, canned potatoes, mushrooms, and smoked sausage. Cut up and caramelize the smoked sausage, combine with the other ingredients after they have been sauted enough to soften the green beans.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If I'm in a hurry, or just feeling lazy... I'll dump a can of this in a bowel and nuke it.

View attachment 177161
    That brings back a lot of memories. When I was in Boy Scouts back in the 70's we always took along Dinty Moore on the campouts, especially winter/fall campouts.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Quick and Cheap Carryout

Hit up your local Chinese restaurant and for under $4 (used to be $2 when I was poor) you can get Hot & Sour Soup and a side order of Fried/Steamed Rice. Spoon the rice into the soup as you eat. It will fill you up and if you wanna go fancy add an Egg Roll.

At Home

Lot's of my go to options listed above. Ramen Noodles and Tuna. Will put the tuna in a skillet and give it a little bit of oomph by adding fresh ginger, garlic, or a few chopped up veggies from the frig. and stir fry it. Splash of soy sauce and good to go.

A lot of my other Go To items listed above. Of course a can of Baked Beans (cold or hot) and a Beer make a classic bachelor meal. If going upscale I will add some brown sugar and a shot of bourbon to the beans and pour the beer into a glass.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    A trip to the pantry where there's plenty of quart jars full of real food that I've canned. Tons of choices, chili, beef stew, polish sausage, chicken and ground beef just to name a few. Grab a side of something to go with it then over to the stove for a quick heat and eat.
    Canning isn't just for the apocalypse, it's much more enjoyable when I want to be a lazy, fat bastard.

Top Bottom