• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am tired of fighting and spraying weeds. I have a gravel shooting range in the backyard, 50 yards long, 15 feet wide for 12 yards, then 4 feet wide for the rest. All around the barn, and the driveway. I use RM43 total vegetation control, and end up spraying everything 3 or 4 times a year. That gets pricey.

What do you do to PREVENT green growing stuff from coming back?

Thanks, y'all!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What I would do is kill of all the weeds, then apply Prodiamine. Prodiamine is a nonselective, preemergent herbicide. It won't kill grass, but it will keep new grass, and many other weeds, from growing. One name brand is Barricade, but you can get "generic" versions. I use a powdered Prodiamine that I mix with water and spray to prevent crabgrass. It will prevent regular grass that is not established as well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Indeed- the Prodiamine above must be applied every 4 or so months. There are products that promise "up to 1 year" weed control, but those are generally pretty expensive if you're spraying a large area.

Example:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Indeed- the Prodiamine above must be applied every 4 or so months. There are products that promise "up to 1 year" weed control, but those are generally pretty expensive if you're spraying a large area.

Example:

I've tried the Roundup and Ortho Ground Clear that both claim to kill and prevent weeds up to a year. They don't. Eventually their pre-emergent properties wear off and new weeds appear. They might keep my patio clear for 3 or 4 months, but that's it. I guess technically they would kill and prevent them for a year... as long as you re-applied them for the entire year.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    What I would do is kill of all the weeds, then apply Prodiamine. Prodiamine is a nonselective, preemergent herbicide. It won't kill grass, but it will keep new grass, and many other weeds, from growing. One name brand is Barricade, but you can get "generic" versions. I use a powdered Prodiamine that I mix with water and spray to prevent crabgrass. It will prevent regular grass that is not established as well.
    Thank you, kind sir!

What mix ratio do you use? I have a 25gal tow behind sprayer that I use, and I put 1.5gal of RM43 in that, then fill with water. 5lbs of Prodiamine is $68 on amazon. If I could get 3 applications out of that, I think it would work fine.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am tired of fighting and spraying weeds. I have a gravel shooting range in the backyard, 50 yards long, 15 feet wide for 12 yards, then 4 feet wide for the rest. All around the barn, and the driveway. I use RM43 total vegetation control, and end up spraying everything 3 or 4 times a year. That gets pricey.

Thanks, y'all!
    I'm sticking with used motor oil in a sprayer :):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I calculated correctly the treated area is a little over 1000 sq ft. Pretty small area. Just keep smacking it with generic Roundup. It’s super cheap. A 2.5 gal jug is $50 maybe. Look for 41% glyphosate at the farm store. Mix it 20:1 with water.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thank you, kind sir!

What mix ratio do you use? I have a 25gal tow behind sprayer that I use, and I put 1.5gal of RM43 in that, then fill with water. 5lbs of Prodiamine is $68 on amazon. If I could get 3 applications out of that, I think it would work fine.
    How thick is the gravel? Is it weeds growing through or weeds growing in the gravel. If it's only growing in the gravel then dragging it every so often may stop the growth. Don't think there is anything you can do only once though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When my dad worked for the Marion County Health Dept., he had some "connections" in the highway department and I can remember him storing Dioxin (aka Agent Orange) in our shed (back in the 60's and 70's). Highway department used it to keep clover in check beside the highways.

Don't know how well it prevented re-growth, but it sure killed stuff good! Unfortunately, it did the same (eventually) to people that got sprayed with it too. :(

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    More gravel.
    Number twos of six inches depth with number 58 to bind and number nines to top dress. Enough depth to drain off the water and keep it dry. No moisture no weeds.
    About 500 a tri axel delivered. If the driver can drop it correctly you can move it manually If not a day rental of a skid steer or knowing someone who can skid steer or a box grader but number twos are hard on stuff.

or you can buy a pull behind sprayer and spray.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Why not get rid of the gravel, dump some good dirt on it and then some good grass seed? Without having to mow around it, it will probably reduce the time you are mowing by a little bit. And then so what if a few weeds invade the grass. Beats putting down poisons!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette

Thanks, y'all!
    When I worked for a farmer in Western KS, and fighting bindweed, we used Tordon. At that time you had to be licensed to use it. It basically "killed" the ground for 2 years and NOTHING would grow where sprayed. You can now get a ready to use mix without license at Tractor Supply (and probably others) that would make quick work of that limited area. 1 Quart would cover your area 2x for $15.
    Until looking for it just now, I didn't realize it was that inexpensive. I should get a quart for my driveway!

It doesn't claim to prevent grass, but I tell you, the ground was DEAD when we put it down.
    --Rick

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When I worked for a farmer in Western KS, and fighting bindweed, we used Tordon. At that time you had to be licensed to use it. It basically "killed" the ground for 2 years and NOTHING would grow where sprayed. You can now get a ready to use mix without license at Tractor Supply (and probably others) that would make quick work of that limited area. 1 Quart would cover your area 2x for $15.
    Until looking for it just now, I didn't realize it was that inexpensive. I should get a quart for my driveway!

It doesn't claim to prevent grass, but I tell you, the ground was DEAD when we put it down.
    --Rick
    Make sure no Tordon gets on any exposed tree roots of any trees you want to keep.

Top Bottom