We're all getting older. Keep your doctor in the loop. Please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Thanks to all who have offered kind thoughts and prayers. I really do appreciate even the 'not so good' stories. They are proof, and reminders, that each of us is unique, and that medicine is still as much an art as it is a science. I have the utmost confidence that my cardiology/surgery team will do the best they can. I also realize that sometimes the doodoo hits the fan really hard, and outcomes are not what we expected/hoped for. I've seen people in their 90s come through with flying colors, and go home the next day. I've seen code teams work a person in their 60s for what seemed like forever, only to lose that battle in the end. We play the cards we've got. This is still a choice, for me anyway. My cardiologist told me that I don't HAVE to fix anything, but if I choose not to, I'll continue to suffer increasing congestive heart failure, live on oxygen, and die young. I already can't walk to the mailbox without getting winded. The surgical fix offers a chance to spend 10-20 more years, maybe more, with my wife, children, and grandchildren. I'll take that chance. Not taking it is unthinkable. Still scary, though.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I must admit I’m very impressed with your courage to share this with us and all I can say is God bless you good Sir!

And also I wish you better health!
    Well, I wanted somebody to know why I am not finishing the evaluation of "My new CM9" that I started a while back. Well, that and none of you can see me crying when I get overcome about the whole damn thing. I'll get back to the CM9 when I can get back to the range.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    When I turned 60 I went into the hospital to have my blood pressure regulated, I came out with a broken heart valve one less leg and stage 4 cancer. They just sent me home from a rehabilitation facility after 3 months with 25 prescriptions. Next week I get my new leg and I'll be walking again so I'm going to make the best of what life I have left and enjoy every day of it.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Feeling real lucky after a normal EKG and chest x-ray this morning. Scheduling a pulmonary evaluation since we still have no idea why I'm still not "right".
    I'm hopeful enough that I ordered new shoes this morning.
    Will be thinking of you, Bassett. Hoping things go well.
    If the pulmonary evaluation doesn't give you answers, ask about an echocardiogram. It will show physical problems that don't show up on EKG, like bad/leaky valves.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Prayers for you . Back in 2000 I had open heart surgery, I had mitral valve prolapse, a hole and an enlarged heart. I was born with these defects. Dr. John Brown at IU med center did the surgery. He was able to repair everything ( but the enlarged heart).
    I was only in the hospital three days and am not on any meds. I'll be 76 next month. They are always making strides in medical procedures, so hopefully everything will go well for you.

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Well, I survived my Open Heart Surgery. Before they could release me I had to do 3 things: 1.) Manage a trip to the bathroom by myself. 2.) Shower and shave myself. 3.) Endure a 6-minute walk that involved go up, and then down, 2 stairs. It took me about 3 hours with naps between each activity, but I got it done. I got home at 3:30pm yesterday and basically slept until 6:30 this morning. Today I actually feel pretty good, considering. The sternal incision is the worst. THEY USED A DAMN CHAINSAW TO OPEN MY CHEST! Feels like it, anyway. 6 days on I am controlling pain with only Tylenol and low-dose neurontin - no narcotics. I am slightly better already. At least I can walk around the house without getting winded. If I start breathing too hard, my chest hurts. I even went outside for 2 walks today. One was three houses to the left, the other was 3 houses to the right. I'll be good as new in 60-90 days and back to work. And the firing range. I start a 'Cardiac Rehabilitation' program on 8/25.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Well, I survived my Open Heart Surgery. Before they could release me I had to do 3 things: 1.) Manage a trip to the bathroom by myself. 2.) Shower and shave myself. 3.) Endure a 6-minute walk that involved go up, and then down, 2 stairs. It took me about 3 hours with naps between each activity, but I got it done. I got home at 3:30pm yesterday and basically slept until 6:30 this morning. Today I actually feel pretty good, considering. The sternal incision is the worst. THEY USED A DAMN CHAINSAW TO OPEN MY CHEST! Feels like it, anyway. 6 days on I am controlling pain with only Tylenol and low-dose neurontin - no narcotics. I am slightly better already. At least I can walk around the house without getting winded. If I start breathing too hard, my chest hurts. I even went outside for 2 walks today. One was three houses to the left, the other was 3 houses to the right. I'll be good as new in 60-90 days and back to work. And the firing range. I start a 'Cardiac Rehabilitation' program on 8/25.
    They give you one of those handle things that you're supposed to grab before you cough so you don't split your sternum open?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I want to thank you Bassat. The last few weeks I've been in the same boat with getting weaker and winded easily, just not feeling right. Had a bunch of testing done earlier this week, now waiting on the results. Had it not been for this thread I'd have probably just blew it off to getting older and lazier.
    I hope you get good news from all your testing. If not good news, then a good direction to go, medically. "Older & Lazier" is what I thought until I couldn't even walk around the block anymore. From walking the dogs 4 miles every day to struggling to go 4 blocks in less than 90 days - I knew something was wrong.

If you need some help interpreting the details of the results, ask you cardiologist a boat-load of questions. If you need to dig into the weeds, ask here. I've been a Cardiac Recovery Nurse, and a cardiac patient for years. If you don't want your business public, PM me. I am always happy to help. That is what nurses do. That and I can't go back to work until November, so I got lots of time on my hands.

PS. I cried like a 3-year-old who dropped his ice cream when my doctor said, "Open heart Mitral valve repair surgery". All in all, it was not THAT bad. And it beats the holy **** out of dying.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Prayers for Healing and Recovery.

I should have a heart scan myself, I keep convincing myself that a fatty that works out 6-days a week is “probably” ok.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I hope you get good news from all your testing. If not good news, then a good direction to go, medically. "Older & Lazier" is what I thought until I couldn't even walk around the block anymore. From walking the dogs 4 miles every day to struggling to go 4 blocks in less than 90 days - I knew something was wrong.

If you need some help interpreting the details of the results, ask you cardiologist a boat-load of questions. If you need to dig into the weeds, ask here. I've been a Cardiac Recovery Nurse, and a cardiac patient for years. If you don't want your business public, PM me. I am always happy to help. That is what nurses do. That and I can't go back to work until November, so I got lots of time on my hands.

PS. I cried like a 3-year-old who dropped his ice cream when my doctor said, "Open heart Mitral valve repair surgery". All in all, it was not THAT bad. And it beats the holy **** out of dying.
    Thanks, man, thanks! Give you an idea on my condition. Earlier this year I mowed the yard and trimmed, even cut the brush back along the driveway. Total of maybe 6 hours, spread over 2 mornings due to time. Last mowed and trimmed early in July, no brush cutting, total time 8 hours spread over 4 days, just too tired to do more and that was with frequent breaks. Last couple of times had a kid come out and mow. Went to visit my mom a couple of weeks ago, about an hour drive then stayed for 4-5 hours. Was so worn out had The Boss drive us home. Anything at work that involves much lifting or other hard work, I delegate.

Top Bottom