• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    OK, so I am watching Sons of Guns and the "master key" rail mounted SBS is EXACTLY what I am wanting. Can someone assist me in understanding if this system would be considered a cut down shotgun requiring a 200 tax or a originally manufactured SBS requiring an AOW tax of 5.

If someone can assist me in fully understanding all the ins and outs of class 3 dealing with a SBS and Indiana.

Thanks in advance.

INGunGuy

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    SBS's can only be owned by .gov and SOT's in Indiana.

Also, even if they were legal, just because it is a factory SBS doesn't make it an AOW.

AOW is a different classification of weapon. Two different types of weapons.

Welcome to NFA.....it is clear as MMMMUUUUUDDDDDDD.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Corey I know you know way more then me but I had heard a rumor or might have even read it here on ONGO that the "MasterKey" was not considered a SBS.

I seem to remember VUPD being involved in the thread but I can't find it.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Corey I know you know way more then me but I had heard a rumor or might have even read it here on ONGO that the "MasterKey" was not considered a SBS.

I seem to remember VUPD being involved in the thread but I can't find it.

That was based on a tech letter from ATF and the "owner" of the letter can believe what he wants, but I wouldn't touch one with a 1000 foot pole nor recommend any of my customer do so either.

Tech letters do not make it right, it just conveys what ATF's opinion was on the day they wrote the letter.

Until I see it in the handbook I aint doing it.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I was under the impression that a Serbu super short with a pistol grip was legal in Indiana as a AOW.

INGunGuy

You are correct, AOW's are legal. SBS's are not. It is my opinion that an AOW, once mounted on a "shoulder fired weapon" also become shoulder fired.....hence a "shotgun" or a SBS.

Someone had a tech letter that said otherwise, but I personally don't buy it. Even if ATF says it is ok and that mounting your AOW does not constitute manufacturing a SBS, IN still has a state law against possessing a SBS.

It is a catch-22

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    For a shotgun to be an AOW, it can never, ever, have had a shoulder stock attached to it.

the most popular one seems to be the Serbu Super Shorty.

And I dont want to put a shoulder stock on it, I want to have it mounted under my AR-15. Anyone know of a shop that sell them in Clark county? Also these would be the AOW 5 dollar tax correct? And how long does it normally take to process all the paperwork?

INGunGuy

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You can't...i guess i should say "shouldn't". The only way in indiana for you to own a shotgun with a short barrel is to do the AOW such as a serbu.

images

As such, serbu's have never had a stock on them. Now to mount a serbu on a rifle effectively puts a stock on the serbu, giving you a short barreled shotgun...which you can't own in indiana.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IIRC that still counts as putting a sholder stock on it.
    Not according to the ATF FTB letter referrenced earlier in the thread. It's been a while since I read the letter, but from what I recall, the stock on the rifle doesn't count as a stock on the shotgun. They don't consider an masterkey setup on an AR15 rifle to be an SBS.

Also as stated by Curraheeguns, take that with a grain of salt. They've reversed letter before and they likely will in the future.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Not according to the ATF FTB letter referrenced earlier in the thread. It's been a while since I read the letter, but from what I recall, the stock on the rifle doesn't count as a stock on the shotgun. They don't consider an masterkey setup on an AR15 rifle to be an SBS.

Also as stated by Curraheeguns, take that with a grain of salt. They've reversed letter before and they likely will in the future.

Like you (and pretty much everyone else in the original thread) said, actually doing that is not a good idea. Id guess that was a letter that just happened to sneak out on an odd day from an odd investigator. No way that would hold up in any way shape or form, and when they reverse their opinion you don't want to be on the wrong side of that. Not that I wouldn't love to see an actual ruling on the books, id be the first person in line to buy one, as I feel my AR "needs" a master-key :D

Top Bottom