very cool! i wouldnt want a ranger, only cause i wouldnt fit in a ranger :D

but yea a diesel full size done up would be cool

jake

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Actually this has been going on for years.
    Iraq and Lybia both used Toyota Crew cab trucks
    Have seen vidio of them in Somalia and the Sudan also.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only "Mods" they are making is installing a Block Heater, AT Tires, and putting a Heavier Bumper Package on the trucks. You can already buy a Full Size Diesel here set up as toughly as these little POS...

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only "Mods" they are making is installing a Block Heater, AT Tires, and putting a Heavier Bumper Package on the trucks. You can already buy a Full Size Diesel here set up as toughly as these little POS...
    I was mainly talking about these specifically, I understand its not much to build up a fullsize. I'm envious of them for getting a crew cab 4X4 diesel ranger...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was mainly talking about these specifically, I understand its not much to build up a fullsize. I'm envious of them for getting a crew cab 4X4 diesel ranger...
    I almost bought one when I was in Germany, till I found out there is NO WAY you are allowed to bring it home...
    Sigh...

Would have made a great little farm truck. The Ranger I was looking at got like 40 MPG on a Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engine too...
    The thing that got me was the price point $25000 seems cheap. Can you even but a new 4X4 here for that with no mods???
    I am sure you can get a Base Model 1/2T for under that...
    Then again I have not priced 1/2T trucks for Several Years...

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've been looking at a 1980s era Toyota HJ70 troopie with a pickup bed. Debating getting it. While researching it, I found out a lot about the history of technicals (pickup trucks armed with heavy weaponry). Apparently the private ownership of certain types of Toyotas are outlawed in some middle eastern countries because they're so effective as technicals. Makes an old school toyota diesel a very tempting purchase idea.....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've been looking at a 1980s era Toyota HJ70 troopie with a pickup bed. Debating getting it. While researching it, I found out a lot about the history of technicals (pickup trucks armed with heavy weaponry). Apparently the private ownership of certain types of Toyotas are outlawed in some middle eastern countries because they're so effective as technicals. Makes an old school toyota diesel a very tempting purchase idea.....
    Some people think to be an effective Fighting Vehicle it must be large and Armored...

Not really the case if you are willing to think outside of the box... ;)

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The most effective use of technicals that I can think of was the 7th Armored Division use of heavily armed Jeeps & Rovers in their North Africa campaign during WWII, where they were very effective for "hit & run" type skirmishes.

As far as potential post-SHTF use, I personally think any sort of militarized vehicle would draw an awful lot of attention, mostly unwanted.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The most effective use of technicals that I can think of was the 7th Armored Division use of heavily armed Jeeps & Rovers in their North Africa campaign during WWII, where they were very effective for "hit & run" type skirmishes.
    Great Example!

As far as potential post-SHTF use, I personally think any sort of [STRIKE]militarized [/STRIKE]vehicle would draw an awful lot of attention, mostly unwanted.
    FTFY...;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The British LRRP's in North Africa, during WWII ran around in modified Land Rovers. So the concept has been out there for awhile. I've thought of doing something similar with a full size Bronco of Blazer...perhaps minus machine gun mounts.

All it is a Modern Adaptation of tech to Proven Calvary Tactics... ;)

As far as using a Full size Blazer/Bronco, I would prefer something smaller and more agile myself. Like a Jeep or Samurai size... :popcorn:

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    kinda looks like the one on my 86ish yota. If i ever figure out how to post pics i would show everyone.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I bought a then "N E W" FORD F-250 in 2008, with a 6.4 dual turbo diesel, I don't yow, pull, or race, but I believe it's better to have & not need, than need & not have.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I almost bought one when I was in Germany, till I found out there is NO WAY you are allowed to bring it home...
    Sigh...

Would have made a great little farm truck. The Ranger I was looking at got like 40 MPG on a Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engine too...

I am sure you can get a Base Model 1/2T for under that...
    Then again I have not priced 1/2T trucks for Several Years...
    yep... farking EPA

Top Bottom