War: Bald face hornets vs yellow jackets 50+ feet up.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Let me tell a story...... Way back in my reckless youth, not so young that I didn't know better mind you, There was a hive of hornets up two stories in the corner of my parent's house. This was one of those huge Irvington mansions. It had those asbestos shingles, and their hole was at the 90 degree juncture of two shingles. This bastion was impervious to any and every assault that my evil genius young mind could bring to bear. This includes little napalm fire bombs delivered quite accurately by slingshot.

One fine day the hornets were especially cocky and happy and were just hanging out and causing trouble. On that day I resolved to get those sorry sons of bi***es. After thinking a bit I went to mom's closet and grabbed a handful of mothballs..... Then I went to dad's den and got the old break action Stevens 16 gauge shotgun. I dropped a mothball into the breech and it rolled or slid right out the front, PERFECT FIT! I then cut the top off of a trap shell and loaded the shot cup with 3 moth balls and went outside. Standing there looking at their happy little faces I got ever more evil, three wasn't going to satisfy me! I slid 6 more moth balls down the barrel never considering what the weight of that load must be.

I popped it up, took my bead, and squeezed it off! WHAM!! What a recoil! It literally sat me down right in the driveway! The result was a perfect little hole, about one inch in diameter, right where the quarter inch one had been, BULLSEYE! Nine moth balls, delivered perfectly on target, like a smart-bomb filled with VX gas. Needless to say those little thugs packed their bags and moved out that very night.

Now, for the safety conscious, I am not suggesting anyone engage in such reckless juvenile behavior........... I am just saying that they were gone within about 2 hours never to be seen again.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Mothballs and slingshot sounds great for the tree nest. As for the ground nest, lay a bug zapper over the hole at dusk and stomp the ground a bit to get them mad. They'll hit the light pretty hard.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have an electric fly swatter that I will donate to this project. It is essentially a handheld bug zapper. Rubberband the switch down and drop it on top of the hole in the ground. Should be good for some amusement.

If you want to get Frankenstein on them, I have here a neon-light transformer (9,000 volts!) It would be very simple to fabricate an industrial strength bug zapper! Um....... Just in case burning them to death doesn't seem satisfying and you want to turn them into plasma........

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have an electric fly swatter that I will donate to this project. It is essentially a handheld bug zapper. Rubberband the switch down and drop it on top of the hole in the ground. Should be good for some amusement.

If you want to get Frankenstein on them, I have here a neon-light transformer (9,000 volts!) It would be very simple to fabricate an industrial strength bug zapper! Um....... Just in case burning them to death doesn't seem satisfying and you want to turn them into plasma........

I have a bug zapper, but no ground based wasp nest... if I could put the zapper up by the hornet nest, I would.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I had a nest of ground bees last year. They were at my fence line. I avoided them and lucky they did not make it threw the winter. Nature took care of it for me. I have used the vacuum sweeper method with great luck. Although I hate cleaning it out! Fear of a few of those SOB's still being alive!

When I was a kid, young and dumb we taunted a hornets nest trying to kill them. We managed to knock it out of the tree with a wrist rocket sling shot and a hand full of rocks. I did not get stung but one of the neighborhood kids got nailed about 30 times. He was screwed up bad! Ended up in the hospital. The DA decided to take a closer look at the nest while it was on the ground. Not a good ideal!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Boy, I got lit up today. A new nest of yellow jackets didn't like me mowing over their house, I guess. That nest wasn't there last week...or if it was, they were just particularly ****** off today. But hopefully they all went down in an inferno just now. Heh!

But damn, I hurt.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Boy, I got lit up today. A new nest of yellow jackets didn't like me mowing over their house, I guess. That nest wasn't there last week...or if it was, they were just particularly ****** off today. But hopefully they all went down in an inferno just now. Heh!

But damn, I hurt.

Good job!

I'm going to keep hitting this nest once or twice a day until it falls apart, they exhaust themselves repairing it, or they move/die out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good job!

I'm going to keep hitting this nest once or twice a day until it falls apart, they exhaust themselves repairing it, or they move/die out.

Did you ever find your yellow jacket nest? After I got done mowing, I went back to the scene of the ambush and just scanned the area and watched for activity. After a couple of minutes, I saw something fly towards the ground. Soon I was able to zero in where those evil little ******** were flying into and out of. Once I found the spot, I kind of crept up on it and was able to see the hole--they actually had a small area of grass cleared back from the hole...it actually made it easier to find last night, with the moon light we had.

I'm going back out today to see if there are any survivors.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    This thread should have the alternate name of: "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS!" :rolleyes:

What about one of these with Sevin or another type of powdered insecticide? Do you have enough water pressure to get it that high up in the tree?

pACE3-962087enh-z7.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I found this in my basement (it was under the insulation before I pulled it back) a few weeks ago.

If it had been outside I would have done the hey ya'll watch this on it, but since it was in my unfinished basement, there was not a lot of places to run. I got tagged in the neck one time pulling the insulation back.

I called a local exterminator (Magnus Pest Mgmt) and they took care of it quickly and fairly cheaply.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Invite the neighbor kids over and tell them it's a piñata.
    :rofl:

Having that 'battle' going on is like having a war in the back yard between (miniature) Al Qaeda and ISIL. One group is pissed off most of the time, and the other is pissed off all the time! I think hornets are born :xmad:

Best of luck with this one. Might be more effective to give the house away! :lmfao:

In the mean time, maybe try:
    coenchair.gif

Top Bottom