War: Bald face hornets vs yellow jackets 50+ feet up.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a problem. I have a war going on in the back yard. There is a bald face hornet nest 50 or more feet up in my oak tree above my back patio.

Normally, as I have for the last few years, I would live and let live, but the acorns are dropping and each time the nest gets hit, they swarm. To make matters worse there is another a yellow jacket nest somewhere nearby that is at war with them. I find both species of stingers dead under the nest, but can't tell where the yellow jackets are coming from or I would kill them as the bald faces never have bothered me... I've even had a few land and calmly explore my arms before. But, the last time I mowed I was angerly confronted by both kinds and I DO NOT KNOW if i am allergic.

Time to fight them.

I'd like to have fun with this and and let loose on them, but firearms are out of the question... maybe an BB or airsoft, but i only have metal BB guns and I live in a neighborhood, and I don't know if it plastic will reach.

How would you tackle this in a fun and creative way?

THIS IS TAKEN FREE-HAND WITH A NIKON P100 @ FULL 26X OPTICAL ZOOM. I love this camera. :)
    DSCN5659_zps95660979.jpg

NO ZOOM
    DSCN5657arrow_zpsba6b8f75.jpg

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I wish you the best of luck in your 'war' endeavor.

All that I ask is that what ever course of action you decide to take, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of God and Country, record what ever you do and post it back to this thread :)

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My experience with yellow jackets, is not a pleasant one. Look for a 1/2" hole in the ground, observe said hole(s), make sure it is a nest. Wait til dusk, pour mixture of K-1 and oil into holes light and watch in victory.

The hornet nest I would go Robin Hood style, flaming arrow. Please video and post results here. :yesway:

Edit: I see the flaming arrow won't work, perhaps an aerosol bug bomb on an arrow?

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    I have two hornets nests above my houste this year in the same tree. Fortunately I do not have a war with them and the yellow jackets going on. Good luck with that one. Because of the height it would probably be best to try to locate the yellow jackets and go that route of killing them first. Maybe check fence rows or anything in your yard that does not get disturbed much to look for a ground nest.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do you have a pellet rifle? If you shoot it enough times with a pellet rifle you will effectively "cut it down". Just make sure you're at a safe distance and you should be good to go.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Do you have a pellet rifle? If you shoot it enough times with a pellet rifle you will effectively "cut it down". Just make sure you're at a safe distance and you should be good to go.

I have a Daisy 111B BB gun, a CO2 Beretta 92 clone BB pistol, and a Crossman 1000x pellet rifle. The Crossman is out, too powerful and noisy, the Daisy would be the first choice, but I don't want to end up with a MWAG call to my house as I am so close to a school and church.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I remembered my wife has a little pink springer airsoft I used to teach her basic safety, handling, and racking years ago... I got 3 good "hits" before I ran out, but barely any reaction... need more power.

If anyone is willing to loan me a battery powered airsoft rifle capable of shooting continuously while nearly straight up, I will post a video.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Again... If anyone is willing to loan me a battery powered airsoft rifle capable of shooting continuously while held nearly straight up, I will post a video.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wish you the best of luck in your 'war' endeavor.

All that I ask is that what ever course of action you decide to take, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of God and Country, record what ever you do and post it back to this thread :)

I second this. :popcorn:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I remembered my wife has a little pink springer airsoft I used to teach her basic safety, handling, and racking years ago... I got 3 good "hits" before I ran out, but barely any reaction... need more power.

If anyone is willing to loan me a battery powered airsoft rifle capable of shooting continuously while nearly straight up, I will post a video.

In all seriousness this time, I may be your man. I am the proud owner of a VERY powerful airsoft rifle capable of accurate/painful shots at 200 ft. The only issue is, it's at home, I'm at school. I may be able to get it this weekend though

Top Bottom