• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I started taking melatonin to help me sleep. Granted its only 2mg or so (via cut pills) but it does help.

PSA: more than 3mg isnt recommended unless you have a clinically diagnosed deficiency. So if you want to try it as a general sleep aid, expect to buy a pill cutter because the average full dose exceeds the level the casual insomniac needs. Too much and I (you?) wake up the next day sluggish until ~2PM. /PSA

One thing I noticed about it. It gives me weird dreams. Entertaining dreams. Like last night... I was in Bob Saget's house. He's (was) a cool dude. He even has spring loaded stairs so when you walk on them they bounce. Who knew? There was a helluva lot more to the dream, but I dont recall the rest. I just know I woke up and was in a Bill and Ted's level of "whoa!". :): :): And there was the equivalent of an hour's worth of stuff happening.

As to dreams, I find that if I pay attention, my dreams arent some mysterious thing to interpret; Its simply my brain processing stuff I've experienced in the prior day or so. In this case, my wife was watching full house on TV while I was cooking dinner; The one where DJ skips school to get a pop star's autograph. And we have dark stairs that Ive been trying to tweak the LEDs to give better visibility to two treads. So it al wraps up nicely.

So anyone else find that melatonin causes weird, sometimes VERY vivid dreams?

PS in my wife's case, She's had some dreams that were so intense, She'd have to fight to not be mad at me for things I did in her dreams. She'd literally be grumpy until lunch, simply because I offended her in her dreams. (and then she would finally realize why she was being bi***y and calm the F down. :):)

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Yes, I take melatonin and it is known to cause very vivid dreams. Not sure what the reason is. Perhaps it puts you into REM or deep sleep longer. But man, I have had some crazy dreams. Usually military related or linked to family and friends who have passed. YMMV

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Not on melatonin, but using Nicoderm to quit smoking, very similar experience.
    When I put on a fresh patch in the evening, the dreams were intense, just like you described. Vivid colors, sounds, character development, location changes, and the most entertaining plot lines.

I would wake up and go “whoa... if I remembered that story, it would beat any Oscar-nominated movie ever made!” But dang it, you never remember.... and Hollyweird keeps making crud instead.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I started taking melatonin to help me sleep. Granted its only 2mg or so (via cut pills) but it does help.

PSA: more than 3mg isnt recommended unless you have a clinically diagnosed deficiency. So if you want to try it as a general sleep aid, expect to buy a pill cutter because the average full dose exceeds the level the casual insomniac needs. Too much and I (you?) wake up the next day sluggish until ~2PM. /PSA

One thing I noticed about it. It gives me weird dreams. Entertaining dreams. Like last night... I was in Bob Saget's house. He's (was) a cool dude. He even has spring loaded stairs so when you walk on them they bounce. Who knew? There was a helluva lot more to the dream, but I dont recall the rest. I just know I woke up and was in a Bill and Ted's level of "whoa!". :): :): And there was the equivalent of an hour's worth of stuff happening.

As to dreams, I find that if I pay attention, my dreams arent some mysterious thing to interpret; Its simply my brain processing stuff I've experienced in the prior day or so. In this case, my wife was watching full house on TV while I was cooking dinner; The one where DJ skips school to get a pop star's autograph. And we have dark stairs that Ive been trying to tweak the LEDs to give better visibility to two treads. So it al wraps up nicely.

PS in my wife's case, She's had some dreams that were so intense, She'd have to fight to not be mad at me for things I did in her dreams. She'd literally be grumpy until lunch, simply because I offended her in her dreams. (and then she would finally realize why she was being bi***y and calm the F down. :):)
    I'm taking 10mg and I go to bed around 9-11 and I'm back up at around 2:30-3:30 in the morning. I'm usually up for a couple hours and then go back to sleep until around 7:00 or 8:00.
    I have noticed some confusing dreams but not all the time. I sometimes wonder if I'm really asleep or just dozing. I find my mind is going all the time and sometimes solving problems from the days before.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I take 5 mg and have never had any weird dreams. I usually go to bed around 8 or 8:30 and wake up between 3 and 4 a.m.. No grogginess whatsoever. :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not on melatonin, but using Nicoderm to quit smoking, very similar experience.
    When I put on a fresh patch in the evening, the dreams were intense, just like you described. Vivid colors, sounds, character development, location changes, and the most entertaining plot lines.

I would wake up and go “whoa... if I remembered that story, it would beat any Oscar-nominated movie ever made!” But dang it, you never remember.... and Hollyweird keeps making crud instead.
    I've never used the patch, but when I used Chantix a couple of times, my dreams were really bizarre. I liked it! :):

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville

PS in my wife's case, She's had some dreams that were so intense, She'd have to fight to not be mad at me for things I did in her dreams. She'd literally be grumpy until lunch, simply because I offended her in her dreams. (and then she would finally realize why she was being bi***y and calm the F down
    I have tried melatonin and have never had any luck for the sleeping side of it. It would always cause me to be very rough feeling and slow whenever i was waking up. I did however have very vivid / real feeling dreams.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have tried it a few times... don't use it much anymore.

I often ended up having dreams where I was being pursued by somebody and then I beat them to death and a bloody pulp.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have tried melatonin and have never had any luck for the sleeping side of it. It would always cause me to be very rough feeling and slow whenever i was waking up. I did however have very vivid / real feeling dreams.
    That was me before I knew what I was doing; Taking entire 10mg pills. Then I started digging and discovered studies show that unless you have a diagnosed medical deficiency, nothing above 3mg is recommended as it didnt have any benefit for sleep, and could contribute to restlessness and grogginess the next day. Even negative effects on your mood over time.

Now that I only take 2 ish, I am no longer a grumpy, tired a-hole the next day. Ok, most days.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I am prone to wild dreams even without melatonin, Disturbing, sick, WTF dreams. When i was taking melatonin, i never really noticed an increase. CBD gummies seem like they increase the crazy dreams.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I tried the 5mg tablets through a whole bottle. It didn't benefit my sleep whatsoever, and it didn't make me feel any worse in the mornings. I didn't notice any changes at all, so I quit taking it.

As Cindy mentioned, I also tried the CBD oil for a little over 45 days. Again, the were no changes, especially the advertised benefits.

Vicodin, Darvocet, Codeine, Novocain, etc. also has no affect on me. But, if I take the recommended dose of NyQuil, it makes me sleepy, but not sleep well. And I feel like s**t until the following evening. I don't use NyQuil anymore.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I'm glad I found this thread. It explains a lot I didn't realize. My wife started placing a small M tab in my nightly meds just about last Friday, I think. That night or the next I woke up screaming. Really, I was screaming and she woke me. I had vividly dreamed I had somehow caused a young child to fall off the roof of a church. She hit the cement below and her head smashed like a watermelon. I never have dreams like that. The last several nights have not been much different as far as the dreams go. I can hardly stay awake yesterday and today. I'm not taking any more.

Top Bottom