• ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I don't know if we have any ATC members on the forum, but from what I know of those I have met, the video is hyperbole and click bait to the max.

The ATC professional accreditation is more akin to an old school apprentice program than the modern American educational system. You ARE NOT going to learn to be a controller sitting in a classroom in Bloomington. Frankly, other than the ability to sit in one spot for hours, I don't know if a current college education provides much if any benefit to a controller other than advancement opportunity.

Interesting fun fact. The U.S., unlike much of the world, has an integrated ATC system (military / civil). If you are flying along talking to a controller, you likely have no idea if you are speaking to a blue suiter sergeant, or a civil servant.

I do hope we have a member with ATC credentials on board. If the standards and expectations have changed in the last 30 years for the worse I would like to know.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One of the talking heads I was listening to yesterday said that sky marshals were no longer on the airline flights. He made it sound like there were none, on any flight(s). They had been redeployed to help illegal immigrants get into the country, help investigate J6 “criminals”, and other priorities for the Biden WH.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    One of the talking heads I was listening to yesterday said that sky marshals were no longer on the airline flights. He made it sound like there were none, on any flight(s). They had been redeployed to help illegal immigrants get into the country, help investigate J6 “criminals”, and other priorities for the Biden WH.
    One of the execs within the Air Marshall service testified to this before congress recently IIRC. Sounded like most of them had been tasked with following people who attended Jan 6 around.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One of the execs within the Air Marshall service testified to this before congress recently IIRC. Sounded like most of them had been tasked with following people who attended Jan 6 around.
    Huh. I guess that guy wasn’t just blowing off then. Thanks.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know if we have any ATC members on the forum, but from what I know of those I have met, the video is hyperbole and click bait to the max.

The ATC professional accreditation is more akin to an old school apprentice program than the modern American educational system. You ARE NOT going to learn to be a controller sitting in a classroom in Bloomington. Frankly, other than the ability to sit in one spot for hours, I don't know if a current college education provides much if any benefit to a controller other than advancement opportunity.

Interesting fun fact. The U.S., unlike much of the world, has an integrated ATC system (military / civil). If you are flying along talking to a controller, you likely have no idea if you are speaking to a blue suiter sergeant, or a civil servant.

I do hope we have a member with ATC credentials on board. If the standards and expectations have changed in the last 30 years for the worse I would like to know.
    IMO the skill set needed to keep the complex airspace picture sharp in your mind and be able to work with it is something you are born with. It can be honed at OKC but not taught to those who otherwise don't have it

Top Bottom