Well round 2 for carry on campus, State Government level now!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Still won't protect employees (and probably students) from violating ADMINISTRATIVE rules. Purdue can fire us or expel students for violating them, and they can a no gun rule.
    Yes it would. Students are already LEGALLY allowed to carry on campus, we just can't because of the rules. This is similar to the preemption law from last year, just for College Campuses.

I posted this in the thread about meeting with Sen. Banks too.
    Great guy and I am glad to see his happening.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes it would. Students are already LEGALLY allowed to carry on campus, we just can't because of the rules. This is similar to the preemption law from last year, just for College Campuses.

I posted this in the thread about meeting with Sen. Banks too.
    Great guy and I am glad to see his happening.

We shall see. Purdue has it's own set of administrative rules they follow. If the state is going to PROTECT students from being disciplined, it would be nice to include EMPLOYEES as well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We shall see. Purdue has it's own set of administrative rules they follow. If the state is going to PROTECT students from being disciplined, it would be nice to include EMPLOYEES as well.

Did you read the proposed legislation? That is EXACTLY what this does.

Direct link to the bill here (also linked in the OP's article):
    http://www.theindychannel.com/download/2011/1207/29945849.pdf

It is essentially a "preemption" bill, just like last year, but requires STATE agencies to abide by STATE law - no rules of their own regarding carry of firearms. It sets up the IN State Legislature as the sole group for setting firearm carry laws/rules/codes/ordinances.

The media is calling this "college carry" legislation. More scare tactics.

A big "thank you" to Senator Banks and his "people" for all their hard work, and another to the various groups supporting him.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    This bill is very much like last years preemption bill. It will apply to everyone on campus. When this passes Purdue's rules will be null and void. If they try to enforce them they will be in violation of state law. Here's a link to the proposed bill.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i sure do support this very strongly. as a college student at Marian university, i have to leave my EDC at home 5 days a weeek and i hate it. i feel 'naked' without the ability to protect myself if the need ever arised. i spoke my with campus police office early on when i started attending to get permission to carry my holster empty on campus and was told i could be arrested and charged with multiple crimes if i did so... i welcome the start of this new legislation with open arms and hope progress is made!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Isn't Marian private? This will not impact their rules at all. They are not a State institution or agency. It is already perfectly legal to carry on ANY college campus.

I also can't imagine what laws you would be breaking with an empty holster. You aren't even breaking any with a "full" holster.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Jim is an old friend of mine from his days as an undergrad at IU. I'm very proud of him today that he is tackling this. All the anti-gunners, including the closet anti-gunners in his own party, will not miss any trick to try to stop this. IU is very powerful and will pull all the strings they have. I would like to see the petty dictators in IU's administration get their comeuppance for once.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    i sure do support this very strongly. as a college student at Marian university, i have to leave my EDC at home 5 days a weeek and i hate it. i feel 'naked' without the ability to protect myself if the need ever arised. i spoke my with campus police office early on when i started attending to get permission to carry my holster empty on campus and was told i could be arrested and charged with multiple crimes if i did so... i welcome the start of this new legislation with open arms and hope progress is made!!!

They are idiots if they think they can keep you from carrying a HOLSTER! Its a piece of plastic or leather and it isn't a crime to carry a freaking AK into a classroom (although I wouldn't recommend it).

Also WHY would you carry an empty holster? As a protest? Why are people asking permission to protest these days?

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Isn't Marian private? This will not impact their rules at all. They are not a State institution or agency. It is already perfectly legal to carry on ANY college campus.

I also can't imagine what laws you would be breaking with an empty holster. You aren't even breaking any with a "full" holster.

no marian is no longer a private institution. when they changed from marian college to marian university, they took on federal funding and lost private status. from what i was told, i could incite a riot or create an unsafe learning enviroment with my empty holster.. but i can listen to brainwashed kids bad mouth the military and the war that i fought in!! so back asswards some times

and the reason to ask for my protest is that i am attending school for free due to my Gi Bill and should i do something to get kicked out or arrested, i could lose my free education i worked so hard to receive!! then be responsible for paying it back.. its simple economics for me

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Well, you were lied to. Actually, I guess that's not true...you may have actually been arrested, and maybe even charged; but only because the campus police officer is unknowledgeable of the laws. Sounds like a good way to get your tuition completely paid for by the University, to me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    no marian is no longer a private institution. when they changed from marian college to marian university, they took on federal funding and lost private status. from what i was told, i could incite a riot or create an unsafe learning enviroment with my empty holster.

They are still a religious institution, sponsored by the Catholic Church. They are NOT a "state" sponsored school, like IU or Purdue. As such, this bill would have no effect on them at all.

The State colleges/universities that would be impacted are defined in the IC under 21-7-13-32:
    Indiana Code 21-7-13

IC 21-7-13-32
    "State educational institution"
    Sec. 32. (a) "State educational institution" means any university, college, or other educational institution:
    (1) existing on or after March 29, 1971;
    (2) in Indiana;
    (3) that provides programs of:
    (A) collegiate or university education; or
    (B) other postsecondary education; and
    (4) that is supported in whole or in part by appropriations made by the general assembly.
    (b) The term refers to the following:
    (1) Ball State University.
    (2) Indiana State University.
    (3) Indiana University.
    (4) Ivy Tech Community College.
    (5) Purdue University.
    (6) University of Southern Indiana.
    (7) Vincennes University.

If you intentionally incite a riot, then yes, you would be breaking a law. There is no "unsafe learning environment" law in Indiana. Sounds like the campus security folks are confused between campus policy and law.

Top Bottom